Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Archive search not working?

Anyone else found that searching the uk.d-i-y archive via Google
groups seems not to work any more?

Some searches for topics that've been covered a dozen times produce no
hits and others just one or two recent postings.

Is there any other means of searching the archive or are old posts
effectively inaccessible?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

Anyone else found that searching the uk.d-i-y archive via Google
groups seems not to work any more?

Google are the archive - not just the search mechanism these days (since
they acquired DejaNews a few years back).

The posts all seem to be there - but the searching can be hit and miss
at the moment.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/about?hl=en

lists stuff back to Dec 94 - sometimes it will link through to it, but
other times not.

Some searches for topics that've been covered a dozen times produce no
hits and others just one or two recent postings.

Sometimes when you get some hits, click the sort by date link - you then
get loads more...

Is there any other means of searching the archive or are old posts
effectively inaccessible?

If you have a direct link to them then they can often still be retrieved.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 July, 20:37, mike wrote:
Anyone else found that searching the uk.d-i-y archive via Google
groups seems not to work any more?

Some searches for topics that've been covered a dozen times produce no
hits and others just one or two recent postings.

You're right. I've tried several groups with the same result. It must
be broken. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 26, 6:37 am, mike wrote:
Anyone else found that searching the uk.d-i-y archive via Google
groups seems not to work any more?

http://groups.google.com/group/group...d02f269a7d20d#

Google Groups Help Forum

Discussions Groups Announcements and Alerts Some Google Groups
Not Being Indexed

June 11

Hello All,

Currently some Google Groups are not being indexed and thus new
content is not showing up in search results. We're aware of the issue
and hope to have it resolved shortly. Thanks for your patience.

The Google Groups Team
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies. Not just me, then...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 02:10:39 -0700, mike wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. Not just me, then...!

I think there was a point in time where anybody posting with the magic
voodoo to stop GG from archiving their post would also have the nice
side-effect of nuking any replies to that post, which can cause some big
'holes' in the archive for long threads.

I'm not sure if that's still the policy, or if Google just ditch the
specific post that the user's asked them not to retain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 28, 12:07 am, Jules
wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 02:10:39 -0700, mike wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Not just me, then...!

I think there was a point in time where anybody posting with the magic
voodoo to stop GG from archiving their post would also have the nice
side-effect of nuking any replies to that post, which can cause some big
'holes' in the archive for long threads.

I'm not sure if that's still the policy, or if Google just ditch the
specific post that the user's asked them not to retain.

By timing experiments I have established that they do not in fact
delete the posts that request noarchive, they keep them indefinitely
in case the authorities wish to see them. The net effect is that when
you search for such posts, there may be a long delay while it tries to
get together enough posts to show you.

here´s the archive you requested Scratch Ankle Woodturning 0 April 16th 06 02:10 PM
Why not archive? tom Home Repair 4 June 4th 05 11:58 PM
Archive Matthew Woodworking 3 December 22nd 04 05:26 PM