Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default melamine-faced chipboard or mdf

Hello,

I am looking to box around a boiler. I was going to use melamine faced
chipboard, though I have read here of melamine faced mdf. No-one
locally has heard of the latter!

Regarding the chipboard variety, I need something 3' wide.
Unfortunately the "sheds" only sell up to 2'. I have asked the local
timber merchants: one does not do it at all and the other only goes up
to 2'.

Help! Where can I get it from or what do you recommend I do as an
alternative?

I have read here about people joining chipboard with those "white
blocks". Will that be sufficient? The blocks don't look very big to
me, or is it better to put a frame or some form of support underneath?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

I am looking to box around a boiler. I was going to use melamine faced
chipboard, though I have read here of melamine faced mdf. No-one
locally has heard of the latter!

Regarding the chipboard variety, I need something 3' wide.
Unfortunately the "sheds" only sell up to 2'. I have asked the local
timber merchants: one does not do it at all and the other only goes up
to 2'.

Help! Where can I get it from or what do you recommend I do as an
alternative?

I have read here about people joining chipboard with those "white
blocks". Will that be sufficient? The blocks don't look very big to
me, or is it better to put a frame or some form of support underneath?

Thanks.

Conti board?

http://www.conti.co.uk/range.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I am looking to box around a boiler. I was going to use melamine faced
chipboard, though I have read here of melamine faced mdf. No-one
locally has heard of the latter!

Regarding the chipboard variety, I need something 3' wide.
Unfortunately the "sheds" only sell up to 2'. I have asked the local
timber merchants: one does not do it at all and the other only goes up
to 2'.

Easy enough to get large sheets of melamine faced board - 6 x 4' is a
common size. Try a better timber merchant.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:02:23 +0100, Stephen wrote:

I am looking to box around a boiler.

I know it's now what you're asking but please check the boiler's
ventilation requirements before you do this.

In particular, if it's a conventional-flued boiler (chimney going
vertically out of the top) and you fully enclose the boiler you could
cause the boiler to produce carbon monoxide and kill you, or your family.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

My karma ran over my dogma
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jun 2009 23:30:11 GMT, YAPH wrote:

I know it's now what you're asking but please check the boiler's
ventilation requirements before you do this.

In particular, if it's a conventional-flued boiler (chimney going
vertically out of the top) and you fully enclose the boiler you could
cause the boiler to produce carbon monoxide and kill you, or your family.

Don't worry it is a balanced flue but since so many "banter" sites
seem to archive this group and pass it off as their own, it is an
important point for anyone reading these posts to consider before they
do the same in their home.

The old boiler had a conventional flue and was boxed but did have an
air brick behind and vents in the boxing. The new boiler could be left
visible but all the valves and pumps are at the side and they could do
with being hidden. I'm also nervous about anything falling onto the
capillary (oil fired boiler) and cutting off the fire valve, so it
would be nice to have that enclosed too.

It would be useful to have something across the top to act as a
"shelf" as extra space is always welcome in a kitchen. Despite being a
new boiler, the top is quite scratched. I did wonder whether a tin of
enamel paint as used for radiators would bring it back to life?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:21:33 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Conti board?

http://www.conti.co.uk/range.html

But it looks as though above 600mm, the only colour is white.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:21:33 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Conti board?

http://www.conti.co.uk/range.html

But it looks as though above 600mm, the only colour is white.

What finish did you want? This sort of stuff is sometimes called furniture
board and comes in a variety of finishes. But you'd probably have to get
it delivered.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:21:37 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Easy enough to get large sheets of melamine faced board - 6 x 4' is a
common size. Try a better timber merchant.

I found a better merchant and he can get some of the chipboard variety
in an oak finish, thanks.