Old March 13th 10, 02:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lattice fence above brick wall

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old March 13th 10, 04:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

What do you mean by "damage"? If you are excluding using wall plugs to fix
uprights on one side, I suppose you could fabricate a structure that
supports a vertical batten on each side that then holds the fence upright

BFFFB
BWWB
BWWB
BWWB
BWWB
WW

Old March 13th 10, 04:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Old March 13th 10, 04:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old March 13th 10, 04:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

What do you mean by "damage"? If you are excluding using wall plugs to fix
uprights on one side, I suppose you could fabricate a structure that
supports a vertical batten on each side that then holds the fence upright

I meant something like drilling vertically through the wall
to install an upright in the middle of the wall -
I'd be worried that that might pull the wall down in a gale.

My thought had been to do exactly what you suggest,
attach wooden uprights to my side of the wall.

Old March 13th 10, 04:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

I'm afraid I didn't follow this.
What exactly is "resin fixing",
and what would I be fixing?

Old March 13th 10, 04:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Sorry, what are these?

Old March 13th 10, 05:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Sorry, what are these?

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101217/Fixings/Multi-Monti

Bizzo fixings. Drill through timber into brick, no plug, no expansion,
drive straight in with drill driver. Easier to pull a sailor off your
sister than pull one out.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old March 13th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

I'm afraid I didn't follow this.
What exactly is "resin fixing",
and what would I be fixing?

I think we are assuming you will be fixing timber uprights to your side of
the wall?

Read the reviews here for info
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31582/...l#BVRRWidgetID

Bit OTT for your job IMO. Steve was saying though, that normal plugs, which
expand, can cause bricks to crack, especially near edges.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old March 13th 10, 08:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Sorry, what are these?

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101217/Fixings/Multi-Monti

Bizzo fixings. Drill through timber into brick, no plug, no expansion,
drive straight in with drill driver. Easier to pull a sailor off your
sister than pull one out.

Thanks for both your explanations.
These look useful; I'd never heard of them.