Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's this bit for?

On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

After some recent bodging (sp?), I took it off and it appears to have
made 'no difference'. Thought I'd better make sure.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Devany" wrote in message
On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

It's a spare inlet cone (inside the main blue body). The valves usually
come with two one white (inside) and one red, one is for high pressure water
and the other for low pressure but I can never remember which is which!!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Devany coughed up some electrons that declared:

On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

After some recent bodging (sp?), I took it off and it appears to have
made 'no difference'. Thought I'd better make sure.

Thanks

Sure it's not a spare nozzel - high pressure vs low pressure?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Devany wrote:
On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

After some recent bodging (sp?), I took it off and it appears to have
made 'no difference'. Thought I'd better make sure.

Thanks

Its an alternative/spare nozzle. Either the ball valve has a low pressure
nozzle fitted & the red one is a high pressure, or t'other way around, can't
remember which. It goes behind the black rubber diaphragm. Its so you can
swap them over for differing water pressures - you don't need both.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:02:04 +0100, John wrote:

"Devany" wrote in message
On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

It's a spare inlet cone (inside the main blue body). The valves usually
come with two one white (inside) and one red, one is for high pressure water
and the other for low pressure but I can never remember which is which!!

HTH

John

The old-type ball cock had a much bigger hole for low-pressure feed. I
don't know about the modern things.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Devany" wrote in message
On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

The red is the low pressure nozzel.
The fitted white nozzel is for mains water pressure.
If your cistern is fed from the tank in the loft then replace the white one
with this.

After some recent bodging (sp?), I took it off and it appears to have
made 'no difference'. Thought I'd better make sure.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Devany" wrote in message
On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

It's a spare inlet cone (inside the main blue body). The valves usually
come with two one white (inside) and one red, one is for high pressure
water and the other for low pressure but I can never remember which is
which!!

they usually ship with the high pressure one fitted.. its better to have too
little flow than too much when someone doesn't swap the nozzle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

It's a spare inlet cone (inside the main blue body). The valves usually
come with two one white (inside) and one red, one is for high pressure water
and the other for low pressure but I can never remember which is which!!

The one with the little hole is for high pressure.

It's pushing harder, so it doesn't need such a big hole, if that'll help
you remember.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Devany
saying something like:

On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

After some recent bodging (sp?), I took it off and it appears to have
made 'no difference'. Thought I'd better make sure.

Thanks

That's a spare dooda, you'd better not lose that.

Actually, it's an alternative insert for low pressure feed. The red one
has a bigger 'ole than the white one which is already inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Devany wrote:
On the ball cock valve pictured he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88427/...rn-Ball-Valve#

http://tinyurl.com/my2rty

Can someone explain what the red bit is for?

After some recent bodging (sp?), I took it off and it appears to have
made 'no difference'. Thought I'd better make sure.

Thanks

Aha! a spare nozzle.

Brilliant, thanks for all the replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Champ
saying something like:

The one with the little hole is for high pressure.

It's pushing harder, so it doesn't need such a big hole, if that'll help
you remember.

Ooh, you are awful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 16, 10:03*am, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:
It's pushing harder, so it doesn't need such a big hole, if that'll help
you remember.

Ooh, you are awful. But don't stop!!!!!!

BTW: Note to OP. Don't lose that spare nozzle. It may save you, or
somebody, the purchasing of a whole new whatsit at 2.00 AM some dark
night during a long Bank Holiday weekend in year 2017! Or does stuff
last that long these days?
Good luck