DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   varnishing bricks??? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/284363-varnishing-bricks.html)

eden August 11th 09 06:38 PM

varnishing bricks???

I bought a load of victorian reclaimed bricks dead cheap to create a
cottagey brick path and have been cleaning the mortar off with a wire
brush and water. The water really brings out the fab colours of the
bricks but they go back to dull when dry. Is there a varnish or
similar that I could use on them to retain the colours?

Cicero August 11th 09 08:03 PM

varnishing bricks???

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:38:18 -0700, eden wrote:

I bought a load of victorian reclaimed bricks dead cheap to create a
cottagey brick path and have been cleaning the mortar off with a wire
brush and water. The water really brings out the fab colours of the bricks
but they go back to dull when dry. Is there a varnish or similar that I
could use on them to retain the colours?

Just a guess...

Patterned or 'imprinted' concrete drives have some kind of
glossy finish which might be adapted for your purpose. Look in Yellow
Pages for a local company who might be able to advise.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

The Medway Handyman August 11th 09 08:49 PM

varnishing bricks???

eden wrote:
I bought a load of victorian reclaimed bricks dead cheap to create a
cottagey brick path and have been cleaning the mortar off with a wire
brush and water. The water really brings out the fab colours of the
bricks but they go back to dull when dry. Is there a varnish or
similar that I could use on them to retain the colours?

I read that as 'Vanishing Bricks :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

tim..... August 11th 09 10:49 PM

varnishing bricks???

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
eden wrote:
I bought a load of victorian reclaimed bricks dead cheap to create a
cottagey brick path and have been cleaning the mortar off with a wire
brush and water. The water really brings out the fab colours of the
bricks but they go back to dull when dry. Is there a varnish or
similar that I could use on them to retain the colours?

I read that as 'Vanishing Bricks :-)

So did I. I thought we were going to get a tale of someone stealing them

tim

John Miller[_3_] August 12th 09 12:50 AM

varnishing bricks???

"eden" wrote in message
I bought a load of victorian reclaimed bricks dead cheap to create a
cottagey brick path and have been cleaning the mortar off with a wire
brush and water. The water really brings out the fab colours of the
bricks but they go back to dull when dry. Is there a varnish or
similar that I could use on them to retain the colours?

Doesn't the sealant for block drives and patios come in various types of
finish? I would imagine the satin finish would give you what you want.

John M