Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nipping shower mould in the bud

The grout on the new shower is already showing signs of black mould
spores. Since we have a chance to nip this in the bud, what would be the
best way of doing so?

Thanks,

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wibbled:

The grout on the new shower is already showing signs of black mould
spores. Since we have a chance to nip this in the bud, what would be the
best way of doing so?

Thanks,

Daniele

Bleach first - get it killed - it's not permanant - if mould likes your
shower, the spores are always going to be floating around - but I've found
bleach keeps it knocked back.

Is it the grout or silicone or something else that's sprouting the mould?

Are you a bit down on ventilation - places that can dry out periodically are
less attractive to black mould.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S writes:
D.M. Procida wibbled:

The grout on the new shower is already showing signs of black mould
spores. Since we have a chance to nip this in the bud, what would be the
best way of doing so?

Thanks,

Daniele

Bleach first - get it killed - it's not permanant - if mould likes your
shower, the spores are always going to be floating around - but I've found
bleach keeps it knocked back.

Is it the grout or silicone or something else that's sprouting the mould?

Grout won't grow mold, but it might have soap scum on it which is.
An old washing-up (or similar) brush will remove the soap scum.
(Probably easiest to do this whilst actually having a shower;-)
Use of liquid soap will stop the soap scum (although liquid soap
itself goes moldy, but hopefully it will wash off before that happens,
unlike the soap scum.) Alternatively, try one of the daily shower
sprays, which is a weak surfacant (detergent) and sometimes weak acid,
to help make the scum run off and/or dissolve before becoming encrusted.

Silicone will grow mold. You can buy it with anti fungal, but that
will get washed out of the surface after a while.

Bleach is good for making dirt invisible and will knock out living
things whilst it's in contact, but it's not a cleaner, so any effect
is going to be short lived as it hasn't changed the reason for the
mold, and long term it might damage other things.

Are you a bit down on ventilation - places that can dry out periodically are
less attractive to black mould.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

The grout on the new shower is already showing signs of black mould
spores. Since we have a chance to nip this in the bud, what would be the
best way of doing so?

Commercial mould cleaner preparations are a mixture of bleach and sodium
hydroxide. If you want to replicate one dissolve two teaspoons of sodium
hydroxide in 500ml of water ensure that it is throughly dissolved then
add 100ml of bleach. Always add sodium hydroxide to water never the
other way around.

You can apply the solution using a spray bottle, and it's a good idea to
wear goggles when you do to avoid accidental splashback into the eye.

Leave to soak in for about 20 minutes then wash off. You can scrub it
into the grout using an old toothbrush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
The grout on the new shower is already showing signs of black mould
spores. Since we have a chance to nip this in the bud, what would be the
best way of doing so?

Thanks,

Daniele

Having prattled on about my own bleach-based remedies in the past -
which do work - I bought some Dettox Antibacterial Mould & Mildew
Remover following a recommendation here and it really does work for me -
must be about 6 months from the last application and still looking good.
Smells horrible for a while though.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" andrew@a20 wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
Tim S writes:
D.M. Procida wibbled:

[...]

Best think I ever did was to stop using bar soap and to use only liquid
soap. Everything stays sparkling and shiny( Except me)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

The grout on the new shower is already showing signs of black mould
spores. Since we have a chance to nip this in the bud, what would be the
best way of doing so?

Bleach first - get it killed - it's not permanant - if mould likes your
shower, the spores are always going to be floating around - but I've found
bleach keeps it knocked back.

Is it the grout or silicone or something else that's sprouting the mould?

You're right to ask - in fact it's the flexible seal between the tiles
and the base of the shower, not the hard stuff between the tiles that
has sprouted the mould.

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-10, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Tim S writes:

Is it the grout or silicone or something else that's sprouting the mould?

Grout won't grow mold, but it might have soap scum on it which is.
An old washing-up (or similar) brush will remove the soap scum.
(Probably easiest to do this whilst actually having a shower;-)
Use of liquid soap will stop the soap scum (although liquid soap
itself goes moldy, but hopefully it will wash off before that happens,
unlike the soap scum.) Alternatively, try one of the daily shower
sprays, which is a weak surfacant (detergent) and sometimes weak acid,
to help make the scum run off and/or dissolve before becoming encrusted.

What causes grout to work loose?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk writes:

What causes grout to work loose?

Off the top of my head...

Tiles moving (maybe due to a crack in the wall behind moving).

Grout not mixed up or used correctly, or was too old when used.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:37:53 GMT, Rob
wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:
The grout on the new shower is already showing signs of black mould
spores. Since we have a chance to nip this in the bud, what would be the
best way of doing so?

Thanks,

Daniele

Having prattled on about my own bleach-based remedies in the past -
which do work - I bought some Dettox Antibacterial Mould & Mildew
Remover following a recommendation here and it really does work for me -
must be about 6 months from the last application and still looking good.
Smells horrible for a while though.

I use this and it works. It helps to keep the walls clean and dry and
the bathroom well ventilated.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

mould on roof dunno UK diy 5 February 21st 07 09:47 AM
Is mould inevitable on silicone in a shower? Sal UK diy 16 January 20th 07 02:49 AM
Mould on drywall Bill Reynolds Home Repair 8 April 17th 06 01:37 AM
Mould on OSB?? James Varty UK diy 1 January 16th 06 05:45 PM
Mould removal John UK diy 8 January 5th 06 12:08 AM