Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Demolishing an Air Raid Shelter

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:47:34 +0000, Jason
wrote:

John wrote:

Picture (set) here

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3994.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3993.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3992.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3991.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3990.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3989.jpg

As you can see there is a wooden shed attached to the shelter

That brickwork is gorgeous. You want to demolish it??

To me, that looks too new to be a wartime air raid shelter...

It seems to resemble the type of building used by mobile radio (not
cellphone) firms for their base stations around the 1970/80s.

:-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jo" wrote in message
o.uk...
We moved house in September and our new garden houses a Levenshulme air
raid shelter which has been used as a shed. However we have discovered
that it is damp, leaks and everything we have stored in it has got ruined.
We would like to be able to demolish it and replace it with a 'proper'
shed.
Has anyone had any experience of demolishing such a sturdy structure?

What is a Levenshulme air raid shelter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

John wrote:

Picture (set) here

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3994.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3993.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3992.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3991.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3990.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ewIMG_3989.jpg

As you can see there is a wooden shed attached to the shelter

That brickwork is gorgeous. You want to demolish it??

To me, that looks too new to be a wartime air raid shelter...

The external brickwork's certainly in very good condition compared to
other wartime "military" stuff that I've seen. *Very* thin roof, too -
about half what I would have expected. But then maybe the selling point of
most shelters was the reassurance they gave, not their actual performance
(plus I've heard that a lot of military stuff was far too weedy to
withstand much except for a quite far-off blast anyway; it was generally
all a little under-engineered for the purpose)

I have seen records of small surface structures like that which lead to
much more interesting subterranean things beneath - maybe the OP should be
hacking the floor up to see if there's a sealed-up staircase underneath

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've Just spent 16 hours of my weekend having a go at one of these. Good luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as far as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 walls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running through the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a concrete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that. Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 23:08:15 +0000, SteveW
wrote:

My grandparents had one. They kept it and used it as a shed.

In the 60s it was quite common to see them turned to other uses, but
some hardy souls had knocked theirs down. Rather, paid some other
hardy soul to do it. In later years I really wished for one as a dead
handy shed that could have been made utterly impregnable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 23:43:44 +0000, fred wrote:

You're replying to a post that is over 3 years old you twit, get a grip.

He only started weilding the sledgehammer when the post was fresh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:30:10 -0000, "Gazz" wrote:

Does anyone know of an alternative site or something about that bloke in
Jersey (or was it Guernsey) that found a nazi air raid shelter type thing in
his garden,
main site has most photo's not showing up, and the last entry in 2009 i
believe,

Nothing in google channel islands war tunnels?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:57:29 PM UTC, wrote:

I've Just spent 16 hours of my weekend having a go at one of these. Good luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as far as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 walls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running through the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a concrete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that. Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!

I gather the recommended tool is called a V2. I couldn't find one down the hardware mongers tho. Could always try ebay.

PS, do prepare the site properly, and keep a safe distance.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:57:29 PM UTC, wrote:

I've Just spent 16 hours of my weekend having a go at one of these.
Good luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only
got as far as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance.
That's 3 walls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with
steel bars running through the bricks all the way to the foundations.
Forget kangos. Get a concrete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a
sledge hammer. Failing that. Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at
least you will have won!

I gather the recommended tool is called a V2. I couldn't find one down
the hardware mongers tho. Could always try ebay.

better than ebay might be a military surplus store. there's a big one in
Nottingham called "Anchor" . There are probably others.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , charles
writes
In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:57:29 PM UTC, wrote:

I've Just spent 16 hours of my weekend having a go at one of these.
Good luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left.

snip
I gather the recommended tool is called a V2. I couldn't find one down
the hardware mongers tho. Could always try ebay.

better than ebay might be a military surplus store. there's a big one in
Nottingham called "Anchor" .

snip

-but can you endure endless George Formby records while you are browsing
their stock?
--
Chris Holford

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 23:40, alan wrote:
Blow it up.

isn't that exactly what they protect against
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2013 19:45, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 10/02/2013 23:40, alan wrote:
Blow it up.

isn't that exactly what they protect against

Obviously a very slow burning fuse...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 23:40, alan wrote:
Blow it up.

isn't that exactly what they protect against

They protect against being blown up from the outside - they will be far
less resistant to being blown up from the inside ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 23:40, alan wrote:
Blow it up.

isn't that exactly what they protect against

They protect against being blown up from the outside - they will be far
less resistant to being blown up from the inside ;-)

I reckon it's a job for 617 squadron, and Barnes Wallis's 'Tall Boy'

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 23:40, alan wrote:
Blow it up.
isn't that exactly what they protect against

They protect against being blown up from the outside - they will be
far less resistant to being blown up from the inside ;-)

I reckon it's a job for 617 squadron, and Barnes Wallis's 'Tall Boy'

AWEM

What's wrong with an SDB AKA bunker buster?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 23:40, alan wrote:
Blow it up.
isn't that exactly what they protect against

They protect against being blown up from the outside - they will be
far less resistant to being blown up from the inside ;-)

I reckon it's a job for 617 squadron, and Barnes Wallis's 'Tall Boy'

AWEM

What's wrong with an SDB AKA bunker buster?

Seems that only gets through about three feet of steel reinforced concrete.

--
Rod