Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building a staircase

I'm planning on building a new staircase in my house - has anyone done
this, and am I mad? It will be , a straight run with three winders at
the bottom. It will be open to a room on one side. All in pine or
similar (no ply or mdf). I'm a (very) amateur carpenter, but not
really a joiner.

Originally I was planning to get one built, then I mentioned the idea
of building it myself, to a friend, who was highly dismissive and
suggested I should stick to making things "within my skills base" -
whatever he considers that to be.

Obviously this was as a red rag to a bull, so I'm now ordering books
to make sure I'm up to speed with aspects of design and construction
that I might not be au fait with, and decide whether it's within my
capability.

Does anyone have any hints, or pointers to the likely pitfalls? I know
I should get one made, or buy a kit, so observations to that effect
will be ignored ;-) And yes, I do know the BR for stairs.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 9:17 pm, geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

don't suppose you fancy buying my (admittedly) US staircase
construction book? :)

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 09:17, JimK wrote:
[...]

JimK- Hide quoted text -

If you mean this one:

http://tinyurl.com/y9gz78m

then a copy is already on its way to me ;-)

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The simplest type of stair to make is these:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...n_riser_stairs
All you need is a saw and a plane.
Take care over accuracy of spacing and level, even a small error can
cause a problem for end users.
Mad? Not for making your own stairs anyway

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 10:13 am, geraldthehamster wrote:
On 1 Feb, 09:17, JimK wrote:

[...]

bugger - why didn;t you post earlier? :) we could have had a pint or
two each out of it...

Cheers
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 12:02, NT wrote:

Mad? Not for making your own stairs anyway

Thanks ;-

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 09:17, JimK wrote:

[...]

And did you use the book?

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 09:17, JimK wrote:

[...]

well i read it yes!

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 09:17, JimK wrote:

[...]

Is there anything in there about the design and construction of
winders? That's triangular and kite-shaped steps that attach to a
newel, as opposed to fenestration in the East End.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 00:00, John Rumm wrote:

There are several variations on layout it seems. Some do the risers so
the are similar to traditional strings, but have the treads cut into the
strings and made a little wider so they overlap the string. Other
designs move the strings in closer together and have equal length risers
and treads planted on the faces cut into the strings. The riser to tread
joint remains the same.

I think my risers wouldn't overlap the string. I've seen diagrams
where the ends of the risers and the upright part of the cut in the
string are mitred to meet each other, which looks like a nightmare to
do accurately. hence my thought to overlap the risers on the string,
with the ends flush with the outside of the string, then cover with a
vertical moulding to hide the join. This would probably look better if
the treads, which would protrude slightly beyond the string, were cut
to have flaps protruding backwards slightly. I know what I mean, but
clearly I lack the terminology ;-)

Depends on if you need to gain height quickly or slowly. When I did
mine, I needed to get enough clearance over the first flight of steps -
so the three winders plus starting step was handy tp gain height fast.

I see that. I need to gain height slowly, because I can't open a full-
height stair well right to the bottom of the going.

I'm sure there are as many ways to build a staircase, as to skin an
egg. A second string to my bow is to look out for pulled-out
staircases that could be re-used ... I've seen a couple on eBay but
nothing the right size. My friend across the road built hsi won house
around the outside of a nondescript 19th century cottage, and made
himself quite a grand stair case by re-locating the stairs from a
1970s addition which he demolished, and adding three wide winders at
the bottom.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 10:28, geraldthehamster wrote:

Depends on if you need to gain height quickly or slowly. When I did
mine, I needed to get enough clearance over the first flight of steps -
so the three winders plus starting step was handy tp gain height fast.

I see that. I need to gain height slowly, because I can't open a full-
height stair well right to the bottom of the going.

Thanks John - after I typed that, something went "clunk" in my brain,
and I realised that I need to start with a landing, not winders.
Subject to sufficient overall going. That's going to make it *so* much
more straightforward.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 10:08 pm, geraldthehamster wrote:

That's triangular and kite-shaped steps that attach to a
newel, as opposed to fenestration in the East End.

"winders" is still a word (for windows) in use in Menorca from the
British Colonials building their Georgian houses in/around Mahon !

Sorry don't recall details in book - by the time I found the book I
expect yours will have arrived!

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone know where I can find a free stair calculator (for tread,
riser and stringer sizes for given rise and going), that works in
metric? I've found this:

http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/stairs.htm

but it assumes inches, and the cells are password-protected.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geraldthehamster
saying something like:

[...]

Here's a simple set of stairs I built ten years ago and still going
strong. I got the timber from a local sawmill and had a carpentry shop
finish it, but I did the cutting and installation myself. I didn't
bother with recessing the treads, just screwed and glued blocks for them
to sit on.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4d8d495c9a.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/33d0977d8c.jpg