Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lighting the patio

I had a PIR-controlled, mains-powered patio light fixed to the rear
wall of my house, about 10 feet from the ground, which eventually
failed. I have now removed the defunct light unit and poked the
insulated cable ends back into the metal conduit that runs down the
outside wall.

I would like the replacement unit not to be controlled by a PIR switch
(which keeps turning the light off!) but by an external weatherproof
switch. Ideally the light switch would be reachable from the ground,
but I suppose a cord-pull would do the trick. I do not really want to
add an additional weather-proof switch to the external wall.

The origin of the supply is the fused upstairs lighting ring main
located in the loft.

Nothing fancy needed - or solar powered!

Is there such a device on the market?

DJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:

So reading the requirements:

I would like the replacement [] to be controlled by
an external weatherproof switch.

snip

I do not really want to
add an additional weather-proof switch to the external wall.

You seem to have a dichotomy!

So stick your external waterproof switch where you do want it...

The origin of the supply is the fused upstairs lighting ring main
located in the loft.

You need a switch wire either from the point the light is fed from the
circuit in the loft, or from the light position itself.

Is there such a device on the market?

A simple outside switch would do:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GW26213.html

If you don't want to do any extra wiring, then you would need to look at
remote control switch gear - but this will be expensive.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David J" wrote in message
I had a PIR-controlled, mains-powered patio light fixed to the rear
wall of my house, about 10 feet from the ground, which eventually
failed. I have now removed the defunct light unit and poked the
insulated cable ends back into the metal conduit that runs down the
outside wall.

I would like the replacement unit not to be controlled by a PIR switch
(which keeps turning the light off!) but by an external weatherproof
switch. Ideally the light switch would be reachable from the ground,
but I suppose a cord-pull would do the trick. I do not really want to
add an additional weather-proof switch to the external wall.

The origin of the supply is the fused upstairs lighting ring main
located in the loft.

Nothing fancy needed - or solar powered!

Is there such a device on the market?

DJ

My outside floods are also fed from the lighting ring in the loft. I just
put in a switch drop to a point high up on a wall in the upstairs hall, so
the lights are switched on from inside the house ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:33:25 +0100 someone who may be "Arfa Daily"
wrote this:-

the lighting ring in the loft.

I suspect very strongly that you don't have a lighting ring circuit.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

the lighting ring in the loft.

I suspect very strongly that you don't have a lighting ring circuit.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Yeah, yeah. There always has to be one, doesn't there ? (Sloppily
considered) figure of speech. I knew what I meant. You knew what I meant.
The OP knew what I meant. Probably just about anybody else on here knew what
I meant. But just in case

" My outside floods are also fed from the upstairs lighting
circuit in the loft,

I just put in a switch drop to a point high up on a wall in the upstairs
hall, so
the lights are switched on from inside the house ... "

OK ? Happy now we're all clear on that ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:31:27 +0100 someone who may be "Arfa Daily"
wrote this:-

Yeah, yeah. There always has to be one, doesn't there ?

Yawn.

(Sloppily considered) figure of speech.

Possibly, but there was one poster here who claimed that his
lighting circuits were wired as rings. Can't be bothered to look up
who it was.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote this:-

the lighting ring in the loft.

I suspect very strongly that you don't have a lighting ring circuit.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Yeah, yeah. There always has to be one, doesn't there ? (Sloppily
considered) figure of speech. I knew what I meant.

True
You knew what I meant.

True
The OP knew what I meant.

True
Probably just about anybody else on here knew what I meant.

Possibly - a newbie reading might have assumed lighting circuits were meant
to be rings like the power circuit and worried unnecessarily. Of no
importance to the thread itself but you never know who's reading.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:09:33 +0100 someone who may be "Bob Mannix"
wrote this:-

Possibly - a newbie reading might have assumed lighting circuits were meant
to be rings like the power circuit and worried unnecessarily. Of no
importance to the thread itself but you never know who's reading.

That's what I wanted to say.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Yeah, yeah. There always has to be one, doesn't there ?

Yawn.

(Sloppily considered) figure of speech.

Possibly, but there was one poster here who claimed that his
lighting circuits were wired as rings. Can't be bothered to look up
who it was.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Yawn indeed. Go back to sleep, my friend ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
news

wrote this:-

the lighting ring in the loft.

I suspect very strongly that you don't have a lighting ring circuit.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Yeah, yeah. There always has to be one, doesn't there ? (Sloppily
considered) figure of speech. I knew what I meant.

True
You knew what I meant.

True
The OP knew what I meant.

True
Probably just about anybody else on here knew what I meant.

Possibly - a newbie reading might have assumed lighting circuits were
meant to be rings like the power circuit and worried unnecessarily. Of no
importance to the thread itself but you never know who's reading.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Ok Bob. Point taken. It just ****es me off when, on just about any group,
you try to make a useful comment or suggestion, and there's always someone
lurking in the background waiting to jump on some nit-picking point of
theory or grammar, and then when you address their (often obtuse) point,
they have to get arsey back (see "yawn" ... )

It's a sad world we live in, unfortunately full of sad people ... d;~}

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

the lighting ring in the loft.

I suspect very strongly that you don't have a lighting ring circuit.

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
*http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

LOL, reminds me of the IT guy from The Office:

Talking about Bruce Lee:
“You know when he's fighting Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon?”
“No?”
“You not seen that?”
“No?”
“Have you not, I can’t... that is a classic.”
“No, I’ve not seen him fight Chuck Norris in ENTER the Dragon, I’ve
seen him fight Chuck Norris in WAY OF the Dragon.”
“Ah, that’s what I meant, that's what I meant.”
“Is it? Why did you say have you seen him fight Chuck Norris in Enter
the Dragon? He fight’s Bob Wall in both, but Norris is only in Way of
the Dragon.”
“Yeah, I know, so when he’s fighting Chuck Norris-”
“In what?”
“In Way of the Dragon.”
“Correct. At last.”

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
wrote this:-

[...]

LOL !! Nice one ... !

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:21:53 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

David J wrote:

So reading the requirements:

I would like the replacement [] to be controlled by
an external weatherproof switch.

snip

I do not really want to
add an additional weather-proof switch to the external wall.

You seem to have a dichotomy!

So stick your external waterproof switch where you do want it...

The origin of the supply is the fused upstairs lighting ring main
located in the loft.

You need a switch wire either from the point the light is fed from the
circuit in the loft, or from the light position itself.

Is there such a device on the market?

A simple outside switch would do:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GW26213.html

If you don't want to do any extra wiring, then you would need to look at
remote control switch gear - but this will be expensive.

Thanks guys for all the comments.

Regarding the dichotomy, I could have made myelf slightly clearer
above. I was really looking for a light unit that incorporated a
weatherproof switch to be wall mounted.

Clearly the problem would then be that I wouldn't be able to reach the
switch. But I was wondering if any existed with a chain/cord pull
switch - rather like those used in a bathroom.

It looks like its a problem awaiting a solution...

DJ