Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with Central Heating / Boiler Cutting Out

Hi everyone

My central heating system is playing up and I plan on calling an
engineer on Monday morning unless it turns out to be something i can
sort myself.

I have a closed central heating system. When my boiler turned on this
morning, it started making some strange clicking and banging noises
then cut out - doesn't sound good!

Firstly, I have had a problem for a while now where if I put on the
hot water only, it overheats and cuts out. If I put on only the
central heating, or both, then it works fine. It's been suggested
that I need a new mid position valve, but I have never bothered
figuring it out, I just keep both the HW and CH on.

Whether these two problems are related, I have no idea! There are two
pipes going to/from boiler. After turning the boiler on for ten
seconds, one was roasting hot, while the other was cold. I figured
maybe there was an airlock in the boiler. I tried bleeding from the
uppermost point, right next to the boiler, with the boiler turned on.
I ended up alternating the boiler off and on, all this time, with air
coming out of the bleeding point. The boiler had to be turned off
every 5 seconds or so, because the noises started and the pressure
gauge (on pipework above boiler) increased from 1 to about 2.5 bar. I
waited till the pressure had settled back to 1 each time before
turning the boiler on again.

Long story short, the boiler keeps making these noises and bleeding
the system doesn't seem to work.

Does anybody have any suggestions or should I just wait till Monday
and get the professionals in?

Many thanks, Miguel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Miguel Sasso wrote:

[...]

I'm struggling to to produce a diagnosis which exactly fits this rather
strange set of symptoms, but my first port of call would be the pump - since
it's almost certain that the water isn't circulating properly.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Miguel Sasso writes
Hi everyone

My central heating system is playing up and I plan on calling an
engineer on Monday morning unless it turns out to be something i can
sort myself.

.... ...

Long story short, the boiler keeps making these noises and bleeding
the system doesn't seem to work.

Does anybody have any suggestions or should I just wait till Monday
and get the professionals in?

Sounds like your heat exchanger needs descaling (or replacing)

--
geoff