Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiant ceiling heater for bathroom?

Recommendations anyone for a radiant ceiling heater for a small
bathroom?

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian writes:
Recommendations anyone for a radiant ceiling heater for a small
bathroom?

I prefer downflow fan heaters, which I've fitted in all bathrooms
I've had. Whilst the original 25 year old Dimplex one is still working
fine, it seems to be impossible to buy ones which last longer than 2-3
years nowadays.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 July, 09:24, Ian wrote:
Recommendations anyone for a radiant ceiling heater for a small
bathroom?

--
Ian

http://www.spcoils.co.uk/Products/Ra...anelsMain.html

Our school has these in most areas of the school, they don't run on
electricity an are connected to the boilers.

Pretty good, and they warm all the tables, chairs, objects etc which
everyone finds nice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
On 19 July, 09:24, Ian wrote:
Recommendations anyone for a radiant ceiling heater for a small
bathroom?

Some here
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...nit/index.html

The bottom one looks like a PAT test failure to me.
It looks like a silica glass tube encased heating element (at
least, the 1960's version my grandfather had was), which counts
as a live part for PAT test purposes, and the grill doesn't look
like it provides IP2X protection (fingers can't touch live parts).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
On 19 July, 19:23, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...at_and_Light_U...

The bottom one looks like a PAT test failure to me.
It looks like a silica glass tube encased heating element (at
least, the 1960's version my grandfather had was), which counts
as a live part for PAT test purposes,

Yes. But it's not a portable appliance.

Doesn't only apply to portable appliances.
Proper name is In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment.
It's the tester which is the portable bit, which reflects that testing
should be carried out at the location of use of the appliance, rather
than appliances being brought to a testing location, which would prevent
some of the checks which should be carried out.

and the grill doesn't look
like it provides IP2X protection (fingers can't touch live parts).

It's CE marked so I presume it complies with all the required
standards,

;-)

I don't think there's a requirement that new appliances conform
to the Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of
Electrical Equipment. For example, most new domestic extension
leads fail because the conductors are too small for the cable
length, and there's no general expectation that appliances in
domestic use will be subject to In-Service Inspection and Testing.
However, some rented houses are, which is something you need to
bear in mind if you fit something which is going to fail a test.

but the manufacturer's instructions are very emphatic about
putting it out of reach - and of course putting out of reach isn't a
permissible means of safety in a domestic environment.

Indeed.

I had a look at Dimplex Studio wall-mount electric fires for
comparison, and their grille does look a lot more closely-gapped than
the ceiling heater.

But then what sort of ficko shoves their fingers into a ceiling-
mounted electric fire?

--
Andrew Gabriel