Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless connections

I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will both
wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point me to
instructions on how this can be done please.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Mar, 12:31, "the_constructor"
wrote:
I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will both
wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point me to
instructions on how this can be done please.

Jim

Jim,

I think what you're after is 'bridge mode'. the details will depend on
the model of your router. I've certainly done this with a Linksys
Router and a Linksys Access Point. The documentation explicitly stated
that the Access point would only support a single device, although it
worked quite happily with a 4 pot hub hanging off it.

M.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2010 12:38, Michael Murray (HotM) wrote:
On 16 Mar, 12:31, .uk
wrote:
I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will both
wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point me to
instructions on how this can be done please.

Jim

Jim,

I think what you're after is 'bridge mode'. the details will depend on
the model of your router. I've certainly done this with a Linksys
Router and a Linksys Access Point. The documentation explicitly stated
that the Access point would only support a single device, although it
worked quite happily with a 4 pot hub hanging off it.

M.

It would be unusual to have a router that would do bridge mode. Access
points yes, routers usually no.

Just buya wireless dongle. They're cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:31:16 -0000 someone who may be
"the_constructor" wrote this:-

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed

I assume so:-)

and will both wireless routers be able to talk to each other.

That is a more difficult question:-) It depends on what facilities
are available in the spare wireless router.

If so, can you point me to
instructions on how this can be done please.

If you post the make and model of router then someone may be
prepared to give you a hand. A good step would be to get hold if the
instructions, most can be found on the Interweb thingy if you don't
have them, and read them. Anyone who is prepared to help you would
probably have to do the same thing.

I concur with the others who have described what is needed as a
bridge and that it may be a lot easier to buy a dongle.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, the_constructor
wrote:
I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and
will both wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can
you point me to instructions on how this can be done please.

Jim

Not sure that you can easily make two routers talk to each wirelessly. You
could with a cable of course - but that's not what you want.

*However*, if the computer in the house is close to its router, why not use
a wired connection for that, and transfer the dongle to the one in the
doghouse (sorry, shed)?

[It's always a good idea to have at least *one* wired connection to a
wireless router 'cos it makes it much easier to recover if you ever screw up
the wireless config].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 16, 12:31*pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will both
wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point me to
instructions on how this can be done please.

Jim

You can upgrade some wireless routers to dd-wrt (http://www.dd-
wrt.com) which will allow for what you want to do. I've never had the
need, but there is plenty of information on their site and in the wiki
(http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers).

Good luck!
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Bartram
writes
wrote:
[...]

I've got at least one router, i think two that have bridge mode, though
I've never used it.

Just buya wireless dongle. They're cheap.

That seems really a sensible option. Though I'm wondering how far the
shed is and whether there would be decent wireless reception anyway
(though fiddling about with directional antennas and stuff could improve
things)

If not than some sort of powerline adapter seem the easy way to go.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 16/03/2010 12:31, the_constructor wrote:
I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will both
wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point me to
instructions on how this can be done please.

Jim

Do you realise how cheap wireless dongles can be? (Certainly available
around a fiver.)

So much easier. I'd acquire a suitable wireless dongle and be done with it.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message , Chris Bartram
writes
wrote:
[...]

my experience with wireless to a shed has been uniformly crap.

Get some hotplugs and try them first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
On 16/03/2010 12:31, the_constructor wrote:
I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will
both
wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point
me to
instructions on how this can be done please.

Jim

Do you realise how cheap wireless dongles can be? (Certainly available
around a fiver.)

So much easier. I'd acquire a suitable wireless dongle and be done with it.

One of the cheapo ones might not do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 16/03/2010 21:54, Gib Bogle wrote:
Rod wrote:

Do you realise how cheap wireless dongles can be? (Certainly available
around a fiver.)

So much easier. I'd acquire a suitable wireless dongle and be done
with it.

One of the cheapo ones might not do it.

Of course. But the spare wireless router might not either.

I sort of guessed, with no real evidence, that the spare router might be
an older one that would likely be 802.11b or g only. And the main router
might have 802.11n. If that were to be the case, a new 11b/g/n dongle
might actually also allow the possibility of better performance (speed
and reliability) than the spare router.

That might be a little more expensive. An example:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Edimax-EW-7711Uan-Worlds-smallest-11g-and-%2811n-150mbps%29-wireless-USB-3dbi-High-Gain-Win7-Ready

(I have found Edimax stuff very reliable.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will
both wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point
me to instructions on how this can be done please.

Home plugs might be a simpler solution - assuming that the shed is connected
to your main electricity supply - or buying a Wifi adapter for the PC.

(Try www.thinkbroadband.com for a more specific answer as to how to
configure your spare router.)

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will
both wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point
me to instructions on how this can be done please.

Home plugs might be a simpler solution - assuming that the shed is
connected to your main electricity supply - or buying a Wifi adapter for
the PC.

(Try www.thinkbroadband.com for a more specific answer as to how to
configure your spare router.)

--
Michael Chare

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

There I was trying to save a bit of the old cash by using what I had.

A posting on my local Recycle group netted me a wifi dongle which works very
well indeed.

Just as a matter of interest, anyone seen this?

http://www.commodoreusa.citymax.com/index.html

Thanks again

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message

So much easier. I'd acquire a suitable wireless dongle and be done with
it.

One of the cheapo ones might not do it.

The price seldom reflects the performance of these things.
A cheap one is probably no worse than an expensive one which uses the same
chipset.
There are tricks like mounting the USB dongle outside in a bit of capped
plastic drain pipe that make things much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message

So much easier. I'd acquire a suitable wireless dongle and be done
with it.

One of the cheapo ones might not do it.

The price seldom reflects the performance of these things.
A cheap one is probably no worse than an expensive one which uses the
same chipset.
There are tricks like mounting the USB dongle outside in a bit of capped
plastic drain pipe that make things much better.

Go on, I'll bite. Just how does that work?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2010 06:58, the_constructor wrote:

Just as a matter of interest, anyone seen this?

http://www.commodoreusa.citymax.com/index.html

Interesting. Looks just the job for my caravan. No prices though :-(

Another Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

The price seldom reflects the performance of these things.
A cheap one is probably no worse than an expensive one which uses the
same chipset.
There are tricks like mounting the USB dongle outside in a bit of
capped plastic drain pipe that make things much better.

Go on, I'll bite. Just how does that work?

Dunno. I heard you have to use a Pringles tube. Which is foil lined,
has a metal cap at one end, and a plastic one at the other!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:53:57 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message

So much easier. I'd acquire a suitable wireless dongle and be done with
it.

One of the cheapo ones might not do it.

The price seldom reflects the performance of these things.
A cheap one is probably no worse than an expensive one which uses the
same chipset.
There are tricks like mounting the USB dongle outside in a bit of capped
plastic drain pipe that make things much better.

Go on, I'll bite. Just how does that work?

It just keeps it dry.
You could use a plastic bag but its not very durable.
Putting it outside just reduces stuff in the way.

Dave