Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Security/locks for steel shipping container?

40 foot steel shipping container on a well-managed storage-facility
site, but a significant bit of value going in it.

I've figured out what I *think* I will use for locks.

But (no clues now!) I'd like to hear what you regard as good security
in terms of physical locks on a standard steel shipping container.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 23:52:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

But (no clues now!) I'd like to hear what you regard as good security
in terms of physical locks on a standard steel shipping container.

The lock is less important than preventing access to it for cutting
tools so something like

http://www.contain-a-lock.co.uk/
http://www.containersforsale.co.uk/lockboxes.html

to shroud the lock is essential.

Most attacks are brute force rather than subtle
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I agree, and I'd do exactly that if it was my own container - but it's
rented and at a storage facility site.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 10:08, Peter Parry wrote:

The lock is less important than preventing access to it for cutting
tools so something like

http://www.contain-a-lock.co.uk/
http://www.containersforsale.co.uk/lockboxes.html

to shroud the lock is essential.

Agreed. I've got a box locked over the main padlock, which is in turn
held by two other padlocks. Access involves cutting two good quality
Abus Diskus Plus locks to remove the box, then cutting a third
different "turtle" lock design, which is itself shrouded by a collar
to prevent cutting into it from the side.

It was easier to retrofit a loose box over two fixed (bolted) staples
than it was to attach a permanent lock cover - mostly because I could
fabricate and weld anything I liked in the workshop, but the container
was already out in the sticks and there was no easy way to get a
welder to it.

Easiest way into it now is to bring a petrol disk cutter and go in
through the side of the container, which is about as good as it gets
on that budget. If that's a problem, use a digger to put an earth berm
over the container, which also keeps it warmer and less obvious. I
believe the National Trust are now making this a requirement for
people putting containers on site - scrape a shallow trench out, park
the container in it, then use the soil to cover one side and top as a
ha ha that's hidden from the houseful of grockles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Same as the previous poster I'm afraid - rented, not my container, so
reliant on whatever locks I can add on without alteration to the
container.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Same as the previous poster I'm afraid - rented, not my container, so
reliant on whatever locks I can add on without alteration to the
container.

What do the people you're renting it from provide?

The one I had and the one a friend had (different companies) had boxes
welded onto them and hefty padlocks inside in such a manner that grinding
out would be tedious. Not that all that's actually necessary round here :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Their site is pretty good. It's a removals and storage company with
high fences around a yard well exposed to view from the road, and
floodlighting. Yard is only open when staff are present.

However it's a standard container with no security modifications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Again, I would do something similar, were it my own container.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What do the people you're renting it from provide?

Nothing. It's a standard container. That means there are two vertical
rods on each door, with rotate to move home cam/hook bolts top and
bottom.

The one I had and the one a friend had (different companies) had boxes
welded onto them and hefty padlocks inside in such a manner that grinding

My last one did - good arrangement - very hefty padlock in difficult-
to-attack location.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 19:14, " wrote:
Again, I would do something similar, were it my own container.

So ask the owner. "I'd like to improve the security of your
container, in a reusable way, at no cost to you."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Think thief.

I do indeed. My domestic and vehicle security arrangements are based
around what would hold me up for a good while, even with the right
tools and knowledge of what I'm up against.

I'm hoping for a few replies of the sort "don't do x because of well-
known-attack-method-on-containers", or "do y as everyone around me got
robbed, but they couldn't get into mine"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:46:06 -0800, Owain wrote:
Also be aware they can be bggrs for condensation, depending on what
you are storing inside you might want dehydrating packs.

vacuum-seal the contents, then top up the rest of the container with cow
crap. That'll learn the *******s when they break in. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 15:27, Owain wrote:

If it's on a storage site the likelihood of somebody turning up with a
lorry and whisking the whole thing away is minimal, but in other
circumstances this might be a real possibility.

The fix for that is generally an earth bank to stop anyone parking the
truck near enough for the crane to reach.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 19:46, Owain wrote:

AIUI the floor of those containers is wood, not steel, so if someone
can jack it up they might be able to get in through the underside.

nah they're all corrugated steel with ply lined floor so fork trucks
can operate -

Also be aware they can be bggrs for condensation, depending on what
you are storing inside you might want dehydrating packs.

or line with cheap 50mm polystyrene sheets and use pallet shrouds over
your gear, but be prepared for dampness

JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 15:50, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
40 foot steel shipping container on a well-managed storage-facility
site, but a significant bit of value going in it.

I've figured out what I *think* I will use for locks.

But (no clues now!) I'd like to hear what you regard as good security
in terms of physical locks on a standard steel shipping container.

something that can't be drilled out or jemmied open.

Think thief. You have a portable power drill and a crowbar in the boot.
Can you get in, in less than 10 minutes, without attracting attention?
If not, drive on.

Think cordless angle grinder nowadays, or for the well equipped ned,
Stihl Cutquik :-(

The noise may not be a problem for Sid Smackhed if locks are out of
the way.

Security trucks have non setting glue in the side panels to gum up
cutters , do any of the lock shields have any way of slowing down
cutting wheel attack?

Thanks
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

40 foot steel shipping container on a well-managed storage-facility
site, but a significant bit of value going in it.

devil's advocate

To you. But to a potential thief its just one of a hundred or more
containers on that site. At a guess most people use these for storing
relatively bulky items furniture etc and if there were any valuable items
they'd most likely store them right at the front. But as I say that's a guess.
If I were a thief I'd much rather burgle peoples houses where I knew at worst
I could at least get a few bits to flog down the pub. Rather than spend my time
breaking into shipping containers with an angle grinder only to find an old three
piece suite and a wardrobe and suitcases full of clothes. This on a secure site
where I'd probably only have ten minutes to work in. Presumably on a secure
site you need to show ID on entry and the security guard will know the
location of your container and will do a regular visual check on the CCTV as
to which containers should be open at any point.

Saying which, it may be wise to take a bit of care when loading the thing
disguise any valuable items as something else in case people do keep a
look out, and store them right at the front. If you could get hold
of a couple of old wardrobes - which you could fill with less valuable
stuff you're storing - put these near the back that would be a help. There's
probably only so much stuff any thief would work their way through before
giving up. Whereas you could possible leave yourself an easily cleared path
to the back should you need to do so. You could also maybe also make up a
couple of boxes of old clothes of your own or from jumble sales to leave
right at the back. To give the impression that its mostly old rubbish.
A few medical waste sacks might also work.

Another question is whether the site offer any form of insurance cover.

I don't have any statistics about this as to whether theft from storage
containers is a very big problem and whether the biggest losses are
suffered by people who dont take adequate precautions. So this is all
guesswork.

Saying which another point may be to have a look at what everybody else has
got in the way of locks. If your lock is a lot more expensive looking (whatevr
that means) than everybody elses - then that might be an indication there's
more than old furniture inside. If a lot of the other containers have cheap
looking locks then that probably means that people are using them to store
mainly bulky items - furniture before a move and thieves will already
have realised this and so won't even bother.

michael adams

I've figured out what I *think* I will use for locks.

But (no clues now!) I'd like to hear what you regard as good security
in terms of physical locks on a standard steel shipping container.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 2 Nov, 07:52, " wrote:
40 foot steel shipping container on a well-managed storage-facility
site, but a significant bit of value going in it.

If it's on a storage site the likelihood of somebody turning up with a
lorry and whisking the whole thing away is minimal, but in other
circumstances this might be a real possibility.

As a matter of interest how do you get a shipping container from
the ground onto the back of a lorry or onto a trailer ?

michael adams

You could put a "beware of the dog" sign on the outside :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/09 09:14, michael adams wrote:

As a matter of interest how do you get a shipping container from
the ground onto the back of a lorry or onto a trailer ?

http://www.containerlift.co.uk/Equipment/Sidelifters/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:07:34 -0000, michael adams wrote:

if there were any valuable items they'd most likely store them right at
the front.

snip
Saying which, it may be wise to take a bit of care when loading the
thing disguise any valuable items as something else in case people do
keep a look out,

That would be worth doing, people do watch and you don't know who is
watching. Even, perhaps particularly, via the CCTV...

and store them right at the front.

snip
If you could get hold of a couple of old wardrobes - which you could
fill with less valuable stuff you're storing - put these near the back
that would be a help.

Is it just me or is there a front/back reversal here? To me "back"
would be furthest from the doors and "front" nearest but then I'm
considering the thing as a box on the ground not on a trailer...

But yes putting the valuable stuff furthest from the doors, hidden by
"junk" isn't a bad idea.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:14:15 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

As a matter of interest how do you get a shipping container from
the ground onto the back of a lorry or onto a trailer ?

The simple way is container jacks. These are high lift screw jacks
which fit in the ISO 1161 corner lugs on the container and allow it to
be lifted sufficiently for a flatbed lorry to be backed underneath.
http://img.directindustry.com/images...ice-370746.jpg
is the posh electrical version.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
On 2 Nov, 07:52, " wrote:
40 foot steel shipping container on a well-managed storage-facility
site, but a significant bit of value going in it.

If it's on a storage site the likelihood of somebody turning up with a
lorry and whisking the whole thing away is minimal, but in other
circumstances this might be a real possibility.

As a matter of interest how do you get a shipping container from
the ground onto the back of a lorry or onto a trailer ?

Well, there are several options. Two (container side lifter and
high-lift jacks) have been noted by others.

IME, both of the above solutions are not so common. The three most
common solutions would be:-

1. Knuckle-boom crane (aka Hiab).

http://www.sjonescontainers.co.uk/im...20hiab%201.jpg

2. Separate Crane and truck.

http://blogs.sun.com/geekism/resourc...-IA-crane1.jpg

3. Hook-loader.

http://img.directindustry.com/images...ler-113707.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
On 2 Nov, 07:52, " wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I did realise that.

My point was that anyone who'd go to the trouble of stealing one of those
would already know what was in the container. They'd hardly do it on spec.
Just in the hope that any container they found sitting in a field didn't
contain just a few bags of fertiliser.

Anywhere where you could lift a container without being noticed is also
the sort of place where any farmer would lock it to prevent his
bags of fertiliser or chainsaw being nicked by ne'er do wells.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
michael adams wrote:
[...]