Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default artex repair

Hello,

We have artex on our ceiling but we had a small leak. This came
through the join between two plasterboard sheets and when I tried to
tidy up, I must have pulled on the joint tape, so I ended up with a
narrow strip say 2" by 12" of bare ceiling.

I know many people think the best thing to do to artex ceilings is to
skim over them but to save some money, I bought a small pot of "artex
repair texture" from B&Q. The problem is that I haven't done a very
good job of it and the new bit is not flush with the old bit and there
is some overlap on the border. How can I get this off to try again?

I understand that old artex had some asbestos is, so I cannot sand or
grind it off. Will it chisel, or is it time to phone a plasterer?

If I do go down the plastering route, should I rip off the ceiling and
reboard it? I only ask because last time I had a ceiling plastered,
the chap suggested it would be easier to plaster a fresh board rather
than plaster over artex. I didn't mind doing that because it was a
small room but I'm wondering whether it is strictly necessary
considering that ceiling removal can be a mucky job.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
news
[...]

IIRC when we needed an artex ceiling repaired the plasterer told us that he
could not guarantee plastering straight over artex - plaster might not bond
despite using bonding stuff - so it was better to put up another layer of
plasterboard and then plaster that.

Much the same price, but with a better chance of a good result.

We chose that option :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 2:04*pm, Stephen wrote:
[...]

Lot of people just knock the nipples off then plaster direct on the
artex. I've never seen an artex patch look unnoticeable, it just
doesnt seem to work that way.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

ps maybe an opportunity to try plastering yourself. Nothing to lose
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:04:20 +0100, Stephen wrote:

[...]

When we reboarded our living room ceiling after the seam on the hot water
tank leaked, we just plasterboarded over the existing ceiling - there's no
meed to take it down. Doing it this way was much quicker, easier and
cleaner and allowed thinner plasterboard (easier to handle) to be used, as
you we didn't need to worry about fire resistance, as the old ceiling is
still there.

But if you are not too unhappy with the artex, I'd make the effort to get
the repair right instead. I can't help you with how to do that though.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:19:06 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

so it was better to put up another layer of
plasterboard and then plaster that.

Did you fit the new plasterboard over the old, as suggested in an
earlier reply?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:15:31 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

ps maybe an opportunity to try plastering yourself. Nothing to lose

I would like to learn. I hear there are some courses you can go to;
I'll have to look into that. However, I think I should learn on a wall
rather than a ceiling.

Artex repair = polyfilla+emulsion paint? Harry W B UK diy 8 June 5th 07 10:32 AM
Plastering onto artex Staffbull UK diy 10 February 25th 07 03:23 PM
artex william callander UK diy 2 October 3rd 04 02:38 AM
Artex Pat Davis UK diy 34 October 31st 03 01:18 PM
Artex again David UK diy 4 October 9th 03 09:21 PM