Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q

B&Q will make its debut in the furniture market. £18m investment will take
the retailer head to head with the likes of Argos and Ikea.

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12339

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
B&Q will make its debut in the furniture market. £18m investment will take
the retailer head to head with the likes of Argos and Ikea.

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12339

It will only be cheap Chinese crap, as usual.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
B&Q will make its debut in the furniture market. £18m investment will
take the retailer head to head with the likes of Argos and Ikea.

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12339

It will only be cheap Chinese crap, as usual.

Dave

It will probably be from MFIs old suppliers. You know three pieces where you
are supposed to have one and one where you are supposed to have three.
Ah bitter memories!
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
B&Q will make its debut in the furniture market. £18m investment will
take the retailer head to head with the likes of Argos and Ikea.

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12339

It will only be cheap Chinese crap, as usual.

Dave

I view that as a big mistake. Unless B&Q expand their floor area (unlikley,
they had to shrink T Wells branch couple of years back, by about 30%) all
this will do is loose their core range (actually I find them quite useful
for proper materials these days) and waste space trying to become like
Homebase.

You don't see Ikea selling power tools to put up their shelves - they have
a plan and they stick with it.

As for Argos - no-one is going to be able to compete with them. Index was
established and just s good IMO, but they died.

They'll go the way of Woolworths by loosing their clue and leave Screwfix
selling the tools. Unless that's the plan. But there aren't really enough
Screwfix branches to fill the void.

Someone's been on the crack again. Seems to be a common British Managment
problem.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Mind in High Wycombe B&Q increased their floor area by, I'd guess,
around 80% a year or two back. Added a mezzanine, which is now mostly
lighting and kitchen displays.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod coughed up some electrons that declared:

Mind in High Wycombe B&Q increased their floor area by, I'd guess,
around 80% a year or two back. Added a mezzanine, which is now mostly
lighting and kitchen displays.

The problem here is possibly that there's a Homebase, B&Q and Wickes
virtually in a line down 1/2 mile of road, a Jewsons behind Homebase and a
Travis Perkins spit down the road just past the Screwfix depot.

Plus uncountable tile shops (though after a new one opened right next to
Topps, another opposite went splat), a proper trade tool outlet, a mega
Argos, "Next" for the missus and a MacDonalds to boost your energy trailing
round that lot. Oh and of course a Halfords and an Allied Carpets, next to
the dead MFI place, with Comet, Curries and PC World next to each other.

It's a great place to go for stuff and none of the parking hassles of T
Wells central, but I do wonder how they all keep going...

And yet, going south, bugger all in the wilderness that lies betwixt T Wells
and Hastings. In fact Robertsbridge is pretty central between the two in
the middle of this wilderness, and has a big derelict site just off teh
A21. I vote for Toolstation to open up there!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Know what you mean! We've got two Homebases, two Jewsons, two Argoses
(or is that Argosi?), two Halfords, two Carphone Warehouses, two Three
shops, two Tescos (not counting the little ones), and many other
duplications. As well as multiples within groups like Build Center/Plumb
Center, TP & Wickes. It isn't *that* big a town.

(But we do have some goodies like Axminster.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Don't forget Curd Brothers for real help with electrical problems in
cars, A1 electrical for ditto for houses. SE Tyres for excellent prices
on tyres - Ian Burrell is a top bloke 'cos he remembers me even though I
only go in once a year. Drakes next to Screwfix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
B&Q will make its debut in the furniture market. £18m investment will
take the retailer head to head with the likes of Argos and Ikea.

My feeling is they'll be very foolish to try and take on Ikea. Argos is a
different sort of operation.

--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 May 2009 22:14:09 +0100, Tim S had this to
say:

I view that as a big mistake. Unless B&Q expand their floor area (unlikley,
they had to shrink T Wells branch couple of years back, by about 30%) all
this will do is loose their core range (actually I find them quite useful
for proper materials these days) and waste space trying to become like
Homebase.

I think B&Q _are_ reducing their stocks of hardware in some of their
stores. Let's face it, fewer people are tackling d-i-y jobs themselves
(probably largely because of government meddling such as PartP).
You do see a larger number of tradesmens' vehicles around the streets
these days.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roberts wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
B&Q will make its debut in the furniture market. £18m investment will
take the retailer head to head with the likes of Argos and Ikea.

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12339

It will only be cheap Chinese crap, as usual.

Dave

It will probably be from MFIs old suppliers. You know three pieces where you
are supposed to have one and one where you are supposed to have three.
Ah bitter memories!

And holes which should have been there, but weren't. Good thing we own
a drill...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think B&Q _are_ reducing their stocks of hardware in some of their
stores. Let's face it, fewer people are tackling d-i-y jobs themselves
(probably largely because of government meddling such as PartP).
You do see a larger number of tradesmens' vehicles around the streets
these days.

Make me despair of this country.

But I'm not sure Part P is the root cause - does anyone really care?

I think that the balance has shifted in terms of work time. When I was a
lad, it seemed to me that many local men were home in time for supper,
whereas now, more and more people seem to be hauling long commutes to work,
staying late and generally having less time. Wives are persuing careers so
more money but even less time, with blokes being expected to share in the
housework (oh the horror) instead of doing manly things with a power
drill(!)

So everyone has a career but family units are less self sufficient.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 May 2009 07:44:32 +0100, Tim S wrote:

[...]

Spot on.

The credit crunch may help DIY a bit if people feel a bit poorer
though.

BTW: Doesn't B&Q already sell furniture?

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 May 2009 07:44:32 +0100, Tim S wrote:

But I'm not sure Part P is the root cause - does anyone really care?

Does the great unwashed actually know about Part P and many of the other
meddling Building Regs?

I think that the balance has shifted in terms of work time. When I was a
lad, it seemed to me that many local men were home in time for supper,
whereas now, more and more people seem to be hauling long commutes to
work, staying late and generally having less time.

Which is odd considering that the Working Time Directive should be
limiting the vast majority of workers to an average 40hr week. Maybe these
wage slaves are doing the overtime for nowt?

I think it's more down to a knock on effect of the current crop of parents
not having parents that did much themselves. The general population really
are now just "consumers". If something stops working or performing quite
as it should you throw it away and buy a new one. See the tales of
perfectly servicable things picked up at dumps that just need the
manufactures recomended maintenance carried out or just a bit of TLC.

Possibly people are just to frightened to have a go, "I might break
something". Whats the problem? It's not working now so if you do break it
what have you lost? If you fix it you have gained and maybe even (shock
horror) *learnt* something in the process.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
B&Q will make its debut in the furniture market. * £18m investment will
take the retailer head to head with the likes of Argos and Ikea.

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12339

It will only be cheap Chinese crap, as usual.

Dave

I view that as a big mistake. Unless B&Q expand their floor area (unlikley,

Quite possible. Ours received a new mezzanine sales floor a few yeasr
back, as did the local Homebase.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 11:27*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *The Medway Handyman wrote:

B&Q will make its debut in the furniture market. * £18m investment will
take the retailer head to head with the likes of Argos and Ikea.

My feeling is they'll be very foolish to try and take on Ikea. Argos is a
different sort of operation.

B&Q would be far more convenient for many people. If they get it
right, they could be on to a winner.

Do Ikea still force you to follow their route through the whole shop,
pay at the end, then have to go collect the goods somewhere else, only
to find they haven't actually got some of what you've just paid for?
Put me off for life, and I don't rate their designs anyway.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 29 May 2009 07:44:32 +0100, Tim S wrote:

But I'm not sure Part P is the root cause - does anyone really care?

Does the great unwashed actually know about Part P and many of the other
meddling Building Regs?

Well some of them will have heard so called experts in the media telling
them that it's now "illegal" to do any electrical work yourself.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

Which is odd considering that the Working Time Directive should be
limiting the vast majority of workers to an average 40hr week. Maybe these
wage slaves are doing the overtime for nowt?

I must admit I don't really think a lot of notice is made of that.

In my last job, come crunch time, I was doing 60+h weeks for several weeks.
No-one forced me (or they would have been told where to go) but it was
pride and a sense of duty (by the same cut, I did recoupe some of that time
later in some approved skives, but I know of people who would be expected
to still do 9-6pm even after a massive crunch). People who whine "aren't
team players" so people don't whine.

Also, companies keep moving around for no apaprantly good reason. The wife
works locally. Being kicked upto London in a few months, for some reason I
can't fathon - surely any sensible employer who is internet and phone based
should be doing their damndest to escape the city to save costs?... I don't
think the WTD covers the commute? or does it...

I think it's more down to a knock on effect of the current crop of parents
not having parents that did much themselves. The general population really
are now just "consumers". If something stops working or performing quite
as it should you throw it away and buy a new one. See the tales of
perfectly servicable things picked up at dumps that just need the
manufactures recomended maintenance carried out or just a bit of TLC.

That's true.

Possibly people are just to frightened to have a go, "I might break
something". Whats the problem? It's not working now so if you do break it
what have you lost? If you fix it you have gained and maybe even (shock
horror) *learnt* something in the process.

Schools don't help. One of mine built an excellent "den" at school in the
woods, with some classmates (infants school, quite young). I got to see it
one day - only to find warning tape around it, as some t*t obviously had a
touch of the H&S.

Apparantly, I believe the tape may have fallen off some time later *cough*.

This sort of activity needs to be encouraged, not bolloxed up by fecking
H&S. BTW, I checked the "den" and it was sound. Very well built in fact. I
was proud. Never shown said kiddie how to do that.

Cheers
Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke coughed up some electrons that declared:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 29 May 2009 07:44:32 +0100, Tim S wrote:

But I'm not sure Part P is the root cause - does anyone really care?

Does the great unwashed actually know about Part P and many of the other
meddling Building Regs?

Well some of them will have heard so called experts in the media telling
them that it's now "illegal" to do any electrical work yourself.

I must admit, I hav heard that from people. I put them straight though. My
recourse, is to point out that you can build a whole house from ground to
roof, subject to building control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 May 2009 19:54:56 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Which is odd considering that the Working Time Directive should be
limiting the vast majority of workers to an average 40hr week.

I must admit I don't really think a lot of notice is made of that.

In my last job, come crunch time, I was doing 60+h weeks for several
weeks.

I guess it depends on the sector you are working in, most ordinary jobs
don't have "crunch times", it pretty much the same week in week out.
Project based jobs still shouldn't have a crunch time if the project
manager is doing his job properly. B-) Very few jobs *really* require to
be done under 60 hr week conditions for an extended period of time.

People who whine "aren't team players" so people don't whine.

This is where it falls down unfortunately. Trouble is being in a team that
is dead on it's feet is counter productive but the suits working the M-F
9-5 with POETS don't realise that.

The wife works locally. Being kicked upto London in a few months, for
some reason I can't fathon - surely any sensible employer who is
internet and phone based should be doing their damndest to escape the
city to save costs?...

You would have thought so, if they are worried about not having a central
London address or phone number there are simple and cheap ways around
that.

I don't think the WTD covers the commute? or does it...

I don't think it covers home to normal base but if you are working away
from that normal base then it does. It's not simple as there are lots of
different scenarios but excess travel time is "working time".

Schools don't help. One of mine built an excellent "den" at school in
the woods,

snip
This sort of activity needs to be encouraged, not bolloxed up by fecking
H&S. BTW, I checked the "den" and it was sound. Very well built in fact.

Quite agree, wrap kids up in cotton wool and they will never learn
anything of real value. Yes, you take precautions but you also need to
explain what those precautions are and why you are taking them. Kids are
not daft, they have a brain just as capable (if not more so) of thought as
your own. Feed them information, ask them questions, make 'em think about
what they have experienced or what you have told them, get them make
connections between apparently unrelated bits of information, get them
observing what they see around them, what happens when such and such
occurs and why that happened not some other event. Feed that brain... The
biggest problem is keeping up with the little blighters!

Maybe I'm spoilt in having two very bright kids. But are they bright
because from the moment they popped into the world we have been feeding
their brains by talking to them as inteligent beings, answering their
questions, providing plenty of books (fact and fiction), letting them
learn from their own (minor) mistakes in relation to dangers such as
"sharp", "hot", "cold", "slippy", "windy" and involving them in "doing
things" where they can help. Not just sticking a dummy in their mouths and
plonking then in front of the telly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Fri, 29 May 2009 19:54:56 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Which is odd considering that the Working Time Directive should be
limiting the vast majority of workers to an average 40hr week.

I must admit I don't really think a lot of notice is made of that.

In my last job, come crunch time, I was doing 60+h weeks for several
weeks.

I guess it depends on the sector you are working in, most ordinary jobs
don't have "crunch times", it pretty much the same week in week out.
Project based jobs still shouldn't have a crunch time if the project
manager is doing his job properly. B-) Very few jobs *really* require to
be done under 60 hr week conditions for an extended period of time.

In an ideal world...

In this case, I was project manager, lead engineer, programmer and purchaser
of random hardware. Customer needed a prototype in 4.5 months from nothing.

And it was a new job, but I did already had some background with the
products and some of the (tiny) company staff, otherwise it would have been
impossible.

It worked. Not really the sort of stress I enjoy, but the overall result was
quite pleasing and the prototype became the final product, with later
additions and enhancements.

I don't begrudge those extra hours as the company was one of the very few
I've worked for with truely honourable management (they wera all
engineers - rather says something in itself). But I'm pretty sure my
situation is not unique - and many people I know have to pull similar
stunts for some fairly ungrateful *******s. At least my lot were grateful
for effort and results.

cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Kinell Dave, why aren't you Minister for Education?

Silly question, you have far too much common sense.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 May 2009 22:41:19 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Kinell Dave, why aren't you Minister for Education?

Silly question, you have far too much common sense.

Far to honest on expenses claims as well. B-)

With the current lack of work and the TV Ads pleading for teachers I did
wander across the 'net to see if that was a possibilty. Nope, to teach you
need a degree, the one I have is in "life" not written on a bit a paper.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 May 2009 22:45:59 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

Maybe I'm spoilt in having two very bright kids. But are they bright
because from the moment they popped into the world we have been feeding
their brains by talking to them as inteligent beings, answering their
questions, providing plenty of books (fact and fiction), letting them
learn from their own (minor) mistakes in relation to dangers such as
"sharp", "hot", "cold", "slippy", "windy" and involving them in "doing
things" where they can help. Not just sticking a dummy in their mouths and
plonking then in front of the telly.

That's the principle in The Shed - they are apprentices and are taught from
pre-birth.
I met a 2.5 yo who had more common sense and knowledge than most 16 yo -
but he still liked playing with his toys in the garden. He was at risk of
falling on to a stone floor at one point (out of balance on a high stool)
and his father made him think about how to get out of the position (did
help that my GF there was an A&E doctor!). The lad managed it and learned
something.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 May 2009 05:00:22 -0700 (PDT) Man at B&Q wrote :
Do Ikea still force you to follow their route through the whole shop,
pay at the end, then have to go collect the goods somewhere else, only
to find they haven't actually got some of what you've just paid for?
Put me off for life, and I don't rate their designs anyway.

Ours here in Melbourne has a few designated short cuts but it's still a
fair trek round. But here you only pay for what's on your trolley.

FWIW all the furniture in my flat here is from Ikea. No missing bits at
all. But their stock control here is somewhat lacking: I spent my first
seven weeks sleeping on a mattress on the floor, the bed I wanted being
out of stock.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2009 05:00:22 -0700 (PDT) Man at B&Q wrote :
Do Ikea still force you to follow their route through the whole shop,
pay at the end, then have to go collect the goods somewhere else, only
to find they haven't actually got some of what you've just paid for?
Put me off for life, and I don't rate their designs anyway.

Ours here in Melbourne has a few designated short cuts but it's still a
fair trek round. But here you only pay for what's on your trolley.

Same at the local one - it has a checkout like any supermarket. There may
well not be stock of things on display when you try and collect them from
the warehouse bit, though.

FWIW all the furniture in my flat here is from Ikea. No missing bits at
all. But their stock control here is somewhat lacking: I spent my first
seven weeks sleeping on a mattress on the floor, the bed I wanted being
out of stock.

Can't see B&Q improving on that, somehow. Or indeed carrying the sort of
stock that allows you to equip an entire house in one go like you
virtually can at Ikea.

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Can't see B&Q improving on that, somehow. Or indeed carrying the sort of
stock that allows you to equip an entire house in one go like you
virtually can at Ikea.

Habitat used to do (mail order only) Habitat Housepacks, where you could
equip an entire house in one go.

Shudder.

Possibly even worse than Ikea..

Owain