Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telephone IDC punch down, max wires to a terminal?

Doing a bit of telephone wiring, standard BT supply telephone bits and
Cat5e solid core wire.

What's the max number of wires that can reliably be held to a single
terminal? I'm using a proper krone metal punchdown tool to do this, not
the plastic thing formed out of recycled tea stirrers.

Anyone know what the BT guidance is?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

What's the max number of wires that can reliably be held to a single
terminal? I'm using a proper krone metal punchdown tool to do this, not
the plastic thing formed out of recycled tea stirrers.

Generally two wires, and cat3 is smaller gauge than cat5, so if you have
to mix them but the cat3 in first, BT tend to use 2 or 2 way jelly
crimps for multiple wire joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:05:04 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

What's the max number of wires that can reliably be held to a single
terminal? I'm using a proper krone metal punchdown tool to do this, not
the plastic thing formed out of recycled tea stirrers.

Ideally two, usually three if using Cat5. Four is usually too much.
It is fairly easy to test, push the wires in and using the IDC tool
hook try to pull them straight up and out. The force needed should be
the same for each wire as you add them. If one is markedly easier it
is one too many.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ideally two, usually three if using Cat5. Four is usually too much.
It is fairly easy to test, push the wires in and using the IDC tool
hook try to pull them straight up and out. The force needed should be
the same for each wire as you add them. If one is markedly easier it
is one too many.

Thanks all. I've made three to a terminal in a joint box, and it's
looking stable enough.

Was wondering about making it a bit more permanent but I'll put the
oxy-acetylene blow torch and brazing wire back in my tool kit and use
that for something else. ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian C
scribeth thus
Doing a bit of telephone wiring, standard BT supply telephone bits and
Cat5e solid core wire.

What's the max number of wires that can reliably be held to a single
terminal? I'm using a proper krone metal punchdown tool to do this, not
the plastic thing formed out of recycled tea stirrers.

Anyone know what the BT guidance is?

Dunno 'bout BT or openreach, but I don't reckon more then Two is
healthy;!..
--
Tony Sayer