Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solid timber (oak) doors

I need to buy 4 new internal doors and we rather fancy solid oak
doors.

I went to one local supplier, who showed me some very nice looking
doors, but only admitted that they were veneered when I started asking
about cutting them down to fit the odd-sized frames in our house.

I found some we like :
http://www.oakwarehouse.co.uk/shop/v...rs/14_Cheshire
http://www.oakwarehouse.co.uk/shop/v...lazed_Cheshire

Total cost of 4 doors with casings and architrave is going to be
£1300.00
Although this is obviously a lot of money but I think it's probably
good value if they really are solid oak. The local chap wanted around
£1000 just for veneered doors.

Does anybody know if I can do better anywhere else. Ideally I'd like
to look before I buy but I don't know any local suppliers for solid
timber doors. I live in Chorley (Lancs) but work in Warrington.

Also, more importantly, I will need to cut some of the doors down to
size and since they only seem to make them 1981mm in height, I may
need to take as much as 100mm (4 inches) of one of the doors. Does
anyone think I might have problems with these particular doors if I
have to do that ? I have no idea whether they are dowelled or M&T
joints.

Some of the real wood veneered doors look very good, but I think I'm
more likely to have problems cutting down a veneered door than a solid
one. If you disagree, please let me know because I'm sure I can get
them cheaper.

Thanks

Kevin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Google acorn doors. Also check pages in period homes and country life.

My cottage style internal doors were about 250 each, but the front doors
were just the right side of 500 with frames and draughts seals.

Well worth it though.

Also, more importantly, I will need to cut some of the doors down to
size and since they only seem to make them 1981mm in height,

get them made to measure. Costs no more.

Ive been that route. Got a mercahnt. He marks up 50% on a mass produced
cheap door. and only stocks certain sizes.

Go to a joiner, he makes them to size and marks up nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I think you will find that engineered doors are not actually solid. You need
to check carefully before paying. Genuine solid oak doors are likely to
cost rather moor.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Coincidentally I am looking for some for an old mill conversion. The joiner
we have been using for other things said he could not make them as cheap as
these people
http://www.charltonsfurniture.co.uk/
who have an outlet at Radstock called Charltons World of Wood.
I called them today and they said that Jewson and Travis Perkins also sell
their products
But I think the price you have been quoted looks about right.
Bruce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That price is pretty fair for doors with linings and trim (inc vat?).
You can probably find lower quotes on doors, but some suppliers then
load the price on the linings instead.

I bought my solid oak doors from Atkins & Cripps (http://
www.atkinsandcripps.co.uk/) and at the time I bought them, they were
having a half-price clear-out, so I ended up paying about £65/door ex-
vat (for 8) - though I had to make my own linings up as they had no
stock. Very satisfied with their quality, though had to jump through a
few hoops with their ordering system.

Trimming 100mm is a lot - you would be halving the bottom rail (on
framed and boarded doors the bottom rail is usually half the thickness
of the door, but typically 200mm high). Mine look like they'd take it,
but some remedial work might be needed.

Some companies do doors as kits (can't remember who right now), so you
can size the bits, then assemble the door. That may require gluing and
cramping to get them perfectly straight though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to buy 4 new internal doors and we rather fancy solid oak
doors.

I went to one local supplier, who showed me some very nice looking
doors, but only admitted that they were veneered when I started asking
about cutting them down to fit the odd-sized frames in our house.

I found some we like :
http://www.oakwarehouse.co.uk/shop/v...rs/14_Cheshire
http://www.oakwarehouse.co.uk/shop/v...lazed_Cheshire

Total cost of 4 doors with casings and architrave is going to be
£1300.00
Although this is obviously a lot of money but I think it's probably
good value if they really are solid oak. The local chap wanted around
£1000 just for veneered doors.

"Engineered oak construction" means an MDF core with oak finish,
possibly a bit thicker than veneere - but certainly not solid oak.

Does anybody know if I can do better anywhere else. Ideally I'd like
to look before I buy but I don't know any local suppliers for solid
timber doors. I live in Chorley (Lancs) but work in Warrington.

Also, more importantly, I will need to cut some of the doors down to
size and since they only seem to make them 1981mm in height, I may
need to take as much as 100mm (4 inches) of one of the doors. Does
anyone think I might have problems with these particular doors if I
have to do that ? I have no idea whether they are dowelled or M&T
joints.

The obvious answer here would be to make them yourself, or get a joiner
to do it for you.

Some of the real wood veneered doors look very good, but I think I'm
more likely to have problems cutting down a veneered door than a solid
one. If you disagree, please let me know because I'm sure I can get
them cheaper.

You can certainly trim them a reasonable amount. The advantage of the
engineered construction is they are dimensionally stable, and far less
likely to twist, warp, swell etc at the seasons change.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I rang oak warehouse yesterday afternoon to find out their opinion on
cutting 4 inches of the height of one of their doors.

It seems that 100% doesn't mean the same as solid oak.
They are actually oak frame with oak veneer over it.
They also had doubts that I would be able to take 4 inches off without
compromising the integrity of the door.

Even more reluctant now to buy online without seeing the doors for
myself. I'm going to have a look at what's available in the local
builders/timber merchants and even in B&Q/Wickes etc. If I have to
buy veneered doors, then I may as well try and get them for the best
price. I might even go back to the original local supplier, I did
measure the bottom rail on his doors and they were 9 inches, so I'm
hopeful I might be able to take 1inch of top and 3 off bottom.
Problem is I can't see how deep the 'real' rail is under the veneer.

Will also give my local joinery manufacturer a ring. I've had a few
windows made by him which have been quite well made and at fair
prices. Only problem is he's usually very busy and I'm not sure he'll
be able to do them in time.