Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tile Edging ...

I'm refitting my bathroom, and am currently doing the tiling. I have bought
some of that 'quadrant' edging strip that has a wide straight edge to go
under a tile, to handle the right angles on external corners at the window
recess, and on one other vertical edge that goes from floor to ceiling. I've
never actually used this stuff before, and I can't make up my mind whether
it gives a neater finish if the 'fixing' edge is secured under the tiles
which face into the window, and the tiles on the wall are then taken up to
the quadrant, or the other way about. Or does it even make a difference ?
What is the convention on this. Also, on the tile that butts up to the
quadrant, is it usual to come right up against the strip, or to leave a
normal sized grouting gap ? Hope that makes sense ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I'm refitting my bathroom, and am currently doing the tiling. I have
bought some of that 'quadrant' edging strip that has a wide straight
edge to go under a tile, to handle the right angles on external corners
at the window recess, and on one other vertical edge that goes from
floor to ceiling. I've never actually used this stuff before, and I
can't make up my mind whether it gives a neater finish if the 'fixing'
edge is secured under the tiles which face into the window, and the
tiles on the wall are then taken up to the quadrant,

That's the way I do it. Looks better to me - but makes cutting the mitres
more tricky. I used the polished ally stuff as none of the plastic ones
were close enough colour wise to my tiles. It's very expensive but does
look good.

or the other way
about. Or does it even make a difference ? What is the convention on
this. Also, on the tile that butts up to the quadrant, is it usual to
come right up against the strip, or to leave a normal sized grouting
gap ? Hope that makes sense ... :-)

The same gap as between the tiles, IMHO.

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 June, 09:41, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Also, don't try and butt the mitres up against each other, leave a gap
and grout it. Makes the plastic quadrant look more tile-like, is
easier to fit, and avoids horrible tiny recesses that cannot be
cleaned.
Make sure the grout is pushed right into the "open" side of the
quadrant. I've seen many jobs where a thin floating layer of grout in
the quadrant open side is cracking and falling out.
HTH,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
I'm refitting my bathroom, and am currently doing the tiling. I have bought
some of that 'quadrant' edging strip that has a wide straight edge to go
under a tile, to handle the right angles on external corners at the window
recess, and on one other vertical edge that goes from floor to ceiling. I've
never actually used this stuff before, and I can't make up my mind whether
it gives a neater finish if the 'fixing' edge is secured under the tiles
which face into the window, and the tiles on the wall are then taken up to
the quadrant, or the other way about. Or does it even make a difference ?

Having had the same dilemma myself, I think I've come to the conclusion
that it makes no difference. Put it this way, looking at my finished
bathroom windowsill I can't tell which way I did it (and can't remember
either!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Having had the same dilemma myself, I think I've come to the conclusion
that it makes no difference. Put it this way, looking at my finished
bathroom windowsill I can't tell which way I did it (and can't remember
either!)

The stuff I've used isn't a perfect quadrant so you can tell if you look
closely. But IIRC there are different types of this edging depending on
tile thickness - and mine is for the thicker ones. The stuff for
'ordinary' wall tiles might be better.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have the polished ally as well, but actually very cheap from a local
tile supplier that I have just discovered, as were the tiles themselves,
which are big mothers (2' x 1') and his gigantic tubs of tile cement, which
is the best I've ever used.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Understood, and good advice Simon. Thanks.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the input ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Having had the same dilemma myself, I think I've come to the conclusion
that it makes no difference. Put it this way, looking at my finished
bathroom windowsill I can't tell which way I did it (and can't remember
either!)

The stuff I've used isn't a perfect quadrant so you can tell if you look
closely. But IIRC there are different types of this edging depending on
tile thickness - and mine is for the thicker ones. The stuff for
'ordinary' wall tiles might be better.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Yes, likewise. These tiles are 10mm thick. They are a killer to get up the
stairs from the car at 26kg for a pack of 8 ! They are actually made in
China by the looks of it, and the quality is nothing short of superb. So
far, I haven't had a single one come out of the box chipped or damaged in
any way. The only thing separating them in the box, is a thin piece of
expanded polystyrene 'paper'. Considering the price that he is doing the
'plain' polished limestone (effect) tile for (£15.99 / sq m), it makes you
wonder how they can make them, ship them that vast distance, import them,
wholesale them and finally retail them, and still all make a profit !

In case anyone has a local branch, the outfit is called Al Murad, and based
on my experience, I would recommend them to anyone. Very helpful and
knowledgable, and very efficient at getting stuff in for you. Huge range of
catalogues, and they can get you pretty much anything you might want from
them.

Arfa

Edging strip billy1 UK diy 3 June 27th 07 08:16 AM
Edging on an arch ? PhilJ UK diy 5 September 24th 06 06:35 PM
Edging soup UK diy 2 September 23rd 06 09:39 PM
edging Ed D Ball UK diy 4 May 8th 06 02:06 AM
Chrome tile edging strip. Dave Plowman UK diy 1 July 13th 03 11:55 AM