DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/295281-seeking-split-ring-compression-fitting-spanner.html)

The Medway Handyman January 5th 10 12:04 AM

Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner

PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 14:01:57 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Only for a clot.
The wall strength of a cut ring spanner is ****.

Then it was a **** spanner to start with.

I'd agree with you: I've a ring spanner for 1/2" tail nuts that was
made by cutting out a 16mm piece (sorry - not with an AG), sawing
off the cut ring and welding it back on 90 deg. for getting under
sinks etc.

It's had a fair bit of force on it at times and is still in perfect
condition.

And what was the wall thickness and depth of this ring spanner to
start with? I suspect it was a fairly hefty old piece.

Third-world job: England, Bedford vanadium. Wall's about 2.5mm/1.5mm,
12-point. Obviously I use a lever through t'other end.

The modern version is the Armeg Jaw Dropper
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99190/...lumbing-Wrench

Absolutely 'kin wonderful.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

PeterC January 5th 10 09:27 AM

Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:46:20 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC
saying something like:

And what was the wall thickness and depth of this ring spanner to start
with? I suspect it was a fairly hefty old piece.

Third-world job: England, Bedford vanadium. Wall's about 2.5mm/1.5mm,
12-point. Obviously I use a lever through t'other end.

Bugger. The exception that etc.
I admit that Bedford vanadium spanners were tough old things, but I'd
like to see that used day-in, day-out on taps and see how long it takes
before the jaws spread.

Yes - I've used about a dozen times in about 18 years, so not exactly
'trade'. Mind, it's been swung on a bit once or twice. I now have to resist
the temptation to test it!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

PeterC January 5th 10 09:27 AM

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 00:04:25 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

PeterC wrote:
[...]

They look beautiful! If only I could justify buying some...
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Appin January 8th 10 12:09 AM

Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner

The message
from Tim W contains these words:

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Sunday 03 January 2010 16:50

BTW, could you let me know what the spanner is like when it arrives?

I have that spanner. It's bloody good when it fits. It seems to fit
"ordinary" compression joints (whatever that means) but not some types or
Peglar valve.

I would say it's worth having because it's very nice when you can use it.

I've had one for some time. I agree it's good when it fits. Very
nicely finished and pleasant to handle.

Jethro January 8th 10 10:41 AM

Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner

On 2 Jan, 17:10, "Vortex5" wrote:
I need a spanner like this:

http://tinyurl.com/y9wa57q

Problem is I would like it this weekend!

Can anybody tell me if any of the "sheds" sell them, please?

Try an automotive tool shop ... that looks just like the spanner used
for loosening the flange nuts on hydraulic brake lines. It's got 6
flat faces instead of the usual serrated appearance so it doesn't
round the nut.