Old March 13th 10, 02:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lattice fence above brick wall

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old March 13th 10, 04:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" > wrote in message
> I want to install a wooden lattice fence
> on top of a brick wall.
> The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
> What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

What do you mean by "damage"? If you are excluding using wall plugs to fix
uprights on one side, I suppose you could fabricate a structure that
supports a vertical batten on each side that then holds the fence upright

BFFFB
BWWB
BWWB
BWWB
BWWB
WW

Old March 13th 10, 04:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I want to install a wooden lattice fence
> on top of a brick wall.
> The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
> What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Old March 13th 10, 04:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I want to install a wooden lattice fence
>> on top of a brick wall.
>> The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
>> What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

> Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old March 13th 10, 04:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

>> I want to install a wooden lattice fence
>> on top of a brick wall.
>> The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
>> What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

> What do you mean by "damage"? If you are excluding using wall plugs to fix
> uprights on one side, I suppose you could fabricate a structure that
> supports a vertical batten on each side that then holds the fence upright

I meant something like drilling vertically through the wall
to install an upright in the middle of the wall -
I'd be worried that that might pull the wall down in a gale.

My thought had been to do exactly what you suggest,
attach wooden uprights to my side of the wall.

Old March 13th 10, 04:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I want to install a wooden lattice fence
>> on top of a brick wall.
>> The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
>> What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

> Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

I'm afraid I didn't follow this.
What exactly is "resin fixing",
and what would I be fixing?

Old March 13th 10, 04:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

>>> I want to install a wooden lattice fence
>>> on top of a brick wall.
>>> The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
>>> What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

>> Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

> Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Sorry, what are these?

Old March 13th 10, 05:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

>> Or Multi Monties/Montys.

> Sorry, what are these?

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101217/Fixings/Multi-Monti

Bizzo fixings. Drill through timber into brick, no plug, no expansion,
drive straight in with drill driver. Easier to pull a sailor off your
sister than pull one out.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old March 13th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Steve Walker wrote:
>
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> I want to install a wooden lattice fence
>>> on top of a brick wall.
>>> The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
>>> What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

>> Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

> I'm afraid I didn't follow this.
> What exactly is "resin fixing",
> and what would I be fixing?

I think we are assuming you will be fixing timber uprights to your side of
the wall?

Read the reviews here for info
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31582/...l#BVRRWidgetID

Bit OTT for your job IMO. Steve was saying though, that normal plugs, which
expand, can cause bricks to crack, especially near edges.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old March 13th 10, 08:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

>>> Or Multi Monties/Montys.

>> Sorry, what are these?

> http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101217/Fixings/Multi-Monti
>
> Bizzo fixings. Drill through timber into brick, no plug, no expansion,
> drive straight in with drill driver. Easier to pull a sailor off your
> sister than pull one out.

Thanks for both your explanations.
These look useful; I'd never heard of them.