Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any old iron? Microwave knacked.

Having ordered (for £13.50) a new fuse part for our Matsui microwave,
I've decided it's scrap (since when I had it reassembled, it produced a
spectacular show of sparks, crackles and smells when I tried to use it).

Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot:
has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? I hate chucking stuff
away ... as my garage, utility, loft, sheds, all testify).

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 6:11*pm, Jonelle wrote:
Having ordered (for £13.50) a new fuse part for our Matsui microwave,
I've decided it's scrap (since when I had it reassembled, it produced a
spectacular show of sparks, crackles and smells when I tried to use it).

Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot: *
has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? *I hate chucking stuff
away ... as my garage, utility, loft, sheds, all testify).

John

The transformer can make a small welder if rewound. Ideally use the
fan with it.
Door glass makes a chopping board.
Turntable motor makes a megger.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct, 18:11, Jonelle wrote:

Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot: *
has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? *

Be quick!
http://steampunkworkshop.com/microwa...ng-crank-ghost

Two big magnets in the magnetron

Three or four reusable microswitches in the door interlocks

Door window's perforated steel sheet makes a drainer for the garage
parts washer tank.

Timer (clockwork only) makes a runback timer for many uses, which may
also have a simple PWM duty cycle switch in it.

Stainless case or inner scrap makes electrodes for electrolytic de-
rusting of old woodworking tools.

Case outer is three usable panels of painted steel, one of which might
have vent louvres pressed into it.

A load of short self-tappers for steelwork.

Microwave window seems to be low-grade mica and is heatproof enough to
wind a nichrome heating element on.

A transformer that makes a particularly poor quality PSU for a Tesla
coil (not recommended), but the capacitor is a little more useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 30 Oct, 18:11, Jonelle wrote:

[...]

Can you not think of a use for the lamp? It is about the only thing you
have ommited.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 7:47*pm, PJ wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 30 Oct, 18:11, Jonelle wrote:

[...]

with the lamp you could heat the pie.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct, 19:47, PJ wrote:

Can you not think of a use for the lamp?

Spare for your working microwave! It's the one reason I usually get
round to stripping a dead microwave down, because I need a spare lamp.

BTW - does anyone else keep a workshop microwave, just for heating
noxious stuff that's going to make it unfoodable afterwards, or things
with an explosion hazard?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonelle" wrote in message
news
Having ordered (for £13.50) a new fuse part for our Matsui microwave,
I've decided it's scrap (since when I had it reassembled, it produced a
spectacular show of sparks, crackles and smells when I tried to use it).

Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot:
has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? I hate chucking stuff
away ... as my garage, utility, loft, sheds, all testify).

Mount the magnetron at the focal point of a satellite dish and point it
though the window of the people opposite.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote
Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot:
has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? I hate chucking stuff
away ... as my garage, utility, loft, sheds, all testify).

Mount the magnetron at the focal point of a satellite dish and point it
though the window of the people opposite.

i really wish you haddnt said that,
my microwave is playing up so gonna get a new un soon, i have an old sky
dish sat in the garage just because i may have a use for it one day, and i
have neigbours who are a pain in the arse opposite me......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot:
has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? I hate chucking stuff
away ... as my garage, utility, loft, sheds, all testify).

OP he Blimey lads: I used to think I was a bit of a DIYer ...now I
see that I am merely scratching at the outer limits! My own aspirations
had got as far as the one that said "Use plate as cheese or fruit dish"

Thanks: very erm - ?? useful? -- humbling, at any rate!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 6:11*pm, Jonelle wrote:
Having ordered (for £13.50) a new fuse part for our Matsui microwave,
I've decided it's scrap (since when I had it reassembled, it produced a
spectacular show of sparks, crackles and smells when I tried to use it).

Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot: *
has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? *I hate chucking stuff
away ... as my garage, utility, loft, sheds, all testify).

John

If you're brave you could make a microwave space heater. A tiny amount
of microwave energy can keep people warm in an otherwise cool room -
it feels nicer than conventional heating too, as youre warm in cool
air. You'd need to make the power level control failsafe, so that
whatever part fails it can't leap to full power output and cook
everyone.

The other relatively interesting use for a dead nuke is to convert it
to an electrode cooker. The case with safe interlock is ideal for
this.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:11:36 +0000, Jonelle
wrote:

Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot:
has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? I hate chucking stuff
away ... as my garage, utility, loft, sheds, all testify).

1: With the aid of a rope, a couple of pulleys and a trip wire, an old
microwave suspended above your front door makes an effective burglar
deterrent. If painted black with a red pentagram it will also ward off
Jehovah's Witnesses.

2: With a hole cut in the bottom of sufficient size for a child to get
their head through, an old microwave makes a cheap and fun home-made
diving helmet that will draw gasps of envy from other children when
you next visit the sea-side.

3: Attached to the wall by your front door, it's an ideal place for
the postman to leave small parcels that won't go through the
letterbox.

4: Make your very own bacon smoker by sellotaping strips of bacon to
the interior roof of the microwave and placing a plate of smouldering
oak chips below.

5: Annoyed by household thieves drinking your whisky or scoffing your
chocolates? Place your items in the microwave and listen out for the
tell-tale 'ding' as the miscreant attempts to snaffle your treats.

6: Unruly children can be swiftly brought into line by placing their
toys/pets in the non-functioning microwave and giving the dial a
twist.

7: Pep up the festive season with a 'giant advent calendar'. Simply
write the date on the door each day and place a suitable treat inside.

8: Fool housebreakers by attaching a photograph of a pie to the door,
then place your valuables inside the microwave.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
BTW - does anyone else keep a workshop microwave, just for heating
noxious stuff that's going to make it unfoodable afterwards, or things
with an explosion hazard?

I don't, but I did wonder about using one in the shed for killing weed seeds
in potting compost.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:
[snip clever ideas]
8: Fool housebreakers by attaching a photograph of a pie to the door,
then place your valuables inside the microwave.

Nice. Also:

9. Paint it black and cut a slot in the top. Then you have a handy
ballot box for use in elections. Remember to remove the plug so
you can't be accused of cooking the votes.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonelle wrote:
I've decided it's scrap (since when I had it reassembled, it produced a
spectacular show of sparks, crackles and smells when I tried to use it).

Perfect case to build a PC. Can even stick an LCD monitor in the door!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 10:22*pm, Adrian C wrote:
Jonelle wrote:

I've decided it's scrap (since when I had it reassembled, it produced a
spectacular show of sparks, crackles and smells when I tried to use it)..

Perfect case to build a PC. Can even stick an LCD monitor in the door!

hamster cage??

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Howard
saying something like:

8: Fool housebreakers by attaching a photograph of a pie to the door,
then place your valuables inside the microwave.

Keep some rapid-setting concrete mix handy and use the empty m/wave as a
mould for encasing burglars' feet. A trip to the docks is optional after
this.