Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - New House Development Names

David in Normandy wrote:

Oi! I've got a white van. (I call it my vin blanch) :-)

It makes us blanch alright...

Didn't Citroen(1) have van rouge / vin blanc as a sales name a few years
back?

Andy

(1) B**** umlauts...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

There was the "Space" estate in Leicester, with Buzz Aldrin Way, Apollo
Walk, Moon Close etc. I think that has been demolished now.

Former Woodley Airfield (home of Miles Aircraft) is accessed off the
M/Way on the Bader Way (it is where he had his crash) and most of the
roads are named after aircraft. Though on inspection they do seem to
have the odd artist too...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Spice" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Have you noticed what naff names new developments have? (Foxglove Covert,
Marigold Valley, etc) Usually inversely related to the environment in
which the development is in.

Any gems near you?

The estate I'm on all the roads are named after the wards and buildings
that used to be in the Mental Asylum that used to be on the site.

Cheers

Mark

OP Comment. I was originally referring to the daft names that builders give
to their developments - not road names. (obviously another interesting
topic - but not always as naff)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grope****_Lane

guess who plied their trade there ...

It doesn't take a lot of guesswork.

Politicians?

You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

There was the "Space" estate in Leicester, with Buzz Aldrin Way, Apollo
Walk, Moon Close etc. I think that has been demolished now.

Former Woodley Airfield (home of Miles Aircraft) is accessed off the
M/Way on the Bader Way (it is where he had his crash) and most of the
roads are named after aircraft. Though on inspection they do seem to
have the odd artist too...

Well they have an excuse for it. Down on the M27 is **** central,
Whiteley near Fareham. It's full of adenoidal aspirationals who think
that living next door to a "designer outlet" makes their timber framed
mock-stone clad excressence a cut above the ones on the other side of
the motorway.

The roads there include:

Brabazon Rd, Barnes Wallis Ed, Bader Way, Cheshire Close, Bleriot
Crescent, Johnson View (fnar), Gibson Close, Lindberg Rise and Molson
Rise.

I had a suspicion that the last one is probably mistaken by most for a
beer company but it seems to be named after Hugh Molson of the
Searchlight Regiment.

A bit further down the road is the Herbs estate. It's far too horrible
to contemplate. Marjoram Way, Carraway Close and so on.