Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ladder: double or triple?

Hi,

As you may know from my recent posts, I have flat roof troubles. I
need a ladder to get up there. It's about 2.5 metres high and I
understand that if you are climbing off a ladder onto a roof, you
should have an extra metre sticking up beyond the roof, so I would
need a 3.5 metre ladder, roughly speaking. (I realise that once the
ladder is at the correct angle, this would reduce the height
slightly).

I have looked on the ladders999 web site, which has been recommended
here before. They suggest you buy a triple ladder as their smaller
length makes them easier to store and carry, but I thought I had read
elsewhere that double ladders were better. I think the counter
argument was that because the sections fit inside one another, the
third section is narrower. Is this an issue in practice?

Do you recommend a double or a triple ladder?

You may be wondering why I am asking when a single ladder would get me
3.4 metres high. Well, I could not see any single ladders on Screwfix
or ladders999 and I thought I would be lazy and let them deliver to
me, rather than drive to a store!

I am not intending going any higher than 2.5 m but I figure if I do
have a ladder that extends to 6 m, it may be useful if a friend ever
volunteers to clean my gutters for me. I'm not sure I would have a
head for gutter-height myself. I've plucked 6 m out of the air. What
is a good size for a general purpose about-the-home ladder? Would that
be about right?

Finally for occasional DIY use are these Lyte trade ladders ok? Is
there any benefit to spending more on the industrial class ones? For
the cost, I think I may as well go for the trade rather than DIY
ladder? I think that I read somewhere the DIY ladders were not as
rigid and obviously have a lower weight capacity?

Thanks in advance.