Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Bit of a con, really ... ?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Larter wrote:
wrote:
Now I am fully aware that there have been seven color printers, but
such enhancements are simply not practical for display technology.
That's the rules of the game, I didn't make them. Actually I haven't
seen a seven color printer for quite some time, they may have
abandoned the technique.

No, it's standard on high end inkjet printers, & some use even more than
7 inks. For example, the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 uses 8 inks.

I suspect it may just be too expensive, and
think of what something like that would do to the cost of a TV set or
monitor.

It's certainly impractical for screens, yes.

There's no need for a display since it is theoretically possible to get
all visible colours from RGB. Mixing dyes is a different matter.

The reason that one might want to have more segment with more colors, as is
done in many DLP color wheels (such as the Mitsubishis that use 6 colors,
RGBCY&M) is that you can get spectral performance that is more efficient use
of the available light source. You have to change your decoding to
accommodate the relative spectral differences to take proper advantage of
the new colors, however, and this may result in some improvement in some
areas and poorer performance in others. The Mitsubishis seem to have this
tweaked pretty well after several generations of doing so.

While it is true that you can get any color within the gamut defined by
three primaries, RG&B, with combinations of those three, the amount of each
required for a given color will vary with the spectrum available. The
bottom line is that the performance depends on the execution of the system
as much as the particulars of the spectrum of the available sources and the
filters being used.

You simply cannot assume that all colors are going to be correctly
reproduced without knowing more about the spectrum and the decoding matrix
and/or LUTs.

Leonard