Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tricity Bendix Washer Dryer timer problem

Hi all,

My parents have the above washing machine, model number WR540. Problem
is that it does not advance through the cycle at any point regardless
of the programme selected.

For instance,

1. If a standard wash cycle is selected, the machine will fill with
water correctly, but not go any further.

2. If a spin cycle is selected, the machine will drain and then spin,
but spin forever.

3. If a rinse cycle is selected, the machine will behave as for a wash
- fill up but go no further.

The machine is controlled by what I believe is an electromechanical
timer in that the selector dial on the front of the machine sweeps
slowly round the cycle as it progresses through the wash.

For further info, apparently (bearing in mind I am not able to
experiment myself) it is not possible to get the machine to agitate
the clothes in the normal way, even if the knob is budged on through
the cycle.

The question is, am I barking up the right tree by suggesting these
symptoms indicate a timer failure?

If so what are the odds of repairing or replacing bearing in mind it's
a 1994 vintage? Both my dad and I are of the repair not replace
persuasion.

Thanks in advance

Luke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Luke
writes
[...]

Has a cog lost a tooth in the gearbox in the controller ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 11:28 pm, Luke wrote:

The question is, am I barking up the right tree by suggesting these
symptoms indicate a timer failure?

The timer motor should make a slight noise when it is going.
When one of the other functions has completed the timer motor should
start.
Check all the connections - unplug and replug them (unplug the power
cord first).