Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shrinking a seal

I bought a VHF radio the other week for use in a boat. Unfortunately, on
its first outing it got bashed about to the extent that the battery clip
broke and the battery fell off and got flung around the bottom of the
boat for a while before I noticed. I normally take better care of
things, but it was a very bouncy day and I was having a hard enough job
staying in the boat myself. Despite the newness of the radio I don't
think it's worth going back to the supplier - it was a budget range and
the treatment it got probably exceeds fair wear and tear.

I'll be improvising some form of replacement clip, but I'm having
difficulty with the thin rubber seal that goes round the battery and
makes the radio watertight (supposed to be good 1m underwater for 30
minutes). It seems to have somehow stretched, so that when I put it back
into its groove there's always a little bulge of extra seal with nowhere
to put it.

Is there some cunning dodge to shrink this kind of seal slightly so that
it's a tight fit again? Failing that, is there any kind of thin glue
that's safe on this kind of rubber, so that if I ever do get it all in
place I can keep it there?

Cheers,

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:
[...]

The trick is not to feed the seal in from a single point as the
widthwise squeezing pressure makes the seal longer. Put it in at one
point and then another halfway round then in the middle of the two
points and so on. It should all go back in then.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:
[...]

Th trick is to starve the seal completely, then beat its brains out with
a club, and gut it.

That way you get a very thin seal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Pete Verdon
d scribeth thus
[...]

What make is it?....
--
Tony Sayer

Shrinking Fence Dave UK diy 3 May 27th 09 08:35 AM
Shrinking shingles [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 21st 08 02:29 PM
Shrinking a warp out of a casting? willray Metalworking 18 September 10th 08 03:17 AM
Mitsubishi CS2566R TV - top shrinking P.Schuman Electronics Repair 3 March 18th 07 05:34 PM
Amazing Shrinking Doorway! Mike Dobony Home Repair 20 February 28th 07 02:24 AM