Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sound transmission, particularly through glass

The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

One thing I have noticed particularly this year is that a new cock has
a particularly high frequency shreek - this seems to penetrate further
than previous ones - curiously worse through a dg panel rather than a
a single glazed sash window. Is this awareness related to ear
sensitivity at the higher frequency (1kHz?), or greater mechanical
transmission due to the frequency ?

Thanks for any comments
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

As indeed it is.

One thing I have noticed particularly this year is that a new cock has
a particularly high frequency shreek - this seems to penetrate further
than previous ones - curiously worse through a dg panel rather than a
a single glazed sash window. Is this awareness related to ear
sensitivity at the higher frequency (1kHz?), or greater mechanical
transmission due to the frequency ?

You are bothered by cockrow through a DG panel?

Blimey.

Here its normality for me to wake up at 4 a.m. every early summer day as
the deafening dawn chorus comes in through the open windows.

it lasts half an hour, then I go back to sleep.

Until the first car of the day wakes me up around 7:30 a.m. again.

Thanks for any comments
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

One thing I have noticed particularly this year is that a new cock has
a particularly high frequency shreek - this seems to penetrate further
than previous ones - curiously worse through a dg panel rather than a
a single glazed sash window. Is this awareness related to ear
sensitivity at the higher frequency (1kHz?), or greater mechanical
transmission due to the frequency ?

Thanks for any comments
Rob

Double glazing is optimized for heat, not sound insulation - although it
may well be better than single glazing. But this is more down to the added
mass of the second sheet of glass, rather than the gap.
Secondary glazing, spaced as far as practicable from the main window and
well sealed, would give the best results. Using as thick glass as you can.

Assuming a standard 9" masonry wall, a sealed plate glass double window
with one pane on the outside of the wall, one on the inside, would give
results not far short of the wall itself.

But none of this will help much in practice...

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
,
robgraham wrote:
[...]

We once lived next to a busy street. Secondary double glazing attenuated
vehicle noise to a sort of *hiss*.

The drawing office where I spent a few months as an apprentice was close
to the Midland mainline railway. Secondary glazing was said to be spaced
at 7" to optimise sound reduction.

Mind you, my ears have reached the stage where, when my wife asks
*what's that bird? I say, what bird?.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
robgraham wrote:
[...]

Not in summer when you need ventilation.

Just get used to it.

And be thankful its not bloody peacocks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
robgraham writes
The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

Oh. Rural!

Us farmers have what are called *deemed consent* rights for most changes
which would normally involve planning.

However, any change which involves *intensive animal housing* and is
within 400m of a dwelling requires a full planning application.

Now how intensive are those chickens:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 08:51, robgraham wrote:
The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. *The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. *Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

One thing I have noticed particularly this year is that a new cock has
a particularly high frequency shreek - this seems to penetrate further
than previous ones - curiously worse through a dg panel rather than a
a single glazed sash window. *Is this awareness related to ear
sensitivity at the higher frequency (1kHz?), or greater mechanical
transmission due to the frequency ?

Thanks for any comments
Rob

Just wait until they buy a bird scarer and the timing goes wrong so it
bangs away all night, then you will find out what nuisance really is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 11:08, cynic wrote:
[...]

oh oh...sounds like you're speaking from experience?

McK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham writes
The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

One thing I have noticed particularly this year is that a new cock has
a particularly high frequency shreek - this seems to penetrate further
than previous ones - curiously worse through a dg panel rather than a
a single glazed sash window. Is this awareness related to ear
sensitivity at the higher frequency (1kHz?), or greater mechanical
transmission due to the frequency ?

Pilkingtons do laminated glass that has a thicker polymer layer which
they market as a noise reduction aid but good luck finding any solid
data on it, they appear to have wiped their websites clear of useful
information. A while back I tracked down some detailed figures from one
of their noise reduction studies, on pilkingtons.za I think, it showed
that DG units of standard gaps with dissimilar glass types were good and
ones with one pane laminated and one pane toughened glass were
particularly effective. I think the dissimilar glasses broke up the
resonances between the panes.

Needless to say the frames need to be air tight with trickle vents
foamed closed.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

McKevvy wrote:
On 12 Mar, 11:08, cynic wrote:
[...]

Could be advice though ;-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

One thing I have noticed particularly this year is that a new cock has
a particularly high frequency shreek - this seems to penetrate further
than previous ones - curiously worse through a dg panel rather than a
a single glazed sash window. Is this awareness related to ear
sensitivity at the higher frequency (1kHz?), or greater mechanical
transmission due to the frequency ?

Thanks for any comments

Fit secondary glazing with a 100 mm gap. Much better at stopping sound.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Mind you, my ears have reached the stage where, when my wife asks
*what's that bird? I say, what bird?.

Eh? What?

If it's not Lily Allen it's that Florence and the Machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
robgraham writes
The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

Oh. Rural!

Us farmers have what are called *deemed consent* rights for most changes
which would normally involve planning.

However, any change which involves *intensive animal housing* and is
within 400m of a dwelling requires a full planning application.

Now how intensive are those chickens:-)

regards

Sounds like just one sturdy cock in the morning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 2:51*am, robgraham wrote:
The legal side of this problem is with the local authority on the
grounds of Statutory Nuisance. *The problem is that the recent owners
of our neighbouring property have moved out of town with the
philosophy they can live the country life style regardless of who is
around them. *Because we live in a rural situation 4 cocks crowing 25m
away at dawn is regarded by them as the norm we should expect.

One thing I have noticed particularly this year is that a new cock has
a particularly high frequency shreek - this seems to penetrate further
than previous ones - curiously worse through a dg panel rather than a
a single glazed sash window. *Is this awareness related to ear
sensitivity at the higher frequency (1kHz?), or greater mechanical
transmission due to the frequency ?

Thanks for any comments
Rob

Go buy his noisy chickens, pay, eat alot of chicken, then sleep. You
will be his best customer from now on and love cooking his chickens.
Dont forget to tell him Pigeon and Quail is better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Us farmers have what are called *deemed consent* rights for most changes
which would normally involve planning.

Deemed consent - sounds as good as papal dispensations once were.

Councils could raffle a few of those off, and make enough money to fix
all the potholes.