Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A question for plasterers

Pretty frequently now on newly boarded skimmed ceilings .... after
the plasterer has well gone (3 months ish) I am finding that where the
boards are screwed to the supports, the plaster is failing in little
disc shapes ..ie, it falls right off in some cases. It is a high rate
of failure in old and new builds.

What is the cause ... not screwed in enough, or screwed in too far and
breaking the paper?

Whatever it is .. it wants sorting !

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
Pretty frequently now on newly boarded skimmed ceilings .... after
the plasterer has well gone (3 months ish) I am finding that where the
boards are screwed to the supports, the plaster is failing in little
disc shapes ..ie, it falls right off in some cases. It is a high rate
of failure in old and new builds.

What is the cause ... not screwed in enough, or screwed in too far and
breaking the paper?

Whatever it is .. it wants sorting !

Mike P

It's often caused by numpties nailing stuff down on top of the joists, IE
floorboards, studwork, or in the case of lofts, people bouncing about and
not using crawlboards, plumbers/electricians banging holes in joists etc.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:
Mike wrote:
Pretty frequently now on newly boarded skimmed ceilings .... after
the plasterer has well gone (3 months ish) I am finding that where the
boards are screwed to the supports, the plaster is failing in little
disc shapes ..ie, it falls right off in some cases. It is a high rate
of failure in old and new builds.

What is the cause ... not screwed in enough, or screwed in too far and
breaking the paper?

Whatever it is .. it wants sorting !

It's often caused by numpties nailing stuff down on top of the joists, IE
floorboards, studwork, or in the case of lofts, people bouncing about and
not using crawlboards, plumbers/electricians banging holes in joists etc.

Also worse if plasterboard is nailed rather than screwed.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
It's often caused by numpties nailing stuff down on top of the joists,
IE floorboards, studwork, or in the case of lofts, people bouncing
about and not using crawlboards, plumbers/electricians banging holes in
joists etc.

Perhaps the plasterer should have given a warning - do not do anything
above this ceiling...

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
It's often caused by numpties nailing stuff down on top of the
joists, IE floorboards, studwork, or in the case of lofts, people
bouncing about and not using crawlboards, plumbers/electricians
banging holes in joists etc.

Perhaps the plasterer should have given a warning - do not do anything
above this ceiling...

you can do anything you want, but don't be surprised when the screwheads
blow the plaster off

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2009 22:17:02 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
It's often caused by numpties nailing stuff down on top of the
joists, IE floorboards, studwork, or in the case of lofts, people
bouncing about and not using crawlboards, plumbers/electricians
banging holes in joists etc.

Perhaps the plasterer should have given a warning - do not do anything
above this ceiling...

you can do anything you want, but don't be surprised when the screwheads
blow the plaster off

Im my experience it has nothing to do with people jumping on the
surface above, it is the application or the type of screws used.
I think they have a plastic bit on them which I cannot see plaster
adhering to for long.

I do not see the problem on old ceilings other than the usual cracks
where the edge of the boards are, as joists setle etc.

The void above in a lot of cases is probably less than six inches, as
in loft conversions, so you cannot blame other tradesman.

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike" wrote in message
news
Pretty frequently now on newly boarded skimmed ceilings .... after
the plasterer has well gone (3 months ish) I am finding that where the
boards are screwed to the supports, the plaster is failing in little
disc shapes ..ie, it falls right off in some cases. It is a high rate
of failure in old and new builds.

What is the cause ... not screwed in enough, or screwed in too far and
breaking the paper?

Whatever it is .. it wants sorting !

1. I have had better results with "black" plaster board screws and plain
plaster

2. cover the screw holes with plaster jointing adhesive before plastering.

3. Apply a dab of PVA before plastering.

I have taken to number 2 and not had any failures for ages.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4097 (20090522) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
Pretty frequently now on newly boarded skimmed ceilings .... after
the plasterer has well gone (3 months ish) I am finding that where the
boards are screwed to the supports, the plaster is failing in little
disc shapes ..ie, it falls right off in some cases. It is a high rate
of failure in old and new builds.

What is the cause ... not screwed in enough, or screwed in too far and
breaking the paper?

Whatever it is .. it wants sorting !

We've lived in our current house for 27 years which was a new build.
Internal walls downstairs block and upstairs plasterboard. I've made no
alterations during the time we have lived here apart from chasing in a
couple of cables. The roof is supported by preformed trusses.

In all the time we have lived here, I've had to replace about 6 plasterboard
nail divots. Most were when the house was about 10 years old. We originally
had 50% double glazing and 50% secondary. Initially, though despite having
eves ventilation of the roof space, we did have condensation issues. I
resolved these by initially having a dehumidifier on the landing as most
condensation was upstairs.

Eventually, I learnt that the principal source in our house was from the
kitchen and as a result placed the dehumidifier in there with great success.

We store a significant amount of "valuable", no, not true, but sentimental
stuff in the loft some of which is of considerable weight. These things are
are placed across the timbers with no boarding. I guess that I go into the
loft two to three times a year striding along the timbers.

This is only a thought: it could be variations in humidity and temperature
that are causing divots to fall out.

Plasterers Quote! John UK diy 13 November 15th 07 07:22 PM
Calling all plasterers! Simon UK diy 13 April 10th 07 01:30 PM
Idea for novice plasterers Davao UK diy 7 July 20th 06 10:54 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good PrecisionMachinisT Home Repair 0 April 22nd 05 04:04 PM
Any Plasterers Out There? John UK diy 6 March 4th 05 09:19 PM