Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hairline crakc in newly plastered ceiling

Hi,

Just been looking up at the ceiling in the kitchen and the mist coat is
showing a long straight-ish hairline crack. Probably on the join of two PB
panels.

That's to be expected I suppose - it's been cold and I expect something has
shrunk.

Anyway - I usually use Dulux Rich Matt for ceilings. Is it worth using
something else for this - something with some forgiveness of slight cracks?

Otherwise my default action will be to paint neat PVA along the crack and
proceed as normal...

Ta

Tim
--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone? :-O

They could be all queuing for their Euro Lottery tickets ... it's a
£90,000,000 roll over this week ....

Ash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Tim W
wibbled on Friday 06 November 2009 00:24

Hi,

Just been looking up at the ceiling in the kitchen and the mist coat is
showing a long straight-ish hairline crack. Probably on the join of two PB
panels.

That's to be expected I suppose - it's been cold and I expect something
has shrunk.

Anyway - I usually use Dulux Rich Matt for ceilings. Is it worth using
something else for this - something with some forgiveness of slight
cracks?

Otherwise my default action will be to paint neat PVA along the crack and
proceed as normal...

Ta

Tim

Anyone? :-O

If the joint hasn't been scrimmed it will always crack.

moisture in woodwork will cause enough movement for that.

Use decorator's caulk, a sort of very thick PVA/emulsion paint type
material to fill, and hope, but don't expect, that it will last.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Tim W
wibbled on Friday 06 November 2009 00:24

Hi,

Just been looking up at the ceiling in the kitchen and the mist coat is
showing a long straight-ish hairline crack. Probably on the join of two PB
panels.

That's to be expected I suppose - it's been cold and I expect something
has shrunk.

Anyway - I usually use Dulux Rich Matt for ceilings. Is it worth using
something else for this - something with some forgiveness of slight
cracks?

Otherwise my default action will be to paint neat PVA along the crack and
proceed as normal...

Ta

Tim

Anyone? :-O

Well, as there's no football tonight.....
Depends on the crack. If thick paint won't cover it, try fine filler.
Can't see that pva is going to do anything though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Friday 06 November 2009 20:02

If the joint hasn't been scrimmed it will always crack.

moisture in woodwork will cause enough movement for that.

Use decorator's caulk, a sort of very thick PVA/emulsion paint type
material to fill, and hope, but don't expect, that it will last.

OK - I've heard of caulk, but never knew what it was, or was for.

Many thanks,

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Friday 06 November 2009 20:02

If the joint hasn't been scrimmed it will always crack.

moisture in woodwork will cause enough movement for that.

Use decorator's caulk, a sort of very thick PVA/emulsion paint type
material to fill, and hope, but don't expect, that it will last.

OK - I've heard of caulk, but never knew what it was, or was for.

Many thanks,

Tim

I'd say caulk was more for larger gaps between plaster and woodwork, too
coarse for cracks. IME you will have a job hiding the repair if you use
anything other than paint or a very fine filler and, if the latter, try
and keep it off the adjoining area. The difference in texture when it's
rubbed down can show up as much as the problem it was supposed to fix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:24:22 +0000, Tim W wrote:

Hi,

Just been looking up at the ceiling in the kitchen and the mist coat is
showing a long straight-ish hairline crack. Probably on the join of two
PB panels.

That's to be expected I suppose - it's been cold and I expect something
has shrunk.

Anyway - I usually use Dulux Rich Matt for ceilings. Is it worth using
something else for this - something with some forgiveness of slight
cracks?

Otherwise my default action will be to paint neat PVA along the crack
and proceed as normal...

Ta

Tim

I had a couple of these hairline cracks appear after I skimmed over the
rough artex in the lounge.

They re-appeared after filling.

Is the ceiling flat?

As my ceiling was flat (after skimming), I bit the bullet and papered
with 1000 gauge lining paper. Quite a bit of work but no cracks after 2
1/2 years.

SteveE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
[...]

Lining paper is surprisingly strong.

SteveE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve
wibbled on Saturday 07 November 2009 09:12

I had a couple of these hairline cracks appear after I skimmed over the
rough artex in the lounge.

They re-appeared after filling.

Is the ceiling flat?

Fairly.

As my ceiling was flat (after skimming), I bit the bullet and papered
with 1000 gauge lining paper. Quite a bit of work but no cracks after 2
1/2 years.

That's why I was wondering about a drop of PVA to bind the edges together
and reduce future movement. The cracks are *extremely* fine - only just
feel them with a fingernail.

The paint will cover them no probs, but if the cracks move again, it may
appear through the paint, which would be a shame...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Saturday 07 November 2009 09:21

Steve wrote:
[...]

I'm trying to avoid paper on the ceilings, especially kitchen as IME it has
a nasty tendency to fall off when hot with steam periodically...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Steve
wibbled on Saturday 07 November 2009 09:12

I had a couple of these hairline cracks appear after I skimmed over the
rough artex in the lounge.

They re-appeared after filling.

Is the ceiling flat?

Fairly.

As my ceiling was flat (after skimming), I bit the bullet and papered
with 1000 gauge lining paper. Quite a bit of work but no cracks after 2
1/2 years.

That's why I was wondering about a drop of PVA to bind the edges together
and reduce future movement. The cracks are *extremely* fine - only just
feel them with a fingernail.

The paint will cover them no probs, but if the cracks move again, it may
appear through the paint, which would be a shame...

Then you paint them again :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 09:33:00 +0000, Tim W wrote:

I'm trying to avoid paper on the ceilings, especially kitchen as IME it
has a nasty tendency to fall off when hot with steam periodically...

I understand your reservations about papering the ceiling in a steamy
room, but lining paper can be stuck up with PVA which, once painted,
should offer more resistance to peeling.

SteveE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 09:31:59 +0000, Tim W wrote:

Steve
wibbled on Saturday 07 November 2009 09:12

I had a couple of these hairline cracks appear after I skimmed over the
rough artex in the lounge.

They re-appeared after filling.

Is the ceiling flat?

Fairly.

As my ceiling was flat (after skimming), I bit the bullet and papered
with 1000 gauge lining paper. Quite a bit of work but no cracks after 2
1/2 years.

That's why I was wondering about a drop of PVA to bind the edges
together and reduce future movement. The cracks are *extremely* fine -
only just feel them with a fingernail.

The paint will cover them no probs, but if the cracks move again, it may
appear through the paint, which would be a shame...

I think that the cracks will come back quite quickly.

I tried wiping diluted filler into the cracks after painting them with
PVA. That failed. I then gouged the cracks and filled again. That failed
too. They look OK after painting but give it a while and the cracks will
be back :-(

SteveE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
[...]

which will beat up on any studwork the plasterboard is attached to and
almost certainly cause a crack..

there's a hole in my bucket...;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
[...]

really, unless you gouge and use flexible caulk, you have to add tensile
strength to the join. The 'correct' solution is glass scrim tape under
the skim. The after market solution is lining paper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Saturday 07 November 2009 10:56

Steve wrote:
[...]

I meant hit, not hot :-)

Stupide laptop keyboard...

Anyway, it's a kitchen, so there will be steam. But not 100% of the time.
The studwork are floor joists above.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 09:33:00 +0000, Tim W wrote:

I'm trying to avoid paper on the ceilings, especially kitchen as IME it
has a nasty tendency to fall off when hot with steam periodically...

I understand your reservations about papering the ceiling in a steamy
room, but lining paper can be stuck up with PVA which, once painted,
should offer more resistance to peeling.

SteveE

I wouldn't fancy papering a ceiling with pva glue. Difficult enough with
ordinary paste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:29:11 +0000, Stuart Noble wrote:

Steve wrote:
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 09:33:00 +0000, Tim W wrote:

I'm trying to avoid paper on the ceilings, especially kitchen as IME
it has a nasty tendency to fall off when hot with steam
periodically...

I understand your reservations about papering the ceiling in a steamy
room, but lining paper can be stuck up with PVA which, once painted,
should offer more resistance to peeling.

SteveE

I wouldn't fancy papering a ceiling with pva glue. Difficult enough with
ordinary paste.

I must admit that I have not needed to use PVA type glue on a ceiling yet
but I have used it on walls without any problem.

SWMBO wanted this really posh heavy Italian vinyl paper (£16/roll) for
the lounge in our old property and the instructions said to use special
glue. We got this special glue from the same decorators shop as the
paper. It came in tubs at a special price. It looked like PVA and smelt
like PVA.

I thought to myself "this is going to be a nightmare", but surprisingly
the job turned out to be nearly as easy as wallpapering with normal
paste. Paper was easy to slide into exact position and to smooth down. It
was a bit more difficult to work the paste when pasting the paper but
that just meant each strip took a bit longer. I do not know whether there
were any additives to assist sliding or to retard the drying process but
I suspect not.

As for ceilings, they are really not much more difficult than walls
provided one has a helper. Otherwise they can be a pain!

SteveE