Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quote to replace guttering?

Looking to replace the guttering at the back and front of a town house
in London. No angles - just straight run connecting to neighbouring
property one side to down pipe the other. 5m run each side.

Anyone have a ball park cost?

The alternative is to just get the two leaking joints fixed but I
figure this may cost just as much, especially as this is odd size 60s
guttering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Plastic, aluminium, cast iron?

Scaffolding/access tower required or can be done from ladders?

Easy accessible?

Parking ok?

For cast aluminium, 12m run each side, tall building, single downpipe
each side, in Norfolk, *with scaffolding already in place for roofing
work* - I think I paid £850 (IIRC - it was part of an overall roofing
bill)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

daddyf wrote:

Looking to replace the guttering at the back and front of a town house
in London. No angles - just straight run connecting to neighbouring
property one side to down pipe the other. 5m run each side.

Anyone have a ball park cost?

The alternative is to just get the two leaking joints fixed but I
figure this may cost just as much, especially as this is odd size 60s
guttering.

In Leicester, I'd charge around £200 for 10m of any type of plastic
guttering. It is easily done in a day by one person, infact, if it was
wooden fascias/soffits, then I'd probably include painting them at the
same time.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
daddyf wrote:

Looking to replace the guttering at the back and front of a town
house in London. No angles - just straight run connecting to
neighbouring property one side to down pipe the other. 5m run each
side.

Anyone have a ball park cost?

The alternative is to just get the two leaking joints fixed but I
figure this may cost just as much, especially as this is odd size 60s
guttering.

In Leicester, I'd charge around £200 for 10m of any type of plastic
guttering. It is easily done in a day by one person, infact, if it was
wooden fascias/soffits, then I'd probably include painting them at the
same time.

Do you do that from a ladder Alan? Or do you have a tower?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
daddyf wrote:

Looking to replace the guttering at the back and front of a town
house in London. No angles - just straight run connecting to
neighbouring property one side to down pipe the other. 5m run each
side.

Anyone have a ball park cost?

The alternative is to just get the two leaking joints fixed but I
figure this may cost just as much, especially as this is odd size 60s
guttering.

In Leicester, I'd charge around £200 for 10m of any type of plastic
guttering. It is easily done in a day by one person, infact, if it was
wooden fascias/soffits, then I'd probably include painting them at the
same time.
Alan.

Alan,

Does that include the scaffolding as required now by the HSE for working at
heights greater than around 2 metres off the ground (presuming of course you
run a business)?

And as for changing 10 metres of it in a day - well you are slow [1], even
if you *are* working off ladders - nice profit that. ;-)

[1] That's presuming that the fascia boards are OK - or if there are no
fascias, the rafter irons (brackets) will accept the new gutters.

Unbeliever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Unbeliever" wrote in message
A.Lee wrote:
daddyf wrote:

[...]

There is no such requirement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
daddyf wrote:

[...]

Idiot.

Alan is a one man band, so he can work off a ladder if he wants to. Its a
perfectly acceptable practise according to the HSE.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
daddyf wrote:
Looking to replace the guttering at the back and front of a town
house in London. No angles - just straight run connecting to
neighbouring property one side to down pipe the other. 5m run each
side.
Anyone have a ball park cost?

In Leicester, I'd charge around £200 for 10m of any type of plastic
guttering. It is easily done in a day by one person, infact, if it was
wooden fascias/soffits, then I'd probably include painting them at the
same time.

Do you do that from a ladder Alan? Or do you have a tower?

If plastic to plastic, then a ladder with the stand-off. If taking cast
iron off, then scaffold tower. Takes around 20 minutes to put it up.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Unbeliever" wrote:

A.Lee wrote:

In Leicester, I'd charge around £200 for 10m of any type of plastic
guttering. It is easily done in a day by one person, infact, if it was
wooden fascias/soffits, then I'd probably include painting them at the
same time.

Does that include the scaffolding as required now by the HSE for working at
heights greater than around 2 metres off the ground (presuming of course you
run a business)?

Do you believe everything you read in the Daily Mail? You can work at
any height you want without scaffolding. And yes, I am a legitimate
business, and pay taxes, follow regulations etc.

And as for changing 10 metres of it in a day - well you are slow [1], even
if you *are* working off ladders - nice profit that. ;-)

Actual profit, probably £100, if I charged £200. That is quite
reasonable in my opinion, even a little low.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , A.Lee
scribeth thus
"Unbeliever" wrote:

A.Lee wrote:

[...]

All in all then a 100 quid a day less all the others expense I presume
this includes materials?.

Not having bought guttering for some time but the price of Oil for
plastics I suppose isn't what it once was;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

In article , A.Lee:

Actual profit, probably £100, if I charged £200. That is quite
reasonable in my opinion, even a little low.

All in all then a 100 quid a day less all the others expense I presume
this includes materials?.

Not having bought guttering for some time but the price of Oil for
plastics I suppose isn't what it once was;!..

£50-60 I reckon for 10 metres and all the relevant fixings.
Time to visit to give the quote, time to fetch the guttering, £10 for
paint if it is wooden fascia (I always paint the fascia if changing the
gutter), £5 for brass screws (again, I'd rather do a quality job, so use
brass slotted screws for their corrosion resistance), probably £5
minimum for the 2 visits to customer, 1 to the gutter supplier, and one
to the tip to dump the rubbish. Straight overheads are coming out at
£80ish, add in depreciation of van and tools, then the profit, before
tax is around £100.
Then you have to guarantee it for at least a year - indeed, last week I
had a call from a customer whose gutter was leaking after 14months. I
went round next day, found it was not my fault, but rather the heavy
rain/hail had washed loads of moss into the gutter, blocking it, leading
to rain running over the top.
I didnt charge to clear it out.

£200 is very reasonable I think.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

In article , A.Lee:

[...]

Sounds far too cheap to me mate. I bet they would still bite at £250.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
Does that include the scaffolding as required now by the HSE for
working at heights greater than around 2 metres off the ground
(presuming of course you run a business)?

Do you believe everything you read in the Daily Mail? You can work at
any height you want without scaffolding.

Well, you can, but you'd have to comply with Schedule 6 of the Work at
Height Regulations 2005 which states:

1. Every employer SNIP

But Alan isn't asking an employee to go up a ladder, hes a one man band like
me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
o.uk...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
1. Every employer SNIP

But Alan isn't asking an employee to go up a ladder, hes a one man band
like me.

Then he, and you, are self-employed i.e. you are employed by yourself.

Irrelevant really as the definitions of short times, etc. in the "rules" are
not defined.
You can use a ladder if you think its safe and nothing goes wrong.
If you fall off then there may be a case to answer, if not there is no case
as it was an adequate solution.
You are far more likely to fall foul of the conditions in your insurance
than in the law.

guttering Stephen[_6_] UK diy 12 April 7th 09 08:34 PM
Guttering rburr49 UK diy 7 January 25th 08 03:36 PM
Guttering John UK diy 24 June 17th 04 08:14 AM
Box Guttering. mark b UK diy 2 May 6th 04 11:04 PM
Quote of guttering, soffits and facsia - sound right to you? Richard UK diy 3 September 13th 03 08:41 PM