Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's this fastener called?

Can anyone tell me the correct name for the fastener that's commonly
used to hold the wheels onto an axle of kids toys, or push chairs. It
looks like a domed metal cap with a captive star washer inside that
pushes onto the end of the axle and the "teeth" on the star washer
grip the end of the axle to stop the cap from coming off.

If I can find the proper name I might then be able to google to find a
source for them.

Thanks
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
news
Can anyone tell me the correct name for the fastener that's commonly
used to hold the wheels onto an axle of kids toys, or push chairs. It
looks like a domed metal cap with a captive star washer inside that
pushes onto the end of the axle and the "teeth" on the star washer
grip the end of the axle to stop the cap from coming off.

If I can find the proper name I might then be able to google to find a
source for them.

So let me see if I've got this right. You want a domed cap with a star
washer in it. Hmmm let me take a real flyer on this on this and type "domed
cap star washer" into Google. Yeah I know, I'm just a real crazy guy but
I'll give anything a whirl once.

http://www.bakfin.com/starlock/domedcap.html

Now that was hard wasn't it?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker wrote:

So let me see if I've got this right. You want a domed cap with a star
washer in it. Hmmm let me take a real flyer on this on this and type "domed
cap star washer" into Google. Yeah I know, I'm just a real crazy guy but
I'll give anything a whirl once.

http://www.bakfin.com/starlock/domedcap.html

I think you meant http://tinyurl.com/yzf7w3s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 16, 9:23*pm, DavidM wrote:
looks like a domed metal cap with a captive star washer inside that
pushes onto the end of the axle and the "teeth" on the star washer
grip the end of the axle to stop the cap from coming off.

GM... I think we have a new way of attaching wheels... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
"DavidM" wrote in message
news
Can anyone tell me the correct name for the fastener that's commonly
used to hold the wheels onto an axle of kids toys, or push chairs. It
looks like a domed metal cap with a captive star washer inside that
pushes onto the end of the axle and the "teeth" on the star washer
grip the end of the axle to stop the cap from coming off.

If I can find the proper name I might then be able to google to find a
source for them.

So let me see if I've got this right. You want a domed cap with a star
washer in it. Hmmm let me take a real flyer on this on this and type "domed
cap star washer" into Google. Yeah I know, I'm just a real crazy guy but
I'll give anything a whirl once.

http://www.bakfin.com/starlock/domedcap.html

Now that was hard wasn't it?

Dave, not everyone has our engineering background. Give him some slack
and tell him what he wants.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"D.M.Chapman" dmc@puffin. wrote in message
In article , Dave Baker
wrote:

So let me see if I've got this right. You want a domed cap with a star
washer in it. Hmmm let me take a real flyer on this on this and type
"domed
cap star washer" into Google. Yeah I know, I'm just a real crazy guy but
I'll give anything a whirl once.

http://www.bakfin.com/starlock/domedcap.html

I think you meant http://tinyurl.com/yzf7w3s

did you actually check the results of your 'cleverness'?

No, didn't think so !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:
"DavidM" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thank you for being polite, you're so right, not many people know how to ask
because they don't know how to describe what they're asking for.

s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
On Oct 16, 9:23 pm, DavidM wrote:
looks like a domed metal cap with a captive star washer inside that
pushes onto the end of the axle and the "teeth" on the star washer
grip the end of the axle to stop the cap from coming off.

GM... I think we have a new way of attaching wheels... :-)

Heh. Had a lift in a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 something the other day. I heard
what you mean.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
OG wrote:

"D.M.Chapman" dmc@puffin. wrote in message

http://www.bakfin.com/starlock/domedcap.html

I think you meant http://tinyurl.com/yzf7w3s

did you actually check the results of your 'cleverness'?

I did actually - it found this thread amusingly

Although interestingly, it now finds some indian site above it. In fact,
there seems to be several indian sites. Are as fasteners made in india
these days or something?

No, didn't think so !

:-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
On Oct 16, 9:23 pm, DavidM wrote:
looks like a domed metal cap with a captive star washer inside that
pushes onto the end of the axle and the "teeth" on the star washer
grip the end of the axle to stop the cap from coming off.

GM... I think we have a new way of attaching wheels... :-)

Heh. Had a lift in a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 something the other day. I heard
what you mean.

I dunno what its called but model shops sell em to hold on model plane
wheels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Oct, 20:23, DavidM wrote:
Can anyone tell me the correct name for the fastener that's commonly
used to hold the wheels onto an axle of kids toys, or push chairs. It
looks like a domed metal cap with a captive star washer inside that
pushes onto the end of the axle and the "teeth" on the star washer
grip the end of the axle to stop the cap from coming off.

If I can find the proper name I might then be able to google to find a
source for them.

Thanks
David.

dude,
dunno if you got your answer or not, i can't bear to read all the
following smugness. what you are after are called starlocks, you can
google it & buy a kit, or get individual ones from a engineering
fastner stockist.

hope this helps

justin

Fastener FAQ? MiamiCuse Home Repair 11 December 30th 08 03:01 PM
Have you seen this fastener? [email protected][_2_] Woodworking 2 October 9th 07 09:15 PM
What kind of fastener is this? [email protected] Metalworking 9 August 30th 07 06:23 AM
drywall fastener... [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 13th 07 06:20 PM
Help, Metal fastener Name Sunworshipper Metalworking 5 October 2nd 05 01:36 PM