Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central heating question - when should pump run

All,

Having got my oil fired rayburn back in good shape I turned my
attention to why the radiators weren't getting hot yesterday.

During the summer I'd discovered a switch in the utility room which was
live and on, but which I had no idea what it did. I disconnected it.
It turns out that this switch was controlling the pump for the CH.

There is no CH/HW controller, as it's a pretty basic system, and no
electronic control of the heat source (the rayburn). However, I'm
confused with what I've got:

- A DP switch in the utility room, with the supply, the pump and, I
think, the thermostat.
- A pump on the CH feed.
- A cylinder stat (like http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40051) strapped,
not to the cylinder, but to the cylinder feed (which is branched off
the CH return).
- A SP switch in series with the thermostat.
- I think the thermostat was wired in series with the pump, although I
don't have notes of how everything was connected up when I disconnected
it earlier in the year. (Lesson learnt.)
- No diverter valve.

Now, I'm confused. This suggests that the CH pump should only operate
when the feed to the HW is below whatever the set temperature is. Why
would this be? It seems like this might be so that if the HW is cold
then the hot water is fed around the CH and then to the HW, but I've
got two problems with this:
- the thermostat was set to 70 degrees and without the pump running
the thermostat temp was above this, suggesting the pump isn't needed
for the HW
- why would I _not_ want the CH circulating in this kind of system
(and if it isn't where's the heat going to go?).

Right now I've left the pump running 24x7. Are there likely to be any
problems with this?

Thanks,
Piers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Piers Finlayson
wrote:
[...]

I'm struggling to get a mental picture of your system from your description.
Any chance that you can draw a schematic diagram of the pipe layout, showing
the boiler, cylinder coil, radiators - with the associated feed and return
pipes, and the pump position. You'd have to upload it somewhere, and post a
link here. Failing that, some photos might help.

It's possible that you have a gravity HW and pumped CH system, but I can't
work that out from your description. It's also possible that the pipe stat
runs the pump when the water temperature is *above* the set point rather
than below it - either to dissipate excess heat, or to run the CH system
*only* when the water is hot enough - I don't know!

Running the pump continuously is no problem - other than the electricity
which it consumes.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

and a shorter pump life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm struggling to get a mental picture of your system from your
description. Any chance that you can draw a schematic diagram of the
pipe layout, showing the boiler, cylinder coil, radiators - with the
associated feed and return pipes, and the pump position. You'd have to
upload it somewhere, and post a link here. Failing that, some photos
might hel

Here's one I drew yesterday once I'd figured it out myself!

http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/x...ting_schem.jpg

It's possible that you have a gravity HW and pumped CH system, but I
can't work that out from your description. It's also possible that the
pipe stat runs the pump when the water temperature is *above* the set
point rather than below it - either to dissipate excess heat, or to run
the CH system *only* when the water is hot enough - I don't know!

Running the pump continuously is no problem - other than the
electricity which it consumes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message

[...]

Nice piccy.

I have to agree with Roger. The stat is there to start the pump when the
return from the HW clyinder reaches 70deg and dump the excess heat into the
radiators.

The stat should be wired as "make on temp rise" and should not have any
isolation switch (other than the main one for the Rayburn). The single pole
switch you mentioned should be in parrallel with the stat to allow you to
manually control the pump.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Here's one I drew yesterday once I'd figured it out myself!

http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/x...ting_schem.jpg

Right, well that certainly helps - but I'm still not *entirely* sure how
it's supposed to work.

It's pretty clear that the 28mm HW circuit is gravity (thermo-syphon) and is
independent of the pump. The central heating is pumped but - in the absense
of any valves - it's not clear as to what happens to the HW circuit when the
pump is running. It there a flow direction arrow on the pump? If so, which
way is it pumping?

In your position, I think I'd convert it to fully pumped - it shouldn't be
too difficult.

You said earlier that there were no electronic controls on the boiler. I
assume that it *is* possible to turn it on and off electrically?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Here's one I drew yesterday once I'd figured it out myself!

http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/x...ting_schem.jpg

Right, well that certainly helps - but I'm still not *entirely* sure
how it's supposed to work.

It's pretty clear that the 28mm HW circuit is gravity (thermo-syphon)
and is independent of the pump. The central heating is pumped but - in
the absense of any valves - it's not clear as to what happens to the HW
circuit when the pump is running. It there a flow direction arrow on
the pump? If so, which way is it pumping?

Ah, I hand't noticed the arrow - it points from left to right at you
look at it in the picture. I had sort of assumed it was pumping in the
other direction.

When I can turn off the power I'll have a another look at the
thermostat and see when it's on and when it's off.

In your position, I think I'd convert it to fully pumped - it shouldn't
be too difficult.

Does that involve
- moving the pump to the 28mm supply
- introducing a diverter valve?

I'm not keen on doing too much to improve it now. It's all a bit old
and hokey but right now it only heats and supplies HW to the "old" half
of the house, in which I work, but no-one else actually lives. The
"new" half has its own independent fully pumped electronically
controlled system. At some point in the future I plan to merge the two
CH systems together, possibly moving to wood as a fuel. (And possibly
merging in the third CH system which heats attached holiday lets!) But
that's too big a job for the moment!

You said earlier that there were no electronic controls on the boiler.
I assume that it *is* possible to turn it on and off electrically?

Nope. It's an old solid fuel rayburn with back boiler, converted to
run off oil - so it's manually controllable only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-15 13:00:16 +0000, ARWadsworth said:

[...]

Makes sense (but the SP switch definitely wasn't wired this way before).

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-15 13:00:16 +0000, ARWadsworth said:

[...]

I think I'm talking nonense. I think it probably _was wired_ up this
way before. I need to put the SP SW and Thermostat in parallel, and
the combination in series with the pump. I'll do this once I've
confirmed which way the stat is currently operating.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb, 09:02, Piers Finlayson wrote:
[...]

The Rayburn needs to be protected against boiling therefore the pump
will cut in when the temperature gets high and dump the excess heat to
the radiators, not frequent but a nuisance on a hot day. There is also
a consideration of preventing back end corrosion within the boiler so
it should stop the pump if the temperature gets too low. Normally thus
is achieved by using two thermostats or a dual temperature stat.
You may have a bodge where someone tried to use the hysteresis of the
stat to do both jobs

Central Heating Pump John UK diy 5 November 23rd 05 10:38 AM
air in central heating pump tom patton UK diy 12 August 23rd 05 10:50 AM
Several things wrong with new flat - no central heating, low hot water pressure even with water pump, noisey pump kiich UK diy 69 July 13th 05 07:36 PM
Central Heating pump K. Sloan UK diy 3 December 22nd 04 10:37 PM
Central Heating Pump john UK diy 3 July 4th 03 08:57 PM