Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "minor" underpinning

I have to fit a rest bend / stub soil pipe for a new toilet right
against the brick wall between the hallway and the kitchen that is
holding up my stairs and some of the first floor joists. This wall it
turns out does not have 2ft deep foundations like the rest of the
house, but is 1ft down and begins with 2 rows of 9" brick direct to
the ground, with the half-brick wall above. I will have to dig down
below this foundation depth to fit the rest bend and drainage.
Now, not normally a problem, but since the wall is only 1m wide and
would need about 300mm wide trench for bedding, I'm worried about
stability.
Should I perform some type of underpinning operation to this wall ?
Hammer in some sort of metal plates ?
Any thoughts ?
Thanks,
Simon.