Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - SAFETYWEAR-R-US?

I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and
have just had a note through from the training company to say that I
will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All
the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low
heights and indoors!)

Anyways, does anyone know of any national chains where I can go and
buy this stuff over the counter. I have a feeling Screwfix trade
counter might be the way to go, but thought i'd ask here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and
have just had a note through from the training company to say that I
will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All
the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low
heights and indoors!)

Anyways, does anyone know of any national chains where I can go and
buy this stuff over the counter. I have a feeling Screwfix trade
counter might be the way to go, but thought i'd ask here.

You could try http://www.arco.co.uk/ they have trade counters all over the
place.

Here is a link to their branch locator
http://www.arco.co.uk/branchloc

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and
have just had a note through from the training company to say that I
will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All
the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low
heights and indoors!)

I had an old wooden ladder break under me recently )-:

Hat and vest would not have helped me at all. I crashed through the
ladder onto a wooden block, then directly down onto my bum!

Not sure what the different might have been if I had been wearing boots
rather than slippers...

http://unicorn.drogon.net/left-foot1.jpg

that was about 6 weeks ago and the foots still sore at times )-:

Good luck on the course! I was just looking at a hanging basket bracket...

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and
have just had a note through from the training company to say that I
will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All
the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low
heights and indoors!)

Anyways, does anyone know of any national chains where I can go and
buy this stuff over the counter. I have a feeling Screwfix trade
counter might be the way to go, but thought i'd ask here.

Any builders' merchant will have them.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 May 2009 06:06:23 -0700, cpvh wrote:

I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and
have just had a note through from the training company to say that I
will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All
the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low
heights and indoors!)

Anyways, does anyone know of any national chains where I can go and
buy this stuff over the counter. I have a feeling Screwfix trade
counter might be the way to go, but thought i'd ask here.

I get my steel cap boots from Toolstation.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The clairvoyants' meeting has been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and
have just had a note through from the training company to say that I
will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All
the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low
heights and indoors!)

Anyways, does anyone know of any national chains where I can go and
buy this stuff over the counter. I have a feeling Screwfix trade
counter might be the way to go, but thought i'd ask here.

Any BM should have it all - the local Travis Perkins does. But not
necessarily at the best price. The hat goggles and Hi-Vis should be cheap
enough - but the footware varies enormously in cost, and can be pretty
expensive. Worth checking out a large ASDA, Tesco or Sainsbury - they
sometimes have them.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 May, 14:06, wrote:
I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and
have just had a note through from the training company to say that I
will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All
the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low
heights and indoors!)

Anyways, does anyone know of any national chains where I can go and
buy this stuff over the counter. *I have a feeling Screwfix trade
counter might be the way to go, but thought i'd ask here.

Hi viz vests are a pound each at our local car boot sale site.
Safety boots I get from ARCO
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
I had a small job at a primary school about 3 years ago and I could
inspect the aluminiun ladders no problem, due to my experience in the
aerospace industry, but the wooden one, I was never sure about, so I
didn't use it unless I *really* had to.

Best, IMHO, are wood ones with aluminium rungs. Have the right amount of
'bounce' without the danger of rungs breaking.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 May, 21:14, Dave wrote:
wrote:
I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and
have just had a note through from the training company to say that I
will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All
the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low
heights and indoors!)

Anyways, does anyone know of any national chains where I can go and
buy this stuff over the counter. *I have a feeling Screwfix trade
counter might be the way to go, but thought i'd ask here.

Does this coarse include ladder inspection for fit to use?

I had a small job at a primary school about 3 years ago and I could
inspect the aluminiun ladders no problem, due to my experience in the
aerospace industry, but the wooden one, I was never sure about, so I
didn't use it unless I *really* had to.

Ladder examination should form a large part of this coarse.

Yep, the course is £85 without this module, and £120 with and we've
gone for the £120 version.

We have a number of nice shiny Alu ladders around the site, but the
facilities dept have locked them all up and said we can't use them as
we're not trained. When I asked last week if we could have a key once
we are trained, they pointed out that they are actualy part of a
different limited co and they have asked the powers that be about the
liability issues, but nobody has given them a descision. We could
wind up having to have 2 sets of ladders in each location! My brain
hurts :=((

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

I agree that school leavers and people who come from different career
backgrounds definitely should get formal H&S training on certain issues but
why does no one run a Common Sense course for duh mannigmunt?

I was watching the fitters putting up replacement plastic fascias
and soffits on a couple of houses near me last week. It seems
that, now doing such work from a ladder is not acceptable, they
are provided with a simple platform. This consists of a flat
work area simply butted up against the wall, held in place by
friction and a pair of legs angled outwards.

It looked as if the platform had sockets for handrails, but none
were in use. The guy was standing up working on the gable end
with absolutely nothing to stop him from falling.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

I agree that school leavers and people who come from different career
backgrounds definitely should get formal H&S training on certain issues
but why does no one run a Common Sense course for duh mannigmunt?

I was watching the fitters putting up replacement plastic fascias
and soffits on a couple of houses near me last week. It seems
that, now doing such work from a ladder is not acceptable, they
are provided with a simple platform. This consists of a flat
work area simply butted up against the wall, held in place by
friction and a pair of legs angled outwards.

It looked as if the platform had sockets for handrails, but none
were in use. The guy was standing up working on the gable end
with absolutely nothing to stop him from falling.

Chris

Typical "follow the policy in a half arsed way and miss the point in a fully
arsed way".

In the real world, self employed windows fitters shinny up ladders (our
landlord's did exactly that only last year) carrying 5-6m lengths of
plastic board. I suspect the thought of being unable to work for 3 months
(whatever) with a broken bone helps them to ensure appropriate safety
measures for the job (eg tying the ladder) are followed.

Window cleaners are still seem on ladders round here - but more than likely
all one man businesses.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

[...]

Our local window cleaner hates our house - does it with mops, etc. on
long poles early in the mornings when no traffic is about. The house is
right on a bend with a tiny bit of pavement..

And we currently have it covered in scaffolding - repaining to walls and
general TLC on the gutters, fascia boards, etc. We know the last person
who did it was on a long ladder (needs a 3-section one to get anywhere
close) and it was a bit of a cover-up job )-:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/dscn7142.jpg

Doesn't really give you much idea of height, but double-decker busses
go under it with a few feet to clear.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gordon Henderson writes:
In article ,
Tim S wrote:

In the real world, self employed windows fitters shinny up ladders (our
landlord's did exactly that only last year) carrying 5-6m lengths of
plastic board. I suspect the thought of being unable to work for 3 months
(whatever) with a broken bone helps them to ensure appropriate safety
measures for the job (eg tying the ladder) are followed.

Window cleaners are still seem on ladders round here - but more than likely
all one man businesses.

This seems to be a bit of EU regs which, for once, someone else
did more "gold plating" than us. In Holland, apparently, window
cleaners are no longer allowed to use ladders at all, and have
to use things like scissor lifts and cherry pickers, making the
task no longer economic for domestic customers.

Our local window cleaner hates our house - does it with mops, etc. on
long poles early in the mornings when no traffic is about. The house is
right on a bend with a tiny bit of pavement..

And we currently have it covered in scaffolding - repaining to walls and
general TLC on the gutters, fascia boards, etc. We know the last person
who did it was on a long ladder (needs a 3-section one to get anywhere
close) and it was a bit of a cover-up job )-:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/dscn7142.jpg

Doesn't really give you much idea of height, but double-decker busses
go under it with a few feet to clear.

Did you need some sort of council application to put that up?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 May 2009 12:41:52 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

This seems to be a bit of EU regs which, for once, someone else did more
"gold plating" than us. In Holland, apparently, window cleaners are no
longer allowed to use ladders at all, and have to use things like
scissor lifts and cherry pickers, making the task no longer economic for
domestic customers.

Ah that would explain why the window cleaners I've seen recently have all
been using brushes on the end of a long telescopic pole with water fed up
the pole from their van. Great lengths of trailing hose across roads along
pavements, with sticking up loops, making a wonderful trip hazard for
Auntie Mable who is partially sighted... One step forward, two steps back?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
making a wonderful trip hazard for Auntie Mable who is partially
sighted... One step forward, two steps back?

She needs to cut down on the lunchtime sherry, then.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Gordon Henderson writes:

And we currently have it covered in scaffolding - repaining to walls and
general TLC on the gutters, fascia boards, etc. We know the last person
who did it was on a long ladder (needs a 3-section one to get anywhere
close) and it was a bit of a cover-up job )-:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/dscn7142.jpg

Doesn't really give you much idea of height, but double-decker busses
go under it with a few feet to clear.

Did you need some sort of council application to put that up?

No formal application for permission, but there was a 50 quid
license payable (to Teignbridge DC, Devon) but the scaffolding company did
all that. http://www.swscaffolding.co.uk/

Biggest whinge we got was from the local steam railway who run vintage
double deckers round the town - but we did all the measurements, etc. and
there was plenty of headroom!

The scaffolding goes right round the house - side and back, and over
a glass roof at one point. I'm no scaffolding expert, but I feel it's
very well done. They took best part of a day plus the following morning
to do it.

The front will be coming down maybe tomorow, (it was built with that
in-mind), leaving the side and back in-place for an other week or 3.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ah that would explain why the window cleaners I've seen recently have all
been using brushes on the end of a long telescopic pole with water fed up
the pole from their van. Great lengths of trailing hose across roads along
pavements, with sticking up loops, making a wonderful trip hazard for
Auntie Mable who is partially sighted... One step forward, two steps back?

It's hot water that gets me.

I recently came across an ornamental fountain sort of hand washing
thing. It was a dome about a metre across with jets all the way around
that come on when you put your hand underneath. Yes, they all come on
for one hand. Very economical. And the water was too hot to wash your
hands in properly. With warning stickers, so they do know. I assume
that Legionnaire's is regarded as more of a problem than E. Coli...

Andy