Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default back boxes & earth terminals

Hello,

I've bought some back boxes from Toolstation but some of the earth
terminals face the wrong way, with the hole for the cable facing the
side of the box. This will make fitting the earth trickier than if the
hole faced into the centre of the box. Is it possible to rotate the
terminals or are they fixed? I've just tried a pair of pliers but they
just seemed to slip. I'm wondering whether to ask for an exchange?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I've bought some back boxes from Toolstation but some of the earth
terminals face the wrong way, with the hole for the cable facing the
side of the box. This will make fitting the earth trickier than if the
hole faced into the centre of the box. Is it possible to rotate the
terminals or are they fixed? I've just tried a pair of pliers but they
just seemed to slip. I'm wondering whether to ask for an exchange?

Do you mean it's a hole which doesn't go all the way through the terminal?

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I've bought some back boxes from Toolstation but some of the earth
terminals face the wrong way, with the hole for the cable facing the
side of the box. This will make fitting the earth trickier than if the
hole faced into the centre of the box. Is it possible to rotate the
terminals or are they fixed? I've just tried a pair of pliers but they
just seemed to slip. I'm wondering whether to ask for an exchange?

Do you mean it's a hole which doesn't go all the way through the terminal?

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

13mm are a disaster waiting to happen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:06:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Do you mean it's a hole which doesn't go all the way through the terminal?

Oh no, the hole goes all the way through but it starts by the left
hand side and runs to the bottom side like this "\", which makes
poking the wire round a but tricky. It would be easier if the hole was
aligned facing the centre of the box and running into the bottom LH
corner like this "/", if that makes sense?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:13:02 +0100, "John"
wrote:

13mm are a disaster waiting to happen.

Why is that? Because the switch and wire are squashed inside? I am
only using the 13mm for some speaker wall plates anything 240v will be
using 35mm. It's the 35mm boxes that are causing me this particular
problem though.

earthing back boxes Fred UK diy 8 July 8th 09 06:38 PM
Back boxes for gridswitches Mike Clarke UK diy 11 March 13th 09 02:54 PM
USA Back boxes (Electical) Vass[_3_] UK diy 2 November 16th 07 09:40 PM
Back Boxes in Thermolites [email protected] UK diy 9 December 10th 04 01:26 PM
Building code: Electrical boxes back-to-back, how many _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 1 March 15th 04 07:34 PM