Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "impact" battery driver questions/loft floorboarding

Hello

Here's another couple of questions prior to us startig the job over this
Easter:

My mate has a 12V Makita impact driver - it looks like a small battery drill
but is intended for use as a screwdriver. He reckons the impact action makes
screws go in faster and easier and he swears by his.

I am considering buying one (£60-70?) - it will be used for DIY not as a
tool of my trade - but when I do the loft floorboarding next weekend, I am
afraid that the "impact" function will crack all of the plaster on the
ceilings of the bedrooms below etc.

1) How "impacting" is the impact action on these sorts of tools? Would I be
better off using my Yankee pump-action screwdriver instead?

Last time I did loft boarding I used the 18mm B&Q stuff and found that, with
chipboard screews, I didn't even need to pre-drill pilot holes; the Yankee
drove them in fine. I'm hoping to experience the same approach with the
22mm higher-density flooring grade boards that I am having delivered.

2) So does anyone know if chipboard screws will self-drill into this heavier
duty chipboard T&G flooring? The heavier-duty stuff is known as "MR
Flooring Grade P5 V313 22mm Chipboard" and comes in boards measuring
2400x600mm (TG5).

Thanks for any thoughts on these matters.