Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computer + Thermocuples & Energy use.

I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my computer.
At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I have 6
channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new Atmos
boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my

computer.
At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I

have 6
channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new

Atmos
boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit

concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price

that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Don

Don,

Buy yourself a plug in mains monitor - Maplin sell them, and there are
loads on eBay - get the true cost over twenty four hours. Then tweak
the power saving setting on the PC to minimise what will only be small
anyway.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=38343

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2009 08:09:38 +0100, Donwill wrote:

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit
concerned what it will do to my electricity bill.

Depnds on the PC my 1GHz Athlon single core athlon takes about 80W or
about 2 units/day or about 20p/day = £6/month = £18/qtr.

Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that
I can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Take a look at Argos and the Asus Eee box £199.99 (507/0107) nominal 20W
consumption, available web only IIRC. No PCI slots or RS232 port, which
might be a bit of PITA regards external interfacing. Has ethernet and USB
of course.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my computer.
At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I have 6
channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new Atmos
boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Don

Use an old laptop, you dont need much specs to read temps.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Take a look at Argos and the Asus Eee box £199.99 (507/0107) nominal 20W
consumption, available web only IIRC. No PCI slots or RS232 port, which
might be a bit of PITA regards external interfacing. Has ethernet and USB
of course.

I have an eee box on 24/7 running my X10 system and a few monitoring /
logging tasks also. I use a USB Serial interface, works fine. I may swap
out the HDD with a solid-state one when they get cheap enough, to reduce the
power consumption / heat output even further.
I have a scanner hooked up to it also, for occasional scanning tasks it's
powerful enough. It's been in service for about 8 months so far, so problems
at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Mon, 11 May 2009 08:09:38 +0100, Donwill wrote:

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit
concerned what it will do to my electricity bill.

Depnds on the PC my 1GHz Athlon single core athlon takes about 80W or
about 2 units/day or about 20p/day = £6/month = £18/qtr.

Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that
I can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Take a look at Argos and the Asus Eee box £199.99 (507/0107) nominal 20W
consumption, available web only IIRC. No PCI slots or RS232 port, which
might be a bit of PITA regards external interfacing. Has ethernet and USB
of course.

I'll second that. The Eeepc isn't my cup of tea (screen too tiny) but it is
a well engineered bit of kit (SWMBO has one).

Best of all it runs linux or windows and has a flash drive (=no moving
parts, other than a fan - I think...

Personally I'd run linux on it (either the inbuilt Xandros, which can have
debian or Ubuntu packages added) or junk that and load eeeXubuntu as I
notice the TC08 has linux drivers.

Then secure remote access (ssh) and webserving, email alerts etc are all
easily doable for free The TC 08 is USB AFAICS so the Eee PC seems a
good candidate.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill popple @diddle .dot wrote:
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my computer.
At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I have 6
channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new Atmos
boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

I build low-power PCs as part of my business... However with low-power
(watts) comes low power (CPU). No issues if you're running Linux and a
dedicated application though (which I do)

But even with Windoze you can build something acceptable. So an easy
start might be a 1GHz VIA C7 system - with a flash drive, I get these
to run at about 15W.

http://unicorn.drogon.net/stuff/power.jpg

This is running Linux though.

Even lower power can be had with AMD Geode systems - but they run at
500MHz, so XP might really be slow on them..

Intel Atom montherboards are a good compromise between power and CPU
oomph though. I have an Atom server at home (and several other Atom
systems, servers, etc.) - single core version with 2 x 1TB drives and
it's running at about 42W in total.

An old Laptop might not be that good unless you can get it to run with
the display off, but you can now get Acer Aspire One's relatively cheply
if you look about - especially the Linux ones which people "don't get",
so if you're happy with Linux they'll be fine, or slap an OEM version
of XP on them.

I did some tests a while back on my laptops - the AAO sucks 27W when
running flat-out with the display on. (running cpu burn tests)

Good luck!

Gordon

Ps. That's a nice, but expensive bit of kit though - £250! Although when
I re-do all my heating it will be nice to monitor everything I can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot writes:
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my computer.
At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I have 6
channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new Atmos
boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

I am using some second-hand Compaq Deskpro EN systems for low
power always-on requirements. They can be found for £20 now
at computer fairs (actually, they're getting harder to find).

They are PIII systems, ranging from about 733MHz to 1GHz, and
can take 512MB RAM, 3 unused PCI slots, on-board Intel 100Mbit
ethernet, parallel, serial, USB 1.1, graphics, 3.5" IDE and
CD drive, PS2 mouse/keyboard.

For what I use them for, I disconnect the CD to save power and
get a spare drive power connector, max out the memory, fit a
cheap low spec (5400 RPM) drive (originals are only 10 or 20GB),
and fit one or two additional Intel PCI ethernet cards. I make
up a lead to provide 5V and 12V external power from the drive
connector, and use this to power an ethernet switch and a Wi-Fi
access point. That all comes to 23W power consumption (including
the ethernet switch and Wi-Fi access point), and completely
silent (it has one or two fans, but they run slowly).

One slight pain is these systems won't boot without a keyboard
plugged in, and there's no BIOS override for this. For a couple
of them, I broke out the microcontroller from a knackered
keyboard, and had just it dangling from an inch of cable plugged
into the keyboard port, in a 1/2" square potting box.
They can be set to automatically boot on power restore though.

I run Solaris x86 on them, but they will also run Windows XP,
and I'm sure Linux too although I haven't tried that on one.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

One slight pain is these systems won't boot without a keyboard
plugged in, and there's no BIOS override for this. For a couple
of them, I broke out the microcontroller from a knackered
keyboard, and had just it dangling from an inch of cable plugged
into the keyboard port, in a 1/2" square potting box.
They can be set to automatically boot on power restore though.

Not used them, but:

http://www.dummykeyboard.co.uk/

might be an easy answer..

(probably the same as you're making, but already made for you)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gordon Henderson writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

One slight pain is these systems won't boot without a keyboard
plugged in, and there's no BIOS override for this. For a couple
of them, I broke out the microcontroller from a knackered
keyboard, and had just it dangling from an inch of cable plugged
into the keyboard port, in a 1/2" square potting box.
They can be set to automatically boot on power restore though.

Not used them, but:

http://www.dummykeyboard.co.uk/

might be an easy answer..

Yes, I've seen these things before.
If they weren't 6 times the price of a new cheap keyboard,
I might have got a couple.

(probably the same as you're making, but already made for you)

Next time I make one, I'll work out which pair of the keyboard
scan wires the F1 key is on, and solder on a single F1 button.
Then when the BIOS says the disk's changed, or there's more
memory, press F1 to save configuration and continue, I won't
have to go find a real keyboard.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AlanD wrote:

I may swap
out the HDD with a solid-state one when they get cheap enough, to reduce the
power consumption / heat output even further.

You can get interface boards to allow a Compact Flash card to be used as
a HDD pretty cheaply already.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2009 09:36:33 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Take a look at Argos and the Asus Eee box £199.99 (507/0107) nominal
20W consumption,

I'll second that. The Eeepc isn't my cup of tea (screen too tiny) but it
is a well engineered bit of kit (SWMBO has one).

I said Eee box this is just a large paper back sized box, no screen. B-)

For data gathering you don't need much storage or umph. My server is an
Compaq 800MHz PIII and until recently had it's orginal 10GB or there
abouts harddrive. Still loads of space and more than fast enough. I
suspect it pulls more than the 20W stated for similar machines. It might
be 40 or 50W. I guess I could disconnect the CD and Floppy drives that
don't do anything and knocka few watts off. Maybe I'll do that if I ever
have to open it up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M coughed up some electrons that declared:

AlanD wrote:

I may swap
out the HDD with a solid-state one when they get cheap enough, to reduce
the power consumption / heat output even further.

You can get interface boards to allow a Compact Flash card to be used as
a HDD pretty cheaply already.

Yes, a CF card has the same electrical signals as a P-IDE disk. The
converter cables are just that - no electronics. They can be a bit of a
bugger to find - Maplin do some IIRC.

You can also get little modules with a CF socket and a P-IDE cable socket on
tghe back, again no electronics. I've used these with success. SATA-CF
converter modules are also available and these too work (though do contain
electronics).

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2009 08:27:21 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Buy yourself a plug in mains monitor - Maplin sell them, and there are
loads on eBay - get the true cost over twenty four hours.

How well do they measure low powers and cope with the strange waveforms
that SMPSU's generate?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2009 07:09:38 UTC, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:

I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my computer.
At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I have 6
channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new Atmos
boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

I use a fanless Mini-ITX board with a CF card as its disk - about 15
watts.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 08:27:21 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Buy yourself a plug in mains monitor - Maplin sell them, and there are
loads on eBay - get the true cost over twenty four hours.

How well do they measure low powers and cope with the strange waveforms
that SMPSU's generate?

The one I saw pictured in this thread somewhere seems to be very
good. Several people sell it, with different names/models depending
which OEM path the product took, but they're identical. CPC have
had it on offer for under £5 from time to time, although it's
usually nearer £10-15. They do cheaper ones too.

I've tested a few different ones against a true power meter, and
the only one which was way-off was the first one I bought, a
Brennenstuhl one. I've seen suggestions that this is caused by
having no battery in it, which might be the case. (I thought the
battery was just to preserve readings over a power cut, but it
may be that it gives duff readings without it.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
[...]

I'd forgotten I had one, found it in Boyz Toyz cupboard, the SWMBO chucks
everything that looks important/technical in there.

It's reading between 50 and 40Watts but when I shut the monitor down it
decreases to approx 32 to 35 Watts.
I was looking at the Power settings, it has various things you can shut down
e.g Hard discs, not a good idea if I want continuous monitoring I think.
What about System Standby, excuse my ignorance, would that shiut down the
temperature monitoring? the other setting is System Hibernates, same
question?
BTW it's a laptop Sony VAIO

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my
computer. At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I
have 6 channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new
Atmos boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Don

Have you thought of Fit PC at under 10W?
www.fit-pc.co.uk

Size: 11.5 x 10.1 x 2.7 cm

Power usage: 6-9 Watts (Load) - 12V input.

CPU: Intel Atom Z530 (1.6 GHz) / Z510 (1.1 GHz)

Memory: 1GB DDR2

Hard Drive: 160GB SATA (remove-/replace-able)

Connectivity:

1000 BaseT Ethernet LAN

802.11g (54 Mbps) (optional extra)

6 x USB 2.0 ports

MiniSD socket

IR Receiver

Video:

DVI Digital - up to 1920x1080

HD-capable 1080p

Audio:

HD line-out 2.0

Microphone-in

Line-in

Chipset: Intel US15W

BIOS: Phoenix BIOS

Weight: 330g

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my
computer. At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I
have 6 channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new
Atmos boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Don

The figure that I have heard quoted is £50 / annum for a desktop PC, but
I don't know if that includes a monitor.
It was sufficiently high to make me abandon my Linux/Asterisk
phone system box which was running 24/7

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BruceB coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my
computer. At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I
have 6 channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new
Atmos boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that
I can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Don

Have you thought of Fit PC at under 10W?
www.fit-pc.co.uk

Mmm. I can see a use for one (or three) of them...

Lust lust lust...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 2009-05-11, Tim S wrote:
BruceB coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message

Have you thought of Fit PC at under 10W?
www.fit-pc.co.uk

Mmm. I can see a use for one (or three) of them...

Lust lust lust...

Pah, who wants a clunky great thing like that. We're using these
at work;

http://www.chippc.com/thin-clients/jack-pc/

Mine's smaller than yours...

:P

Looks cool. Linux too. Bit pricier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Graham." writes:

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my
computer. At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I
have 6 channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new
Atmos boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Don

The figure that I have heard quoted is £50 / annum for a desktop PC, but
I don't know if that includes a monitor.

That sounds like just a base unit, at 50W.

A ball-park figure at the moment of 1W continuous use comes out
around £1/year.

It was sufficiently high to make me abandon my Linux/Asterisk
phone system box which was running 24/7

I have one doing that, and some other things. It does the whole
family (spread across multiple countries). On the basis that
my mother is probably involved as one party in the majority of
family phone calls, it lives in my parents' house, so they end
up paying. OTOH, the £23/year it costs them is about what it
saved them on phone calls each week, so I can't see them
complaining.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
Have you thought of Fit PC at under 10W?
www.fit-pc.co.uk

Mmm. I can see a use for one (or three) of them...

Only three? You're not trying hard enough!

Lust lust lust...

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
Pah, who wants a clunky great thing like that. We're using these
at work;

http://www.chippc.com/thin-clients/jack-pc/

Not much different sizewise TBH but not as powerful as the Atom (which
now comes in Dual Core form) and they won't run Windows, you need a
decent server in the background for it to work... Besides, they look
bloody awful.
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AlanD wrote:

I may swap
out the HDD with a solid-state one when they get cheap enough, to reduce
the power consumption / heat output even further.

You can get interface boards to allow a Compact Flash card to be used as
a HDD pretty cheaply already.

Yes, a CF card has the same electrical signals as a P-IDE disk. The
converter cables are just that - no electronics. They can be a bit of a
bugger to find - Maplin do some IIRC.

You can also get little modules with a CF socket and a P-IDE cable socket on
tghe back, again no electronics. I've used these with success. SATA-CF
converter modules are also available and these too work (though do contain
electronics).

I never understood this obsession with CF adapters when you can get
Flash IDE disk modules that plug right in:

http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=129&pp=100,129

I've been using these for a few years now.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson coughed up some electrons that declared:

I never understood this obsession with CF adapters when you can get
Flash IDE disk modules that plug right in:

http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=129&pp=100,129

I've been using these for a few years now.

Gordon

In my day (2003 ish) all we had was CF-IDE adaptors

None of this new fangled stuff.

But it's a good point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2009 17:54:12 UTC, Gordon Henderson
wrote:

I never understood this obsession with CF adapters when you can get
Flash IDE disk modules that plug right in:

http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=129&pp=100,129

Fine, but not if you occasionally want to change the 'disk'. Yes, I know
it requires a power cycle, but on my rack mounted system it's a lot
easier just to pull the CF card out of the slot in the front and replace
it with a 'new' one...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 11/05/2009, Donwill supposed :
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my computer.
At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I have 6
channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new Atmos
boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Don

Another way would be to use battery operated temperature loggers and
plug them into your PC to download their stored data. No need for the
PC to be on at all then, except to download.

Alternative II..
You can buy weather stations able to record and store internal and
external temperatures for £60 - again you can download the stored data
when it suites, doesn't cover your other items though.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I have a Pico TC 08 channel thermocouple unit which plugs into my
computer. At the moment I am monitoring ext temp and internal temp only, I
have 6 channels free and I hope to monitor flow and return temps on my new
Atmos boiler and also glasshouse temps.

To monitor temperatures, the computer is ON 24hrs and I'm a bit concerned
what it will do to my electricity bill.
Does anyone know of a low energy use computer at a reasonable price that I
can dedicate to recording temperatures and other parameters.?

Why use a computer..... 24/7
apart from the fact that yuo have a measuring device ;-)

Here's a USB device that will log temperature without needing a computer.
Sure after a time you'll need to startup the PC to download the data.

"The instrument will record over 32,000 readings at a rate of between 1
second and 12 hours and, when downloaded, data can be graphed, printed and
exported to other applications via the supplied purpose designed software."

Handy for recording in difficult to get to places like sheds, lofts over a
long period of time.
You could even tape it to a pipe.

about £47

http://www.rapidonline.com/Education...le+Data+logger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, Unfortunately I need more than one channel, my present
set up records 8 channels, does graphs etc etc
Regards
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2009 07:23:22 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Rapid USB temperature data logger

Thanks for that, Unfortunately I need more than one channel, my present
set up records 8 channels, does graphs etc etc

So just buy 8 of 'em. B-)

They are stand alone units only needing the USB connection to adjust the
settings and download the logged data. Once the data is on a PC generating
graphs should be a POP.

Big snag is 8 at £40 each is £320 you can buy a brand new pretty powerful
PC for that sort of money. How about an Arduino and 8 "one wire"
temperature sensors.

--
Cheers
Dave.