Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oven element, life of

Had the pleasure of a warming sight today, a replacement oven element
on fire. Even had fancy pshhhh sound effects as something or other
repeatedly exploded at low pressure.

When buying an element, is there any way to increase the odds of
getting one that will last a decent length of time?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 06:13:21 -0700, NT wrote:

Had the pleasure of a warming sight today, a replacement oven element
on fire. Even had fancy pshhhh sound effects as something or other
repeatedly exploded at low pressure.

I saw an over-top ring do that once as a kid, fascinating to watch.

When buying an element, is there any way to increase the odds of
getting one that will last a decent length of time?

Not sure, but probably not. Ours are over 30 years old and have never been
replaced. It's probably a bit of a lottery, unless of course everyone's
cut corners and they're all crap these days :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 3:32*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 06:13:21 -0700, NT wrote:
Had the pleasure of a warming sight today, a replacement oven element
on fire. Even had fancy pshhhh sound effects as something or other
repeatedly exploded at low pressure.

I saw an over-top ring do that once as a kid, fascinating to watch.

When buying an element, is there any way to increase the odds of
getting one that will last a decent length of time?

Not sure, but probably not. Ours are over 30 years old and have never been
replaced. It's probably a bit of a lottery, unless of course everyone's
cut corners and they're all crap these days :-)

That's what I suspect - hopefully wrongly. Just how hard is it to fill
a tube with mag oxide after inserting a spring of resistance wire?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:42:30 -0700, NT wrote:
Not sure, but probably not. Ours are over 30 years old and have never been
replaced. It's probably a bit of a lottery, unless of course everyone's
cut corners and they're all crap these days :-)

That's what I suspect - hopefully wrongly. Just how hard is it to fill
a tube with mag oxide after inserting a spring of resistance wire?

I've never looked into what's actually inside them; I suppose it's
possible that they can scrimp on material used in the outer layer and thus
make manufacturing cheaper, but maybe It Doesn't Work Like That*.

* that should really be a usenet acronym, particularly for this group

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Jules writes:
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:42:30 -0700, NT wrote:
Not sure, but probably not. Ours are over 30 years old and have never been
replaced. It's probably a bit of a lottery, unless of course everyone's
cut corners and they're all crap these days :-)

That's what I suspect - hopefully wrongly. Just how hard is it to fill
a tube with mag oxide after inserting a spring of resistance wire?

I've never looked into what's actually inside them; I suppose it's
possible that they can scrimp on material used in the outer layer and thus
make manufacturing cheaper, but maybe It Doesn't Work Like That*.

* that should really be a usenet acronym, particularly for this group

Mineral insulated cable is made in a larger size than is used,
and then pressure rolled to shrink it down to the sizes required.
(That's why it still works if you hammer it quite flat -- the
conductors and mineral insulation all compress in the same
proportion, and you have to go a long way before it shorts out.)

I'm not so sure how heating elements are made. If it really is
a spiral conductor, I imagine it's going to be harder to make
than mineral insulated cable. They're also only relatively
short lengths with ends made off, and so may be more bespoke.

--
Andrew Gabriel