Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Veneered solid door

Just seen some surprisingly well priced doors (80 quid ish) at the wood
merchant which are oak veneered onto solid hardwood (not oak).

The package instructions recommended microporous stain or paint, but not wax
or teak oil.

Why might that be?... I was looking at maybe finishing with Treatex which is
a wax/oil blend. But I could use a microporous finish - just wondered...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:24:36 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Just seen some surprisingly well priced doors (80 quid ish) at the wood
merchant which are oak veneered onto solid hardwood (not oak).

The package instructions recommended microporous stain or paint, but not
wax or teak oil.

Why might that be?... I was looking at maybe finishing with Treatex which
is a wax/oil blend. But I could use a microporous finish - just
wondered...

Cheers

Tim

Just a guess...

It's possible that oil and wax could penetrate the veneer so far that
they could reach the glue and degrade it.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:24:36 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Just seen some surprisingly well priced doors (80 quid ish) at the
wood merchant which are oak veneered onto solid hardwood (not oak).

The package instructions recommended microporous stain or paint, but
not wax or teak oil.

Why might that be?... I was looking at maybe finishing with Treatex
which is a wax/oil blend. But I could use a microporous finish - just
wondered...

Interesting stuff, not heard of it before. Treatex Hardwax Oil is
microporous according to http://www.treatex.co.uk/hardwaxoil.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero coughed up some electrons that declared:

Just a guess...

It's possible that oil and wax could penetrate the veneer so far that
they could reach the glue and degrade it.

Cic.

Ooh - that would be quite a serious issue... Sounds quite plausible too.

Cheers for the insight (even if it was a guess)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Cicero wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:24:36 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Just seen some surprisingly well priced doors (80 quid ish) at the
wood merchant which are oak veneered onto solid hardwood (not oak).

The package instructions recommended microporous stain or paint, but
not wax or teak oil.

Why might that be?... I was looking at maybe finishing with Treatex
which is a wax/oil blend. But I could use a microporous finish - just
wondered...

Interesting stuff, not heard of it before. Treatex Hardwax Oil is
microporous according to http://www.treatex.co.uk/hardwaxoil.html

The neighbour is a bit of a wood buff and he likes it - partly because
it's "natural" (he likes to be green) and partly that it didn't give him a
headache when he did a whole floor with it (lack of VOCs). He said it was
in fact quite unsmelly to work with.

It's rather going to be at the other end of the spectrum compared to
something like Rustins, but OTOH it's probably more amenable to recoating
and reconditioning...

Tim

Solid wood door (double door) MiamiCuse Home Repair 4 October 24th 08 07:34 PM
hinges on solid core door? Elias D Home Repair 11 April 13th 08 09:37 AM
Best way to repair a solid front door Brian Henderson Woodworking 27 March 6th 08 05:35 AM
solid core wood door ibsys Home Repair 3 September 2nd 06 02:33 AM
Cutting a solid core door Jerry Woodworking 7 September 4th 04 03:04 PM