Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Up and over garage door - how do the wires run?

Got one with a wire between a concrete
block weight and two pulleys at the top
which somehow holds the door horizontal.
The left hand side had gone when we
bought the house, and now the right hand
side concrete block stays on the ground
when I raise the door. I can't find a diagram
or work out how the wire goes around the
pulleys to make the block keep the door
open. Can anyone help?
Cheers,
|FC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freecycle" wrote in message
Got one with a wire between a concrete
block weight and two pulleys at the top
which somehow holds the door horizontal.
The left hand side had gone when we
bought the house, and now the right hand
side concrete block stays on the ground
when I raise the door. I can't find a diagram
or work out how the wire goes around the
pulleys to make the block keep the door
open. Can anyone help?
Cheers,
|FC

Not exactly DIY but you can have 'up and over' garage doors serviced
relatively cheaply - we have several local firms here who will replace
wires, lubricate and adjust for not a lot of money (at least, it was 10
years since I had one done but it seemed reasonable at the time).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:20:49 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Not exactly DIY but you can have 'up and over' garage doors serviced
relatively cheaply - we have several local firms here who will replace
wires, lubricate and adjust for not a lot of money (at least, it was 10
years since I had one done but it seemed reasonable at the time).

I paid £35 to have a wire put back on. Think it would have been double
if the wire and cones etc needed replacing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Not exactly DIY but you can have 'up and over' garage doors serviced
relatively cheaply - we have several local firms here who will replace
wires, lubricate and adjust for not a lot of money (at least, it was 10
years since I had one done but it seemed reasonable at the time).

I paid £35 to have a wire put back on. Think it would have been double
if the wire and cones etc needed replacing.

Ones with weights rather than a spring are usually simpler. Cones are to
compensate for the changing weight effect as the door opens and the spring
tension alters.