Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recoovery from failed firmware update

Many electronic devices these days need firmware updates.

In general if a firmware update fails and you end up with a brick can the
situation normally be recovered by the manufacturer (or agent) applying a
direct connection to the motherboard (or by any other means)?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:40:31 -0000, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

Many electronic devices these days need firmware updates.

In general if a firmware update fails and you end up with a brick can the
situation normally be recovered by the manufacturer (or agent) applying a
direct connection to the motherboard (or by any other means)?

What device are you talking about?
Various approaches are available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Mar, 18:40, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
Many electronic devices these days need firmware updates.

In general if a firmware update fails and you end up with a brick can the
situation normally be recovered by the manufacturer (or agent) applying a
direct connection to the motherboard (or by any other means)?

--
Michael Chare

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends if the boot loader is corrupted,
or if the board has an accessible JTAG port and the whoever has the
gear to reflash through the JTAG port, or if the flash devices are
socketed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Michael
Chare scribeth thus
Many electronic devices these days need firmware updates.

In general if a firmware update fails and you end up with a brick can the
situation normally be recovered by the manufacturer (or agent) applying a
direct connection to the motherboard (or by any other means)?

Yes sometimes. What is it you've had go wrong?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...
Many electronic devices these days need firmware updates.

In general if a firmware update fails and you end up with a brick can the
situation normally be recovered by the manufacturer (or agent) applying a
direct connection to the motherboard (or by any other means)?

Usually they will be designed to do this (because ****ing this up in
development is a common failure).

Whether it can be done without destroying the packaging, is another matter

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Michael
Chare scribeth thus
Many electronic devices these days need firmware updates.

In general if a firmware update fails and you end up with a brick can the
situation normally be recovered by the manufacturer (or agent) applying a
direct connection to the motherboard (or by any other means)?

Yes sometimes. What is it you've had go wrong?..

Fortunately nothing yet. Sadly, I don't have the firmware for the
particular device that I would like to update. I was just wondering how
easily the manufacturer would be able to correct the problem should an
update fail.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/10 23:42, Michael Chare wrote:

Yes sometimes. What is it you've had go wrong?..

Fortunately nothing yet. Sadly, I don't have the firmware for the
particular device that I would like to update. I was just wondering how
easily the manufacturer would be able to correct the problem should an
update fail.

There is usually some way of recovering the situation, but whether it is
economically viable is a different matter. The manufacturer may charge a
lot for the service. The only way to find that out is to contact the
manufacturer in advance.

--
Bernard Peek