Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Massive increase in rent?

On Jul 17, 9:51*am, Rob wrote:
Sarah_Reygate wrote:
Hi,
Recently ive been given notice that my rent will increase from 750 to
1650 per month. Im totally shocked at this especially given that I
recently signed a 6 month shorthold tenacy agreement for the same 750
pounds. My previous living situation was at the same house for many
years with my flatmate but in fact I was not on the lease. My flatmate
who was on the previous leases has decided to move on so now we are
jointly on the current one with the view for me to go on the next one
myself. It will be at the end of our current tenacy I would have to pay
the increases.

To be fair this would bring the rental up to the same levels of similar
houses but its the fact ive lived here for many years, with no previous
notice that the rent would shoot up so massively that troubles me.
Is this legal? I heard that you can only put rents up in increment
amounts and in fact there is a law to prevent landlords from jacking
the rent so much. Also that rentals have some relationship with the
index of retail prices? Is this true?
Much appreciated,
Sarah Reygate.

You are being asked to agree to the new rent, and if you agree, pay it
(obviously!). The fact there's a huge jump is a product of poor
management - there's no requirement to link rent to inflation, or
restrict increases. A possible exception applies to social rented homes*
- but that's not law. it's regulation, and unlikely to apply to ASTs.

If you don't want to pay the increase, you might want to appeal to the
Rent Assessment Ctee. However, such appeals are tricky, especially as
you appear to be asked to pay a 'fair' market rent. Also, annoying the
landlord may mean they'll be looking for a new tenant - AST security of
tenure is not high.

I'd suggest going to the CAB if you want to challenge the rent.

IANAL Rob

* talk of social (Housing Associations) rents actually going down next year.

I dont see how the CAB could help. There are limited options:
1. accept the new rent
2. move out
3. try to negotiate with the landlord, which usually fails
4. Get the place fair rented - but it sounds like you'll then pay a
lot more than now anyway, and it may be higher than the lndlord's new
figure.

You seem to want to have something that simply isnt available to you.
You cant.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

[snip]

You seem to want to have something that simply isnt available to you.
You cant.

I think you've accidentally sent this to the wrong ng: this is a
uk.legal.moderated thread!