Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default grommets for elec cct backing boxes

Open or closed grommets? Please, what is considered current or best
practice spec?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
Open or closed grommets? Please, what is considered current or best
practice spec?

Open generally - otherwise getting the cables through is a pain. All you
are seeking to do is protect the cable from damage from the sharp edges
of the box knockout - open does that and are cheaper and easier to
insert to boot.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
jim wrote:
Open or closed grommets? Please, what is considered current or best
practice spec?

Open are quicker to use. Although being softer can push out more easily.
Were you thinking of flame retardation?

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 6 Aug, 23:53, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *jim wrote:

Open or closed grommets? *Please, what is considered current or best
practice spec?

Open are quicker to use.

TFT

Although being softer can push out more easily.
Were you thinking of flame retardation?

It's in the back of my mind that I picked up (?2 or 3 years ago)
something about backing boxes needing to be completely sealed,
including cable entry holes.

Probably misunderstood.

Thanks for the responses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 23:35:27 -0700 (PDT), jim wrote:

It's in the back of my mind that I picked up (?2 or 3 years ago)
something about backing boxes needing to be completely sealed,
including cable entry holes.

As they are simply folded metal, "completely sealed" doesn't happen.
There are cracks along the corners. And the holes where the tabs for
the screws are pushed round. I'd fit a blind grommit to an open, but
unused hole though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Wood Plate for Mounting Elec Boxes on Masonry Buck Turgidson Home Repair 3 November 23rd 07 11:12 PM
15mm grommets? wallace UK diy 9 April 23rd 07 01:21 AM
source for Grommets Osprey UK diy 11 September 17th 06 11:00 PM
tap & die for electrical backing boxes jim_in_sussex UK diy 18 May 26th 06 12:21 PM
Ring Circuit - steel knockout boxes/grommets Perry Gunn UK diy 15 June 8th 05 11:03 AM