Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice sought on ways to stop a chisel jamming in wood when using a machine morticer

Advice sought on ways to stop a chisel jamming in wood when using a
machine morticer

I am morticing a fair few holes in treated pine (to make farm gates)
The wood is probably still a bit damp from the treatment.

However whilst doing the 1st cut (into wood that is all around the
chisel), the chisel always jams solid in the wood. It does not matter
how deep I cut and withdraw. It still jams, and I have to knock the
wood off the chisel.

I cannot use the machines clamp, as the wood is too thick.

It mortices OK with the next cuts that are adjacent.

Has anyone any constructive tips that could help, or do I just have to
grin and bear it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gray wrote:
Advice sought on ways to stop a chisel jamming in wood when using a
machine morticer

I am morticing a fair few holes in treated pine (to make farm gates)
The wood is probably still a bit damp from the treatment.

However whilst doing the 1st cut (into wood that is all around the
chisel), the chisel always jams solid in the wood. It does not matter
how deep I cut and withdraw. It still jams, and I have to knock the
wood off the chisel.

I cannot use the machines clamp, as the wood is too thick.

It mortices OK with the next cuts that are adjacent.

Has anyone any constructive tips that could help, or do I just have to
grin and bear it.

Technically the work you are doing is too big for the machine but that
is what happens in DIY all the time. Improvise some larger capacity
holddown clamp for the workpiece.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Technically the work you are doing is too big for the machine but that
is what happens in DIY all the time. Improvise some larger capacity
holddown clamp for the workpiece.

Out comes my heavy duty G clamps then. A bit time consuming, but if
thats what it takes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gray wrote:
Advice sought on ways to stop a chisel jamming in wood when using a
machine morticer

I am morticing a fair few holes in treated pine (to make farm gates)
The wood is probably still a bit damp from the treatment.

However whilst doing the 1st cut (into wood that is all around the
chisel), the chisel always jams solid in the wood. It does not matter
how deep I cut and withdraw. It still jams, and I have to knock the
wood off the chisel.

I cannot use the machines clamp, as the wood is too thick.

It mortices OK with the next cuts that are adjacent.

Has anyone any constructive tips that could help, or do I just have to
grin and bear it.

Gray,

Out of interest, do you have the auger 'sticking' slightly out of the end of
'chisel' to take most the waste away before the chisel 'slices' the sides?

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:28:14 +0000, gray wrote:

However whilst doing the 1st cut (into wood that is all around the
chisel), the chisel always jams solid in the wood. It does not matter
how deep I cut and withdraw. It still jams, and I have to knock the
wood off the chisel.

Tried rubbing some candle wax into the outside of the of the chisel?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:28:14 +0000, gray wrote:

However whilst doing the 1st cut (into wood that is all around the
chisel), the chisel always jams solid in the wood. It does not matter
how deep I cut and withdraw. It still jams, and I have to knock the
wood off the chisel.

Tried rubbing some candle wax into the outside of the of the chisel?

PTFE spray?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...rch=ptfe+spray

Works a treat on saw blades.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 00:35:00 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:28:14 +0000, gray wrote:

However whilst doing the 1st cut (into wood that is all around the
chisel), the chisel always jams solid in the wood. It does not matter
how deep I cut and withdraw. It still jams, and I have to knock the
wood off the chisel.

Tried rubbing some candle wax into the outside of the of the chisel?

PTFE spray?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...rch=ptfe+spray

Works a treat on saw blades.

I'd have thought _you_ would recommend WD-40... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gray formulated on Friday :
Advice sought on ways to stop a chisel jamming in wood when using a
machine morticer

I am morticing a fair few holes in treated pine (to make farm gates)
The wood is probably still a bit damp from the treatment.

However whilst doing the 1st cut (into wood that is all around the
chisel), the chisel always jams solid in the wood. It does not matter
how deep I cut and withdraw. It still jams, and I have to knock the
wood off the chisel.

I cannot use the machines clamp, as the wood is too thick.

It mortices OK with the next cuts that are adjacent.

Has anyone any constructive tips that could help, or do I just have to
grin and bear it.

To help prevent a saw sticking in moist wood, you rub a candle down the
sides of the saw. Might the same thing help with your chisel?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
gray formulated on Friday :
Advice sought on ways to stop a chisel jamming in wood when using a
machine morticer

I am morticing a fair few holes in treated pine (to make farm gates)
The wood is probably still a bit damp from the treatment.

However whilst doing the 1st cut (into wood that is all around the
chisel), the chisel always jams solid in the wood. It does not matter
how deep I cut and withdraw. It still jams, and I have to knock the
wood off the chisel.

I cannot use the machines clamp, as the wood is too thick.

It mortices OK with the next cuts that are adjacent.

Has anyone any constructive tips that could help, or do I just have to
grin and bear it.

To help prevent a saw sticking in moist wood, you rub a candle down the
sides of the saw. Might the same thing help with your chisel?

The wax will come off and stop the subsequent glue from sticking properly.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:28:14 +0000, gray wrote:

It mortices OK with the next cuts that are adjacent.

Can you drill a smaller hole with i.e. a spade bit to provide some clearance,
and see if that helps?

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jan, 21:28, gray wrote:
Advice sought on ways to stop a chisel jamming in wood when using a
machine morticer

Good chisels (these are sadly impossible to find in the popular small
machine fittings)

Sharp augers (work on them with a diamond stone)

Most of all, accurate depth adjustment of chisel relative to auger.
Use the "nickel trick".

Remove chisel and auger. Take a 5p piece. Place it under the shoulder
of the chisel and fit the chisel to the machine, such that it's a
little proud (downwards) of usual. Fit the auger, pushing it lightly
into place against the chisel before tightening. Slacken the chisel,
remove the 5p and push the chisel fully home before re-tightening.

You now have 5p thickness worth of clearance between chisel and auger,
which is about right. Maybe increase it in green timber.