Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody hell it's hot

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Partner uses a wine bottle cooler (one of those things that have gel
pouches that you freeze) to keep her feet bearable.

We both wear bamboo socks - without doubt cooler to wear than any other
textile we have encountered.

But a/c below the belt is *really* appealing at the moment...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Stop wingeing

--
bumsnase
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wibbled:

In message , Tim S
writes
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Stop wingeing

No! It's my time of the month. Come here and I'll donk you with my
handbag...

BTW - what's "bumsnase"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
geoff wibbled:

In message , Tim S
writes
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Stop wingeing

No! It's my time of the month. Come here and I'll donk you with my
handbag...

BTW - what's "bumsnase"?

****nose

.... literally

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tim S
writes
geoff wibbled:

In message , Tim S
writes
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Stop wingeing

No! It's my time of the month. Come here and I'll donk you with my
handbag...

BTW - what's "bumsnase"?

****nose

... literally

Fantastic Maxie! Fantastic!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tim S
writes

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Stop wingeing

Maxie, as usual you hit the nail on the head. Fantastic!! Such insight.
It isn't hot as all. It is just nice. It cools at night and if they left
the windows open and the house cooled off, the fabric would absorb the heat
during the day. I bet none use blinds and know how to use them. Leaving an
extractor fan on during the cool night helps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Tim S wrote:

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

Bit more than that here at present. 31C in through lounge (north/south) with
patio door open and windows open at the other end. Usually the coldest room
in the house, (t'other side is outside east facing).

The last time I recall this being a serious pain was coming back from
Hangzhou (where I was sleeping in an A/C hotel room) in July 06 when I could
not even try to get to sleep until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:

The last time I recall this being a serious pain was coming back from
Hangzhou (where I was sleeping in an A/C hotel room) in July 06 when I could
not even try to get to sleep until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Before we started on the building work in Italy, the only place to sleep
was on the top floor, with an uninsulated clay tile roof overhead. Even
with the windows open all night, temperature in the bedroom could exceed
45C. Sleep was impossible and I used to drive around in the 4x4 with
aircon on full just to get down to a reasonable body temperature.

Fortunately the new barn has a massive concrete slab floor and very
thick thermal block walls so we sleep in the "summer kitchen" when
temperatures get up to 30C+.

I envy my neighbour who has a Masseria which is made with walls as thick
as a castle. It's cool and comfortable in summer and warm in winter with
only an open fire as a heat source.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Clot wrote:

The last time I recall this being a serious pain was coming back from
Hangzhou (where I was sleeping in an A/C hotel room) in July 06 when
I could not even try to get to sleep until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Before we started on the building work in Italy, the only place to
sleep was on the top floor, with an uninsulated clay tile roof
overhead. Even with the windows open all night, temperature in the
bedroom could exceed 45C. Sleep was impossible and I used to drive
around in the 4x4 with aircon on full just to get down to a
reasonable body temperature.

You inconsiderate person generating more heat that I am suffering from! As I
type, next to the N facing window which is open having closed the patio
door, here is a wonderous cool draught coming through the window and up the
chimney. I am refreshed, but oh hell will that stop me gettting to sleep?

Nos da!

Fortunately the new barn has a massive concrete slab floor and very
thick thermal block walls so we sleep in the "summer kitchen" when
temperatures get up to 30C+.

I envy my neighbour who has a Masseria which is made with walls as
thick as a castle. It's cool and comfortable in summer and warm in
winter with only an open fire as a heat source.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 01:00:04 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:
Before we started on the building work in Italy, the only place to sleep
was on the top floor, with an uninsulated clay tile roof overhead. Even
with the windows open all night, temperature in the bedroom could exceed
45C. Sleep was impossible and I used to drive around in the 4x4 with
aircon on full just to get down to a reasonable body temperature.

I remember it being like that in the middle of Oz, too. Same deal - I used
to just go and burn some fuel in the truck purely for the purpose of
running the aircon. I was backpacking at first, but lugging camping crap
around on foot in those sorts of temps gets old fast :-) (it often cooled
off by evening, so sleeping in a tent wasn't so bad - it was hot, but
not a patch on the mid-afternoon heat)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 00:39:25 +0100, Clot wrote:

Bit more than that here at present. 31C in through lounge (north/south)
with patio door open and windows open at the other end.

Why are you letting the heat in from outside? Close the windows draw
the curtains keep the heat out during the day. Open them at night if
it gets cool enough outside.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 00:39:25 +0100, Clot wrote:

Bit more than that here at present. 31C in through lounge
(north/south) with patio door open and windows open at the other end.

Why are you letting the heat in from outside? Close the windows draw
the curtains keep the heat out during the day. Open them at night if
it gets cool enough outside.

It was 01.45 when I had the windows and curtains open!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 July, 00:39, "Clot" wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Tim S wrote:

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

Bit more than that here at present. 31C in through lounge (north/south) with
patio door open and windows open at the other end. Usually the coldest room
in the house, (t'other side is outside east facing).

The last time I recall this being a serious pain was coming back from
Hangzhou (where I was sleeping in an A/C hotel room) in July 06 when I could
not even try to get to sleep until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Highest temperature I've seen on CM927 which in the living room is
27C, patio doors open.

My attic room is 27.6C and will probably get up to 32C, window is
open, I would put the AC on but I'm not going to be in the room
anyway, so AC will come on at about 1800 and the room will be a
comfortable 23C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 10:44 am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

It's 20C inside my house. And it's the middle of winter here in New
Zealand.
Global warming has started! The sea doesn't look any higher.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

It's 20C inside my house. And it's the middle of winter here in New
Zealand.
Global warming has started! The sea doesn't look any higher.

That's because it's still at sea level.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Tim S wrote:

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

You only need one brick thick and the heat penetrates only about 4" during
the day and then moves back the other way as it cools during the night.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

You only need one brick thick and the heat penetrates only about 4" during
the day and then moves back the other way as it cools during the night.

sarcasm
Yes of course you do Drivel. In Drivelland where the sky is lemon yellow
with pink polka-dots and the trees are blue.
/sarcasm

That explains why my home stays a a reasonale temperature without air
conditioning all year round, whereas people in single brick skin boxes
sweat and freeze and curse, despite several inches of insulation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...
Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

You only need one brick thick and the heat penetrates only about 4" during
the day and then moves back the other way as it cools during the night.

sarcasm
Yes of course you do Drivel. In Drivelland where the sky is lemon yellow
with pink polka-dots and the trees are blue.
/sarcasm

That explains why my home stays a a reasonale temperature without air
conditioning all year round, whereas people in single brick skin boxes
sweat and freeze and curse, despite several inches of insulation.

The key is mass inside the house insulation..

Yesterday the hall temperature was 23C or so.

Which is about the median between night and day.

It takes several days for this house to adjust its temperature without
assistance.

And at least its not totally humid. Not like the tropics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote on Jul 3, 2009:

And at least its not totally humid. Not like the tropics.

Ah yes, "the tropics" - terribly hot and humid, what?

Actually Nairobi, not far south of the equator, is experiencing maximum
temperatures of around 25 C at the moment, and minima 13, with humidity
averaging around 55%. Rather cooler than London of late.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

You only need one brick thick and the heat penetrates only about 4"
during
the day and then moves back the other way as it cools during the night.

Yes of course you

See The Whole House Book.

You need tagging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool
verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are
between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks
thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

You only need one brick thick and the heat penetrates only about 4"
during
the day and then moves back the other way as it cools during the night.

Yes of course you

See The Whole House Book.

You need tagging.

You need gagging.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Apparently it was so hot yesterday that gentlemen at the Henley regatta were
given permission to remove thier jackets!

Ceiling fans in every room are the way forward.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 July, 08:23, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Apparently it was so hot yesterday that gentlemen at the Henley regatta were
given permission to remove thier jackets!

Ceiling fans in every room are the way forward.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Edinburgh shown as the hottest place in the UK according to this

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/..._extremes.html

and it was seriously hot. Considering the east coast regularly
suffers from the east coast haar under these type of weather
conditions, such heat is pretty unusual round here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Apparently it was so hot yesterday that gentlemen at the Henley regatta were
given permission to remove thier jackets!

Ceiling fans in every room are the way forward.

At night, our house cools off quickly downstairs, but upstairs holds
the heat since the air is trapped. A great big fan sucking air out of
the ceiling and roof would sort that problem very easily.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon writes:
At night, our house cools off quickly downstairs, but upstairs holds
the heat since the air is trapped. A great big fan sucking air out of
the ceiling and roof would sort that problem very easily.

I made up a second loft hatch with a 10" (IIRC) Xpelair fan mounted on
it, which gets installed during the summer. It switches on when loft
goes above 25C.

Original intention was to prevent loft baking as there is some low
power electronics in there, but I suspect it only makes a few C
difference to the loft temperature. It would help with better high
loft vents too, although the felt does have gaps at the overlaps.
It does help cooling the upstairs though, when there's absolutely no
breeze outside.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Apparently it was so hot yesterday that gentlemen at the Henley regatta
were given permission to remove thier jackets!

Ceiling fans in every room are the way forward.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Like hell it is.

I am having aircon fitted.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

om...

Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Apparently it was so hot yesterday that gentlemen at the Henley regatta
were given permission to remove thier jackets!

Ceiling fans in every room are the way forward.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Like hell it is.

I am having aircon fitted.

Adam

Lose weight. It is easier and quicker that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

Apparently it was so hot yesterday that gentlemen at the Henley regatta
were given permission to remove thier jackets!

Ceiling fans in every room are the way forward.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Like hell it is.

I am having aircon fitted.

Adam

Lose weight. It is easier and quicker that way.

It probably is not easier or quicker than losing weight.

But as I am not a fat ******* I would not know.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 10:37*pm, Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

I'm certainly glad I put my cooling system in. Its delivering the
highest temp I've ever seen this summer, but the end result is a huge
improvement on the temps I used to suffer through, and its acceptable.
Must get the wiki article on it finished some time, but it needs some
pretty major editing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wibbled:

On Jul 2, 10:37*pm, Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

I'm certainly glad I put my cooling system in. Its delivering the
highest temp I've ever seen this summer, but the end result is a huge
improvement on the temps I used to suffer through, and its acceptable.
Must get the wiki article on it finished some time, but it needs some
pretty major editing.

NT

On an aside to your cooling system - I was wondering - say if one happened
to be digging with a digger in the garden for other reasons down into wet
clay 0.6m below the surface:

Could a few runs of cheap drain pipe down at that level be used to provide a
source of cool air to select locations in the house?

There are a few unaddressed problems to solve like how to vent air into the
pipe without it getting full of bugs and trying to prevent standing water
lying in the pipe which would probably be bad for health.

But as a wacky off the wall idea - merits - or not?

Or as a variant - lay a grid of water pipe to use as a chilled water source.
The obvious problem here is that even if one gets water at around 10C
(guess) you have to then convert it into a source of cool air (car
radiator?).

It's probably stupid - but sometimes interesting things come from the seeds
of insanity ;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Could a few runs of cheap drain pipe down at that level be used to provide a
source of cool air to select locations in the house?

could be...

There are a few unaddressed problems to solve like how to vent air into the
pipe without it getting full of bugs and trying to prevent standing water
lying in the pipe which would probably be bad for health.

A variation on the heat recover ventilation idea perhaps - don't use the
air in the house directly but use it to cool house (or external -
whichever is cooler) air via a cross flow heat exchanger.

Or as a variant - lay a grid of water pipe to use as a chilled water source.
The obvious problem here is that even if one gets water at around 10C
(guess) you have to then convert it into a source of cool air (car
radiator?).

What you have described is basically a ground source heat pump of sorts
(or in this case - ground sink)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 12:22*pm, Tim S wrote:
NT wibbled:

On Jul 2, 10:37*pm, Tim S wrote:
[...]

These sort of sytems are in use, so it can work. For whole house
cooling a whole lot of pipe is needed, but if you only want to knock
5C off one room of course far less is required.

Condensation in the pipe is generally addressed with drainage, I'm not
convinced that would rule out mould though. Water pipe has 2
advantages: as well as eliminating mould it also has some coolth
storage effect, so additional coolth is getting stored in the water
before the system gets switched on each time. The fatter the pipe, the
more conctact area with the soil and the more coolth storage.

A car rad & fan sounds good, you may want to run the fan at less than
12v though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:
NT wibbled:

On Jul 2, 10:37 pm, Tim S wrote:
[...]

Have a look he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windcatcher

They sound pretty effective in drier areas.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
.. .
NT wibbled:

On Jul 2, 10:37 pm, Tim S wrote:
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

I'm certainly glad I put my cooling system in. Its delivering the
highest temp I've ever seen this summer, but the end result is a huge
improvement on the temps I used to suffer through, and its acceptable.
Must get the wiki article on it finished some time, but it needs some
pretty major editing.

On an aside to your cooling system - I was wondering - say if one happened
to be digging with a digger in the garden for other reasons down into wet
clay 0.6m below the surface:

Using earth pipes with an air Heat Recovery and Vent system, the earth pipe
is usually connected to the heat exchanger raising the outside temperature,
or cooling it. The heat exchanger transfers heat from extracted air into the
pre-heat/pre-cooled earth tube air.

The worry is mould and condensation in the earth pipe. A solution is to have
the air from the earth pipe recirculating through the heat exchanger - this
air does not enter the house. The air in the house passes over the heat
exchanger and takes in 10 to 50% fresh air with 90% re-circulated. Why have
100% fresh air intake as normal Heat recovery/cooling systems? Still only
one heat exchanger but maybe two fans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
.. .
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

I just booked Cernterparcs and have been relaxing in the pools. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wibbled:

"Tim S" wrote in message
.. .
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

I just booked Cernterparcs and have been relaxing in the pools. 8-)

I love CP, no - the kids do, I only go for them *cough*...

The best one I found was Erpeheide in Belgium - which one are you at?

Can't get me out of those tube slides
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 14:55:31 +0100, Tim S had this to
say:

dennis@home wibbled:

"Tim S" wrote in message
.. .
DIY aircon underpants anyone?...

I just booked Cernterparcs and have been relaxing in the pools. 8-)

I love CP, no - the kids do, I only go for them *cough*...

The best one I found was Erpeheide in Belgium - which one are you at?

Can't get me out of those tube slides

What - you got stuck? :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wibbled:

Can't get me out of those tube slides

What - you got stuck? :-)

If I went this year, probably

Bloody B&Q again [email protected] UK diy 9 October 20th 06 09:24 AM
It's too bloody hot for tiling.... Dan delaMare-Lyon UK diy 17 July 3rd 06 01:47 PM
BLOODY ScrewFix [email protected] UK diy 64 February 25th 06 11:31 PM
Bloody Woodchip!!! John UK diy 21 April 11th 05 08:13 PM
Bloody Winds Simmmy Home Repair 2 January 8th 05 08:35 PM