Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default d-i-y face hedge trimmers?

Hi All,

On the subject of power tools. ;-)

Since all my hair fell through my head and came out of my face I've
been using a Remington HC-200 mains-rechargeable trimmer (mainly on
mains) and it's been very good indeed. In fact I didn't realise how
good until it fizzled out the other day and rather than look at it I
got out the Whal trimmer I was bought as a present a few years back
and gave it a go.

I would have to say it's either faulty or pathetic (which I didn't
think it would be given it's size and weight), stalling when given
some actual work to do on say a slightly-left-too-long beard. ;-(

I think the 'difference' between the two products is that the
Remington uses positive movement on the blades via an eccentric on the
motor spindle (like a mobile phone vibrate) whereas the Wahl feels
like it's induction vibration (like on a fish tank pair pump).

Soo, liking the Remington I was looking at this, the 'Remington Barba
Beard Trimmer':

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ye4zwbw
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yesdtxr

And wondered if anyone had one, what they thought of it and (out of
interest) does it use the eccentric or vibrate process please?

FWIW it seems to have some pretty positive reviews on the Argos site.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Because the fine depth guide on the HC-200 is a manual slide
affair, on a couple of occasions I've left it set to '0' (rather than
my more typical 3) and ended up giving myself a reverse Mohican! ;-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

T i m wrote:
[...]

Not answering your question, but recently I bought some shaving oil for
wet shaving and noticed the instructions included using it with an
electric. So I tried. And it does make the experience much nicer. Just a
drop or two.

Here's a link to one such oil, probably the best known:

http://www.shave.com/shave/?tab=oil

Mind, probably a *really* bad idea on a beard.

(Facial equivalent of WD40? :-) )

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
[...]

Wahl trimmers are meant to be pretty good, did you try adjusting it?

There's an adjusting screw on the side and you turn it (can remember
which way) until it makes a hell of a racket then you turn it the other
way until the racket just stops, then it's working at peak cuttiness.

If it really was branded Whal then you may have a cheap Chinese copy.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Soo, liking the Remington I was looking at this, the 'Remington Barba
Beard Trimmer':

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ye4zwbw
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yesdtxr

Can't comment on the Remington but I rather like my Philips vacuum trimmer.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4427287.htm

Certainly cuts down on the beard bits all over the bathroom.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wahl trimmers are meant to be pretty good, did you try adjusting it?

I have to admit to replacing a Babyliss (yeah, okay, Argos "special")
with a Wahl from a hairdresser's supplier, and it was like comparing
chalk with cheese re. performance (the Wahl being vastly superior).

Agreed - tweak the adjustment on it and try.

Never tried a Remington - obviously a big name in trimmers, but there
must be something with the Wahl range being stocked by a professional
hair-stuff supplier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Soo, liking the Remington I was looking at this, the 'Remington Barba
Beard Trimmer':

FWIW, I use this clipper when I'm in Italy:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yaxruok

and this one in the UK:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yazl4n3

Of the two the Remington (mains) is much better than the Bayliss. The
Remington doesn't need clipper oil, it's more powerful as you suggested
and the accessories etc are all well made. The Babyliss works but it's a
PITA and the ceramic cutter broke on my beard hairs. Yes, I really am
Desperate Dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 16:15:35 +0100, Rod
wrote:

Not answering your question, but recently I bought some shaving oil for
wet shaving

(I use some foam stuff / disposable razor when I tidy round the edges.
Seems ok?)

and noticed the instructions included using it with an
electric. So I tried. And it does make the experience much nicer. Just a
drop or two.

Ok.

Here's a link to one such oil, probably the best known:

http://www.shave.com/shave/?tab=oil

Ta.

Mind, probably a *really* bad idea on a beard.

(Facial equivalent of WD40? :-) )

Now why does the idea still appeal for some reason? ;-)

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:26:32 +0100, fred wrote:

Wahl trimmers are meant to be pretty good, did you try adjusting it?

Well, on the side there is a lever that seems to move tone half of the
blade pair against the other (so there is more / less of the 'teeth'
of one aligned with the other)?

There's an adjusting screw on the side and you turn it (can remember
which way) until it makes a hell of a racket then you turn it the other
way until the racket just stops, then it's working at peak cuttiness.

I think I remember it being *very* noisy when I first got it but when
I got it out earlier it started nearly silently. I gave it a prod and
a shake and it seemed to perk up, enough to do my head then it started
dying out (going very quiet) seemingly randomly?

If it really was branded Whal then you may have a cheap Chinese copy.

It defo says Wahl on the label but I guess it could easily be a clone
.... checks Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ext%3EWAHL.htm
http://tinyurl.com/y92npc8

That looks very like them (inc all the bits) and it would appear from
some of the reviews I'm not the only one with a duff set. ;-(

It looks like they have replaced the plastic 'volume' lever on mine
with clockwork! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:26:32 +0100, fred wrote:

Wahl trimmers are meant to be pretty good, did you try adjusting it?

Well, on the side there is a lever that seems to move tone half of the
blade pair against the other (so there is more / less of the 'teeth'
of one aligned with the other)?

that's a fine adjustment for length- used to blend in. The idea is you
move it as you cut.

You're looking for a thing that looks like a flat screw-head, about 8mm
accross.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 17:24:43 +0100, Mike Dodd
wrote:

Wahl trimmers are meant to be pretty good, did you try adjusting it?

I have to admit to replacing a Babyliss (yeah, okay, Argos "special")
with a Wahl from a hairdresser's supplier, and it was like comparing
chalk with cheese re. performance (the Wahl being vastly superior).

Agreed - tweak the adjustment on it and try.

Never tried a Remington - obviously a big name in trimmers, but there
must be something with the Wahl range being stocked by a professional
hair-stuff supplier.

That's what my Mrs and daughter though when they bought them for me a
few years ago. Used them once (too loud for my tinnitus) then fixed
the Remington instead.

Funnily enough and independently of me my Dad also has the same
Remington model as I know as I recently repaired his for him (broken
wire where it joins the Trimmer).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:41:38 +0100, "Tim"
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Soo, liking the Remington I was looking at this, the 'Remington Barba
Beard Trimmer':

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ye4zwbw
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yesdtxr

Can't comment on the Remington but I rather like my Philips vacuum trimmer.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4427287.htm

Certainly cuts down on the beard bits all over the bathroom.

What sort of capacity do they have? Do you have to empty it mid
session etc?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 17:26:18 GMT, Chris Bartram
wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:26:32 +0100, fred wrote:

Wahl trimmers are meant to be pretty good, did you try adjusting it?

Well, on the side there is a lever that seems to move tone half of the
blade pair against the other (so there is more / less of the 'teeth'
of one aligned with the other)?

that's a fine adjustment for length- used to blend in. The idea is you
move it as you cut.

Ah, I thought it looked and felt a bit easy for a 'setting' control
(if you know what I mean).

You're looking for a thing that looks like a flat screw-head, about 8mm
accross.

Ah, the one half way down the handle that on mine looks like the end
of a fuse holder you mean. ;-)

I gave that a few turns and now have the range from quiet to a
tinnitus annoying loud buzz-rattle!

So, if the is a 'correct' setting, what is it please (please don't say
'on the loudest' ..) [1] ;-(

Cheers (very much).

T i m

p.s. Anyone need a concrete vibrator?

[1] Seriously, if it was to be set on loud I really could see myself
being able to use them, not without earplugs anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 17:57:46 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Soo, liking the Remington I was looking at this, the 'Remington Barba
Beard Trimmer':

FWIW, I use this clipper when I'm in Italy:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yaxruok

and this one in the UK:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yazl4n3

Of the two the Remington (mains) is much better than the Bayliss. The
Remington doesn't need clipper oil, it's more powerful as you suggested
and the accessories etc are all well made. The Babyliss works but it's a
PITA and the ceramic cutter broke on my beard hairs. Yes, I really am
Desperate Dan.

;-)

Both seem to have fairly good reviews on the Argos site and neither
particularly expensive either.

Now I seem to have access to the volume control on these Wahls I might
give them another try next week but they are still pretty heavy and
bulky, compared to the old Remingtons. [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] Something you might notice more when using them yourself rather
than on someone else, due to the contorted postures you need to adopt
when d-i-y trimming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:26:32 +0100, fred wrote:

Wahl trimmers are meant to be pretty good, did you try adjusting it?
Well, on the side there is a lever that seems to move tone half of the
blade pair against the other (so there is more / less of the 'teeth'
of one aligned with the other)?

that's a fine adjustment for length- used to blend in. The idea is you
move it as you cut.

Ah, I thought it looked and felt a bit easy for a 'setting' control
(if you know what I mean).
You're looking for a thing that looks like a flat screw-head, about 8mm
accross.

Ah, the one half way down the handle that on mine looks like the end
of a fuse holder you mean. ;-)

That's the one.

I gave that a few turns and now have the range from quiet to a
tinnitus annoying loud buzz-rattle!

So, if the is a 'correct' setting, what is it please (please don't say
'on the loudest' ..) [1] ;-(

Adjust it till it's loud and rattly, then back it off until the rattle
just stops and just a buzz remains.

I found that mine rattled like buggery regardless after oiling, and I
had to take them apart and un-lubricate them a little.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:56:17 GMT, Chris Bartram
wrote:

So, if the is a 'correct' setting, what is it please (please don't say
'on the loudest' ..) [1] ;-(

Adjust it till it's loud and rattly, then back it off until the rattle
just stops and just a buzz remains.

Hmmm, ok.

I found that mine rattled like buggery regardless after oiling, and I
had to take them apart and un-lubricate them a little.

Nothing like a bit of friction damping. ;-)

I wonder if this 'adjustment' is a bit temperamental and therefore why
a) it seemed to work some of the time (though never 'well') and b) why
so many people took theirs back to Argos, some folk even having
multiple replacements?

Was there a manual to read (as I can't see one now and I do usually
keep / read such). I just looked on the Wahl UK site and can't see
anything on there either?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

I'd have said Wahl was the puppys parts when it came to trimmers. I've had
a few el cheapos and nothing compares to the Wahl.

Are you sure it hasn't got a brick stuck in it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m
wibbled on Saturday 03 October 2009 14:31

Hi All,

On the subject of power tools. ;-)

Since all my hair fell through my head and came out of my face I've
been using a Remington HC-200 mains-rechargeable trimmer (mainly on
mains) and it's been very good indeed. In fact I didn't realise how
good until it fizzled out the other day and rather than look at it I
got out the Whal trimmer I was bought as a present a few years back
and gave it a go.

I would have to say it's either faulty or pathetic (which I didn't
think it would be given it's size and weight), stalling when given
some actual work to do on say a slightly-left-too-long beard. ;-(

Curious. I've had a single Whal for the last 15 going on 20 years and I've
abused it - lots of beard, occasional hair, hardly oiled and it's still
going strong.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Soo, liking the Remington I was looking at this, the 'Remington Barba
Beard Trimmer':

FWIW, I use this clipper when I'm in Italy:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yaxruok

and this one in the UK:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yazl4n3

Of the two the Remington (mains) is much better than the Bayliss. The
Remington doesn't need clipper oil, it's more powerful as you suggested
and the accessories etc are all well made. The Babyliss works but it's a
PITA and the ceramic cutter broke on my beard hairs. Yes, I really am
Desperate Dan.

mmm, I have [near enough] the second one (BaByliss - but the hair trimmer)
and it it is noisy when adjusted to spec. It also has only 10 min. duty;
I've a double crown, so half the time is spent trying to cut the sticky-up
bits. A friend had a BaByliss and it just didn't cut at all.

Remington next, methinks.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 20:15:40 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I'd have said Wahl was the puppys parts when it came to trimmers. I've had
a few el cheapos and nothing compares to the Wahl.

Are you sure it hasn't got a brick stuck in it?

Well, it could have been something like that (cleared by the tweak of
a screw), however they do seem to be a bit temperamental.

When I first used them (a couple of years ago) I remember them working
ok just being loud and a bit clumsy (not delicate or refined when
compared with the Remingtons).

I get them out today and initially they hardly moved at all (but
weren't seized as they could be moved easily by hand). I unscrewed the
main blade-anvil bit, dropped out the other cutter, blew the cobwebs
off everything and put them back together again, then it sorta worked?

At least until the blade spring on the Remingtons got weak they 'just
worked'.

I've given the Wahls a tweak and will get some better earplugs for
next time. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:35:01 +0100, Tim W wrote:

Curious. I've had a single Whal for the last 15 going on 20 years and I've
abused it - lots of beard, occasional hair, hardly oiled and it's still
going strong.

Have you ever tweaked it / them though (the volume control on the
side)?

Maybe if set for full volume they would be more reliable or
predictable? Would you consider yours noisy? Could you hear the radio
over them (without turning it up above 'normal'), like I could with
the Remingtons for example?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 21:38:57 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

mmm, I have [near enough] the second one (BaByliss - but the hair trimmer)
and it it is noisy when adjusted to spec.

Sfunny isn't it, I've just 'used' the Remingtons and apart from the
odd clean out behind the cutters (it pops off and on v easily) and the
very rare drop of oil they have just done what they should.

I wonder if this is the (a) difference between those with a
real_hard_mechanical actuation (as with my Remington eccentric crank
drive) and any magnetic induction jobbies?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m
wibbled on Saturday 03 October 2009 22:00

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:35:01 +0100, Tim W wrote:

Curious. I've had a single Whal for the last 15 going on 20 years and I've
abused it - lots of beard, occasional hair, hardly oiled and it's still
going strong.

Have you ever tweaked it / them though (the volume control on the
side)?

Once, to make it work nicely. Don't think I've toutched it since.

Maybe if set for full volume they would be more reliable or
predictable? Would you consider yours noisy? Could you hear the radio
over them (without turning it up above 'normal'), like I could with
the Remingtons for example?

Mine seems happy enough. Doesn't take thick head hair in one swoop - needs a
little patience - but works. Doesn't seem any noiser than one at the
barbers...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 22:14:55 +0100, Tim W wrote:

Mine seems happy enough. Doesn't take thick head hair in one swoop - needs a
little patience - but works.

Hmm, that was something else I noticed as I was trying to plough
through my wiry beard with the Wahl earlier and it was catching a
baulking pretty often (ouch). I even thought "you couldn't shear a
sheep with these, like I could the other things ..."

Doesn't seem any noiser than one at the
barbers...

Again, the ones I remember from the barbers were quite 'loud' as
well.

It's funny isn't it with this sort of stuff. I can't *remember* trying
many different trimmers when I stated doing my (remaining) hair and
beard myself, I think I just bought the Remingtons and have been
happily using them ever since shrug.

From memory the rechargeable function didn't last very long (and / or
I probably didn't charge them very well) so have been using them
directly from he mains in any case (so have had to re-connect the
cable where it joins the clippers a couple of times). Once up to speed
and before the actually cutters wore out they would cleanly, quietly
and efficiently plough through my beard at nearly whatever pace I
fancied.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:41:38 +0100, "Tim"
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Soo, liking the Remington I was looking at this, the 'Remington
Barba Beard Trimmer':

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ye4zwbw
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yesdtxr

Can't comment on the Remington but I rather like my Philips vacuum
trimmer.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4427287.htm

Certainly cuts down on the beard bits all over the bathroom.

What sort of capacity do they have? Do you have to empty it mid
session etc?

Depends on how much you're trimming I guess. Certainly cutting back a
week's worth of growth isn't a problem. It doesn't catch *all* the hair but
it does a pretty good job.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'd have said Wahl was the puppys parts when it came to trimmers.
I've had a few el cheapos and nothing compares to the Wahl.

Are you sure it hasn't got a brick stuck in it?

Well, it could have been something like that (cleared by the tweak of
a screw), however they do seem to be a bit temperamental.

As I guessed - it was just another brick in the Wahl...

I'll get me coat....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So, if the is a 'correct' setting, what is it please (please don't say
'on the loudest' ..) [1] ;-(

Adjust it till it's loud and rattly, then back it off until the rattle
just stops and just a buzz remains.

Hmmm, ok.
I found that mine rattled like buggery regardless after oiling, and I
had to take them apart and un-lubricate them a little.

Nothing like a bit of friction damping. ;-)

I wonder if this 'adjustment' is a bit temperamental and therefore why
a) it seemed to work some of the time (though never 'well') and b) why
so many people took theirs back to Argos, some folk even having
multiple replacements?

Was there a manual to read (as I can't see one now and I do usually
keep / read such). I just looked on the Wahl UK site and can't see
anything on there either?

Cheers, T i m

There was one, but I've lost it :-(. Mine are probably 15 years old now-
I inherited them from my Dad, and he's been gone for 12 now.

From memory the screw thingy adjusts an armature closer to an
electromagnet- the 50Hz mains through that produces the vibration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:

There was one, but I've lost it :-(. Mine are probably 15 years old now-
I inherited them from my Dad, and he's been gone for 12 now.

From memory the screw thingy adjusts an armature closer to an
electromagnet- the 50Hz mains through that produces the vibration.

You admit to using a vibrator?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message m
from Chris Bartram contains these words:

From memory the screw thingy adjusts an armature closer to an
electromagnet- the 50Hz mains through that produces the vibration.

That's how the consumer market Wahls work. Rather less effectively than
the 60Hz ones work. And very much a "suck it and see" approach to
design.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 4, 10:00*pm, Dave wrote:
Chris Bartram wrote:
There was one, but I've lost it :-(. Mine are probably 15 years old now-
I inherited them from my Dad, and he's been gone for 12 now.

*From memory the screw thingy adjusts an armature closer to an
electromagnet- the 50Hz mains through that produces the vibration.

You admit to using a vibrator?

Nothing to be ashamed of. Do you have issues with vibrators?

MBQ

hedge trimmers Stephen[_6_] UK diy 9 August 31st 09 08:02 PM
hedge trimmers Roger Mills UK diy 0 August 30th 09 02:47 PM
Electric Hedge Trimmers Rob UK diy 6 June 19th 08 12:21 PM
Hedge trimmers, generators and invertors Simon[_3_] UK diy 34 October 31st 07 04:15 PM