Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Zanissi freezer not too cool!

Hi folks,

We have a Zanussi freezer about 20 years old - never any problem until now.
It just isn't freezing - still very cold (colder than the fridge) but not
nearly as cold as it should be. Is this the end of it's useful life or can
anything be done to bring it back to life? I can still hear the motor
running (fairly quietly) - it's been like this for about a couple of weeks
and doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. White goods engineers around
here charge something like £75 just to turn up - then time on job. If it's
likely to be terminal then it may not be worth fixing it at current new
prices. Anybody here knowledgeable in these things here?

Cheers,
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Neil" wrote in message
Hi folks,

We have a Zanussi freezer about 20 years old - never any problem until
now. It just isn't freezing - still very cold (colder than the fridge) but
not nearly as cold as it should be. Is this the end of it's useful life
or can anything be done to bring it back to life? I can still hear the
motor running (fairly quietly) - it's been like this for about a couple of
weeks and doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. White goods
engineers around here charge something like £75 just to turn up - then
time on job. If it's likely to be terminal then it may not be worth
fixing it at current new prices. Anybody here knowledgeable in these
things here?

Cheers,
Neil

Is it a Fridge / Freezer then?

Is it conventional - or an early "Frost Free"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
Hi folks,

We have a Zanussi freezer about 20 years old - never any problem until
now. It just isn't freezing - still very cold (colder than the fridge)
but not nearly as cold as it should be. Is this the end of it's useful
life or can anything be done to bring it back to life? I can still hear
the motor running (fairly quietly) - it's been like this for about a
couple of weeks and doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. White
goods engineers around here charge something like £75 just to turn up -
then time on job. If it's likely to be terminal then it may not be worth
fixing it at current new prices. Anybody here knowledgeable in these
things here?

Cheers,
Neil

Is it a Fridge / Freezer then?

Is it conventional - or an early "Frost Free"

John - it's a separate freezer - upright under worktop. We don't have the
manual for it and I can't even find a model number on it, but I don't think
it was a frost free as it used to gather frost around all sides (until
defrosted). Now the only frost I can see is on the roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 5:52*pm, "Neil" wrote:
"John" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

This covers the concepts, a standalone conventional freezer is much
like a fridge on this point
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Fridge

In short, if the compressor runs continuously then likely its lost
coolant, and isnt worth fixing unles its something quite special. If
it switches off at times it may be a thermostat problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 5:52 pm, "Neil" wrote:
"John" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Yea that sounds like it. Seems like it's got to be a new freezer then

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 8:22*pm, "Neil" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Jun 22, 5:52 pm, "Neil" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I wouldnt be too unhappy about it, the new one will eat far less
energy than the old did, and that'll add up well over its years of
service.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:29:11 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On Jun 23, 8:22*pm, "Neil" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Jun 22, 5:52 pm, "Neil" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Especially if you don't buy a frost free freezer.

--
(\__/) M.