Posted to uk.d-i-y
sam sam is offline

Default Eurocote Wallcoatings Ltd

Has anyone heard of this company?
I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Of course, it costs much more but as 25 years would probably see me
out, it may be worth it.

Any advise out there?

Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 03:11:40 -0800 (PST), sam
wrote:

Has anyone heard of this company?
I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Of course, it costs much more but as 25 years would probably see me
out, it may be worth it.

Any advise out there?

Sounds like a scam, Sam. If something sounds too good to be true, it
probably is.

Don't forget that even if the paint protection is going to last 25
years, it will look shabby and dirty long before then, and require
cleaning or overpainting.

Some company information he

http://tinyurl.com/y8sb4qj
or:
http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/1e...61/compdetails

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 25/01/2010 11:11, sam wrote:
Has anyone heard of this company?
I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Of course, it costs much more but as 25 years would probably see me
out, it may be worth it.

Any advise out there?

Sam

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=405563

Have a look at Johnstone's[1] who do some quality masonry paints.

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/products.aspx

[1] I work for a part of the same group is Johnstone's but this
suggestion is based on what I have seen on their site, not
recommendation or experience. Other companies surely also do high
performance exterior paints.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Has anyone heard of this company?
I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Of course, it costs much more but as 25 years would probably see me
out, it may be worth it.

Any advise out there?

Company web site he
http://www.eurocote.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sam" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of this company?
I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Of course, it costs much more but as 25 years would probably see me
out, it may be worth it.

Any advise out there?

Sam

Any company that claims that an outside coating is going to stop inside
condensation would not get any business from me.

Their website claim "If you can buy the same Eurocote process for less we
will refund the difference without question." but I don't think you can get
the Eurocote process from anyone else so that's a worthless promise.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jan, 11:11, sam wrote:

I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted

Q1 How good does it look?

Q2 How much does it cost?

Q3 Are the paint crew competent, neat and tidy?

Q4 How long does it last, and how much do you trust this claim?

Q5 Are your walls worth painting? Flaking render underneath will take
any paint with it regardless.

A guarantee may not be entirely worthless, but it should be the very
least of your reasons for choosing one or the other supplier. It is
after all a faith that when the product failed to live up to your
hopes, the financial basis of the company will be any better.

The ease of painting a house depends largely on how awkward gaining
access to it is, and what the existing substrate is like. Cherry
pickers are quite cheap (overall) and make the first a doddle. Smooth
brick is quick and easy to brush paint, pebbledashed renders need
spraying as a minimum. If a couple of chaps with brushes up a scaff
tower can do a good job, buy them some decent paint from Leyland or
Sandtex and you're sorted for next to nothing. If your surface is
inherently rough, then you're looking at spraying it, which involves
contractors rather than handymen and you've a grand on the bill before
you start.

Our house cost 11k to have a "coating" sprayed onto it. Not mere
paint, it's a "coating". As it's three stories and a surface as rough
as anything, that's not quite as bad as it seems, but even so... It
has (not surprisingly) done nothing to solve the damp problems. More
likely spending a couple more hours up there while the access was
still in place would have done rather more (suspect chimney valley
flashing).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hire / Buy (BOSS) scaffolding tower.
£65-80/week.

Hire labour or DIY.
Yours is cheap, theirs is not.

Fix any existing render.
If solid brick consider removing existing and insulate where
impractical inside.

Paint accordingly.
Sandtex, Akzo Nobel (Sikkens) following their instructions. Sikkens
generally do the best paint, bar none, but it can have *very* specific
requirements for example Rubbol AZ will tolerate pretty crap wood
whereas BZ etc will not (they do 11-12yr wood paint now, but you
really need Acacia wood rather than knackered pallet grade WWII
remnant wood).

You can mix glass beads in coatings for longer life and various other
tricks. For damp proofing, nothing beats fixing guttering and making
the cladding suffer the weather (essentially creating a cavity wall on
a solid wall).

You can use Marmox and similar waterproof insulation products
externally with polyurethane sealant on edges, suitably covered -
waterproof exterior.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Any advise out there?

IIRC there was an architect who used some sort of special (resin?) paint
on the TV show Grand Designs - dirt wouldn't stick to it, and they
showed samples of how it would run off with the slightest bit of rain.

Not sure what the hell it's called, but it certainly piqued my interest !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

phoenixbbs wrote:
I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Any advise out there?

IIRC there was an architect who used some sort of special (resin?) paint
on the TV show Grand Designs - dirt wouldn't stick to it, and they
showed samples of how it would run off with the slightest bit of rain.

Not sure what the hell it's called, but it certainly piqued my interest !

Sounds like pliolite. Most of the trade paint outlets do a version.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure what the hell it's called, but it certainly piqued my interest !
Sounds like pliolite. Most of the trade paint outlets do a version.

Ta for that, I kept forgetting to look it up :-)

(reminds me, i'll have to change my display name back to normal - had
to do a full system wipe and restore...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jan, 22:14, phoenixbbs wrote:
Not sure what the hell it's called, but it certainly piqued my interest !

Sounds like pliolite. Most of the trade paint outlets do a version.

Ta for that, I kept forgetting to look it up :-)

(reminds me, i'll have to change my display name back to normal - had
to do a full system wipe and restore...)

Hi,

That was not Pliolite on grand designs it was a product called ‘Sto’.
They have developed a micro technology that mimics the effect of a
Lotus leaf which repels water and dirt pickup. The down side to Sto is
that it is just masonry paint, if there is any movement or damp in the
wall Sto will fail. All the detail is on there website, google it you
will find it.

Pliolite is manufactured by Eliokem, available from many outlets.
(Used to be Goodyear – yes the tyre company!) Pliolite is a rubber
based paint which is solvent based. It will offer some resistance to
movement but it will only perform well if the wall it is applied to is
prepared well.

There are other Acrylic products that very good wall coating products
manufactured by a company called Liquid Plastics Ltd. The Monolastics
and Decadex products are second to none but again the wall has to be
prepped correctly and all the relevant primers or stabilisers used.

Overall there are hundreds of suppliers, dozens of manufactures and
masonry coating company s, each have there own strengths and
weaknesses but the old rule applies ‘You get what you pay for’.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

In the case of pliolite you certainly pay a lot :-) but IME it performs
better than any water based paint on sub-standard surfaces, due mainly I
think to its fast curing i.e. the substrate doesn't have time to suck
the solvents out
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 11:29, Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
[...]

the solvents out- Hide quoted text -

Having looked at the Eurocoat website i can see they are a ‘one suit
fits all’ wall coating company. They only offer one product that they
are licensed to sell and apply called Andura. Andura products can
perform well if the wall it is been applied to is suitable. Eurocoat
will not tell you if there are other better suited products for your
walls!

I have seen Andura product applied to old solid walls and stone built
walls with no damp course. They have not lasted a very long time at
all! A Lime wash or Mineral paint is more suited. Andura is sold as
breathable, which it is to a degree, the problem is it can not breathe
as much vapour a solid wall or stone building naturally would so the
coating becomes delaminated and blisters.

Its a mine field out there so watch your step!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Indeed. If your wall is sound enough for the coating to bond well, maybe
you don't need a coating at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 January 2010 11:11:40 UTC, sam wrote:
Has anyone heard of this company?
I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Of course, it costs much more but as 25 years would probably see me
out, it may be worth it.

Any advise out there?

Sam

I expect it's far too many years later to reply to this, but we had this done some 6-7 years ago and it has been nothing but a disaster. It's all cracking and although I reported it to them a year ago, they will not come and look at it. Glen Crossingham - the MD has a belligerent defensive attitude and will not accept any responsibility for it. He will not even come and inspect it. So FORGET your 25 year guarantee. It doesn't exist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 October 2016 17:24:53 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 25 January 2010 11:11:40 UTC, sam wrote:
Has anyone heard of this company?
I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys
say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10.
Of course, it costs much more but as 25 years would probably see me
out, it may be worth it.

Any advise out there?

Sam

I expect it's far too many years later to reply to this, but we had this done some 6-7 years ago and it has been nothing but a disaster. It's all cracking and although I reported it to them a year ago, they will not come and look at it. Glen Crossingham - the MD has a belligerent defensive attitude and will not accept any responsibility for it. He will not even come and inspect it. So FORGET your 25 year guarantee. It doesn't exist.

A small claims court might take a different view.

NT