Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Site Huts

Is there a minimum standard these things have to be built to?

Presumably the decking doesn't have to be 9 x 3's?

What should the siding be? In timber that is? I presume 4 X 2 is a
minimum for insulation or whatever. Is there the same minimum
specification? I couldn't get away with 2 x 3 could I?

Or would that blow the roof away in a decent storm?

Ditto rafters. Same impeccable frog specifications I suppose? (What
size is 3 x 2 these days?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Mar, 19:19, Weatherlawyer wrote:
Is there a minimum standard these things have to be built to?

Presumably the decking doesn't have to be 9 x 3's?

What should the siding be? In timber that is? I presume 4 X 2 is a
minimum for insulation or whatever. Is there the same minimum
specification? I couldn't get away with 2 x 3 could I?

Or would that blow the roof away in a decent storm?

Ditto rafters. Same impeccable frog specifications I suppose? (What
size is 3 x 2 these days?)

PS

Any links to timber specs and distances apart per length?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:21:20 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

On 29 Mar, 19:19, Weatherlawyer wrote:
Is there a minimum standard these things have to be built to?

Presumably the decking doesn't have to be 9 x 3's?

What should the siding be? In timber that is? I presume 4 X 2 is a
minimum for insulation or whatever. Is there the same minimum
specification? I couldn't get away with 2 x 3 could I?

Or would that blow the roof away in a decent storm?

Ditto rafters. Same impeccable frog specifications I suppose? (What
size is 3 x 2 these days?)

PS

Any links to timber specs and distances apart per length?

The reason behind your question is unclear. You might consider it is
no-one's business, but it might help to say a little more in order to
obtain some useful advice.

Foe instance, if you were planning on making one, I would suggest
instead that you bought a secondhand one and fettled it up. It is
likely to be far, far cheaper and quicker than making one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote...
I would suggest
instead that you bought a secondhand one and fettled it up]

?

a new word for me, is that what you meant to type..
where did you get it from?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fettle

–noun
1.
state; condition: in fine fettle.
–verb (used with object)
2.
Ceramics. to remove mold marks from (a cast piece).
3.
Metallurgy.
a.
to remove sand from (a casting).
b.
to repair the hearth of (an open-hearth furnace).

et·tle (fe(t'l)
n.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:43:27 +0100, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
Bruce wrote...
I would suggest
instead that you bought a secondhand one and fettled it up]

?

a new word for me, is that what you meant to type..
where did you get it from?

To fettle. Fettling is a word that is very commonly used in the
construction industry for fixing something, tinkering with it or
improving it in a small way. To restore something to good condition,
a.k.a. good fettle, or fine fettle.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fettle

Why look it up in a US dictionary?

I suppose it's jargon, but I have heard it used on dozens of
construction sites over the last 36 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:53:44 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Why look it up in a US dictionary?

Some more useful links he

http://www.dictionary.net/fettle
http://www.websters-online-dictionar...Fe/Fettle.html
http://neonblueweb.co.uk/dreams/2008...he-day-fettle/
http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/s...313608198baae/

(to see the relevance of the last post, click on the link "View the
Entire Topic")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
Bruce wrote...
I would suggest
instead that you bought a secondhand one and fettled it up]

?

a new word for me, is that what you meant to type..
where did you get it from?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fettle

It's a northern expression. Fred Dibnah (for example, who was from
Bolton near Manchester) used it all the time.

[From Middle English fetlen, to make ready, possibly from Old English
fetel, girdle.]

"To make ready" is a good start.

It applies to something that already exists and either:

(1) was once in good condition and requires work to bring it back to
good condition or
(2) is newly built but not completely finished or not properly adjusted
for optimal performance.

Depending on context, it could mean to tidy up, repair, refurbish,
calibrate, adjust, lubricate, tinker with, to convert (by whatever means
necessary) from "rough" to "smooth" or from "nearly there" to "really
there" in terms of either fit, finish or running.

On a sliding scale "fettle" indicates minimal work is required.

fettle - overhaul - rebuild - scrap (not worth spending any time on).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
[...]

I need a woman to fettle me?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:52:10 +0100, Dave Osborne wrote:
a new word for me, is that what you meant to type.. where did you get
it from?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fettle

It's a northern expression. Fred Dibnah (for example, who was from
Bolton near Manchester) used it all the time.

Amongst engineering friends, it's always been a tounge-in-cheek
expression, roughly translating as "beat the crap out of it until it fits
properly" :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Because I didn't want to waste my life chasing through reams of thread
talking to self indulgent pedants who may not know the answer but will
certainly have the time on an evening like tonight.

It's quite a simple problem structural engineering is geared to
exacting safety requirement not likely to be met with in temporary
accommodation in which there is to be no one resident.

However will the sides need be the same materials as required in a
house of the same size, a wooden bungalow perhaps?

I have to admit I forgot to mention the hard standing it will be on
once housed a dairy or something similar on a farm, a brick and
concrete base with services. So the kitchen and toilets have to go in
a certain space.

No particular offence to you, Bruce, though you do tent to feed trolls
and fools or both:

If you feel excited by my reply but unable to help can you please take
any childish chasings after meanings elsewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:27:39 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

If you feel excited by my reply but unable to help can you please take
any childish chasings after meanings elsewhere?

Putting your gratuitous personal abuse to one side for a moment, it
does seem to have escaped you that I was actually the only person who
replied with a helpful suggestion. ;-)

Just to remind you, as your memory obviously doesn't retain such
details for very long, I suggested that you should buy a used site
cabin and fettle it up. There are plenty of sources of used site
cabins, and buying one of those can be a lot cheaper than buying the
materials to build one yourself.

Please don't bother to thank me, as having put you in my kill file, I
shan't be reading any response that you care to make.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On 29 Mar, 19:29, Bruce wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:21:20 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer

sigh

However will the sides need be the same materials as required in a
house of the same size, a wooden bungalow perhaps?

I have to admit I forgot to mention the hard standing it will be on
once housed a dairy or something similar on a farm, a brick and
concrete base with services. So the kitchen and toilets have to go in
a certain space.

snip childish abuse

Kitchen and toilets in a site hut?
I think most people will think of a site hut as a shelter with seats and a
table where the site workers can shelter when they have their breaks.
That was what was provided when I worked on construction sites in the summer
holidays.

You seem to have forgotten to mention almost everything of use.
Your general level of information and helfulness will no doubt be reflected
in the responses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 11:51, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

On 29 Mar, 19:29, Bruce wrote: On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:21:20 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer

sigh

However will the sides need be the same materials as required in a
house of the same size, a wooden bungalow perhaps?

I have to admit I forgot to mention the hard standing it will be on
once housed a dairy or something similar on a farm, a brick and
concrete base with services. So the kitchen and toilets have to go in
a certain space.

snip childish abuse

Kitchen and toilets in a site hut?
I think most people will think of a site hut as a shelter with seats and a
table where the site workers can shelter when they have their breaks.
That was what was provided when I worked on construction sites in the summer
holidays.

You seem to have forgotten to mention almost everything of use.
Your general level of information and helfulness will no doubt be reflected
in the responses.

No kidding?

a useful site adsf Home Repair 0 April 20th 07 08:10 AM
see the most hot new site of 2007see the most hot new site of 2007 mote UK diy 1 March 21st 07 02:40 PM
useful site kimi UK diy 0 December 7th 05 09:26 PM