Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hexagon

My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the 'across
flats' dimension?

I know its pie fag er indoors, but I can't get my head around it - I blame a
long day in the sun.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the 'across
flats' dimension?

I know its pie fag er indoors, but I can't get my head around it - I blame
a long day in the sun.

Nice teaser, working aloud...

Regular hexagon in 6 isosceles triangles. 360 degrees divided into 6
triangles gives angle of 60 degrees.

Side opposite 60 degree angle is 1500. Split into two equal right angle
triangles, with (out)side of 750 and opposite angle of 30 degrees.

opposite/adjacent = tan 30
adjacent = opposite / tan 30 = 750 / tan 30 = 1299

adjacent side is half the across flats "diameter" of the hexagon, so across
flats = 2598

I hope that's right or I'm going to feel a plonker.

And the plonker won't like it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 May, 22:40, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
My brain has just frozen.

Apply alcohol.

1299.04

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is is decking?

Can I have a prize?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 6 May, 22:40, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
My brain has just frozen.

Apply alcohol.

1299.04

That's half the value

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 May, 22:53, Tim S wrote:

adjacent side is half the across flats "diameter" of the hexagon, so across
flats = 2598

Ahem.

.... x 2 = 2598.

Bums.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the 'across
flats' dimension?

**** simple - but work it out yourself

consider the hexagon to be 6 equilateral triangles with side lengths of
1500

It then becomes a trivial geometric exercise

I know its pie fag er indoors, but I can't get my head around it - I blame a
long day in the sun.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Is is decking?

Dead right! Why people want hexagonal decks is beyond me :-)

Can I have a prize?

Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 May, 22:53, Tim S wrote:

adjacent side is half the across flats "diameter" of the hexagon, so
across flats = 2598

Ahem.

... x 2 = 2598.

Bums.

Never mind. I was trying to cut coving with a mitre block today. Turned 1m
into powder trying to work out which way to cut the bloody stuff for an
internal bend. 3D problems mess my head up good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the
'across flats' dimension?

**** simple - but work it out yourself

consider the hexagon to be 6 equilateral triangles with side lengths
of 1500

I'd got that far all by myself. Then my brain froze.

It then becomes a trivial geometric exercise

It would be trivial if could remember it all. Should have spent more time
listening in class & less time passing notes to Julie Tolson...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Is is decking?

Dead right! Why people want hexagonal decks is beyond me :-)

Half-hex would make sense, on the back of a house.

Is it an island in the garden - or connected to said house?

Can I have a prize?

Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

Debbie Harry and a bushel of whipped cream out of the question then? But we
like magnets too.

You should get a few made up with neodynium magnets as a joke item - see if
the recipient can ever pull it off the fridge again.

You're name and number would remain with the customer, never lost.

And we could get into a whole world of angle grinder skits
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the 'across
flats' dimension?

I know its pie fag er indoors, but I can't get my head around it - I blame
a long day in the sun.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The square on the hippopotamus = the squares of the othe two sides.

1500 squared= 2250000
750 squared = 562500

Subtract= 1687500
Take the sq.root = 1299

Double = 2598 mm across flats.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the
'across flats' dimension?

**** simple - but work it out yourself

consider the hexagon to be 6 equilateral triangles with side lengths
of 1500

I'd got that far all by myself. Then my brain froze.

It then becomes a trivial geometric exercise

It would be trivial if could remember it all. Should have spent more time
listening in class & less time passing notes to Julie Tolson...

Hope she was worth it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Is is decking?

Dead right! Why people want hexagonal decks is beyond me :-)

Half-hex would make sense, on the back of a house.

Is it an island in the garden - or connected to said house?

Right down the bottom of the garden. To house a hexagonal pergola.

Can I have a prize?

Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

Debbie Harry and a bushel of whipped cream out of the question then?

I thought I was the only one with that fantasy?

But we like magnets too.

I'll pop one in the post. If I knew your address.

You should get a few made up with neodynium magnets as a joke item -
see if the recipient can ever pull it off the fridge again.

You're name and number would remain with the customer, never lost.

That was the concept in the first place. And it works.

And we could get into a whole world of angle grinder skits

As if we need help :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Can I have a prize?

Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

Debbie Harry and a bushel of whipped cream out of the question then? But we
like magnets too.

30 years on, you might want to stick with just the whipped cream
actually :-(
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/debbie-harry-mercedes-benz-fashion-week-spring-2008-marc-jacobs-arrivals-vw7yDO.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May, 07:42, Lobster wrote:
Tim S wrote:
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:
Can I have a prize?
Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

Debbie Harry and a bushel of whipped cream out of the question then? But we
like magnets too.

30 years on, you might want to stick with just the whipped cream
actually :-(
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/debbie-harry-mercedes-benz-fa...

What about whipped cream and Julia Bradbury aka Walking Man's totty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Bradbury
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the 'across
flats' dimension?

I know its pie fag er indoors, but I can't get my head around it - I
blame a long day in the sun.

2600. Near enough.

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the
'across flats' dimension?

**** simple - but work it out yourself

consider the hexagon to be 6 equilateral triangles with side lengths
of 1500

I'd got that far all by myself. Then my brain froze.

It then becomes a trivial geometric exercise

It would be trivial if could remember it all. Should have spent more
time listening in class & less time passing notes to Julie Tolson...

Not as accurate as calculating, but a simple vector drawing prog should
give you the answer - Draw on this old Acorn did it in seconds.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the 'across
flats' dimension?

**** simple - but work it out yourself

consider the hexagon to be 6 equilateral triangles with side lengths of
1500

It then becomes a trivial geometric exercise

I know its pie fag er indoors, but I can't get my head around it - I blame
long day in the sun.

--
geoff

It becomes 1500 x srt of 3 when you look at it that way.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not as accurate as calculating, but a simple vector drawing prog should
give you the answer - Draw on this old Acorn did it in seconds.

thread hijack alert!

That reminds me! Dave, or anyone who knows !Draw, have you ever seen a
decent Windoze equivalent?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Not as accurate as calculating, but a simple vector drawing prog should
give you the answer - Draw on this old Acorn did it in seconds.

thread hijack alert!

That reminds me! Dave, or anyone who knows !Draw, have you ever seen a
decent Windoze equivalent?

http://www.inkscape.org/download/

Is said to be based on !Draw, but I haven't really tried it. But I used an
add on prog to make the hexagon - called Drawlots. That wouldn't work with
Inkscape.

Of course you could buy Virtual RPC which allows you run pretty well any
RISC OS prog on a PC - think there's a free version too.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

http://www.inkscape.org/download/

I use it on linux - pretty reasonable vector drawing program.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
That reminds me! Dave, or anyone who knows !Draw, have you ever seen a
decent Windoze equivalent?

Blimey. A blast from the past. !Draw was great, wasn't it?

Inkscape is about the best current replacement, although it's never felt
as natural to me.

Google Sketchup is worth investigating as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is said to be based on !Draw, but I haven't really tried it. But I used an
add on prog to make the hexagon - called Drawlots. That wouldn't work with
Inkscape.

Ta, I shall give it a bash.

Of course you could buy Virtual RPC which allows you run pretty well any
RISC OS prog on a PC - think there's a free version too.

Hah, can beat that - I've got my old A3000 in the garage (having been
evicted from my mum's house where its spent many a long year) if I had
space to set it up!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 May 2009 11:46:47 UTC, Scott M wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is said to be based on !Draw, but I haven't really tried it. But I used an
add on prog to make the hexagon - called Drawlots. That wouldn't work with
Inkscape.

Ta, I shall give it a bash.

Of course you could buy Virtual RPC which allows you run pretty well any
RISC OS prog on a PC - think there's a free version too.

Hah, can beat that - I've got my old A3000 in the garage (having been
evicted from my mum's house where its spent many a long year) if I had
space to set it up!

It may only be a replica, but I've just built one of these....

http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120-2.htm

We're talking 1960s.... (I built the front panel too)

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

Blimey. A blast from the past. !Draw was great, wasn't it?

Spent many a happy hour of my late childhood drawing all sorts of things
in it. I can never get my head round the idea that such a program isn't
a mandatory part of an OS. That or a real time memory hex editor (anyone
remember the one that came with the Watford Electronics Shadow RAM board
for the Model B?)

Inkscape is about the best current replacement, although it's never felt
as natural to me.

Another vote. That throws the rest of my afternoon out while I try it then!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2009 07:42:07 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Tim S wrote:
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Can I have a prize?
Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

Debbie Harry and a bushel of whipped cream out of the question then? But we
like magnets too.

30 years on, you might want to stick with just the whipped cream
actually :-(
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/debbie-harry-mercedes-benz-fashion-week-spring-2008-marc-jacobs-arrivals-vw7yDO.jpg

looks as if the cream is now internal.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
My brain has just frozen.

For a hexagon with each side measuring 1500, what would be the 'across
flats' dimension?

I know its pie fag er indoors, but I can't get my head around it - I blame a
long day in the sun.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Across the flats (half way betwen intersections) is 1299x2=2598
opposite intersections (corner to 60 degree corner) are 1500x2
(equilateral triangles)=3000
hope that helps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim wrote:
That reminds me! Dave, or anyone who knows !Draw, have you ever seen a
decent Windoze equivalent?

Blimey. A blast from the past. !Draw was great, wasn't it?

No 'was' - versions of it are still being developed.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Blimey. A blast from the past. !Draw was great, wasn't it?

Spent many a happy hour of my late childhood drawing all sorts of things
in it. I can never get my head round the idea that such a program isn't
a mandatory part of an OS.

It's one of the reasons I still use a RISC OS machine. CAD progs that do
the same (and more, of course) are just to complicated to bother with for
me. It's excellent for sketching out pretty well anything - if like me you
can't draw freehand for toffee.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Is is decking?

Can I have a prize?

Piggin typical. Spent ages last night working out a cutting list to price
the job up. Quite excited about doing my first hexagonal deck.

Lady rang me this morning to say she had changed her mind & wants a square
one instead...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Is is decking?

Can I have a prize?

Piggin typical. Spent ages last night working out a cutting list to price
the job up. Quite excited about doing my first hexagonal deck.

Lady rang me this morning to say she had changed her mind & wants a square
one instead...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Ask Drivel to work out the "across flats" on that one.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
Tim S wrote:
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Can I have a prize?
Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

Debbie Harry and a bushel of whipped cream out of the question then?
But we
like magnets too.

30 years on, you might want to stick with just the whipped cream
actually :-(
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-pho...edes-benz-fash
ion-week-spring-2008-marc-jacobs-arrivals-vw7yDO.jpg

Waaaaa

Tell me it can't be so ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Can I have a prize?
Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

Debbie Harry and a bushel of whipped cream out of the question then? But
we
like magnets too.

30 years on, you might want to stick with just the whipped cream
actually :-(
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/debbie-harry-mercedes-benz-fashion-week-spring-2008-marc-jacobs-arrivals-vw7yDO.jpg

looks as if the cream is now internal.
--
Peter.

Do not Google for that

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:29:08 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lady rang me this morning to say she had changed her mind & wants a square
one instead...

Give her an extra two sides for free!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-05-07, Lobster wrote:
Tim S wrote:
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Can I have a prize?
Only prize I have is a TMH fridge magnet - any good?

Debbie Harry and a bushel of whipped cream out of the question then? But
we
like magnets too.

30 years on, you might want to stick with just the whipped cream
actually :-(
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/debbie-harry-mercedes-benz-fashion-week-spring-2008-marc-jacobs-arrivals-vw7yDO.jpg

She don't look bad for 64.

This one looks better

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-pho...rcedes-benz-fa
shion-week-spring-2008-marc-jacobs-arrivals-vw7yDO.jpg

She don't look bad for 64.

This one looks better

Go on, you would, wouldn't you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
mark wrote:
The square on the hippopotamus = the squares of the othe two sides.

It's the *squaw* on the hippopotamus.

D'oh!

Equals the sum of the squaws on the other two hides?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Owain wrote:
mark wrote:
The square on the hippopotamus = the squares of the othe two sides.

It's the *squaw* on the hippopotamus.

D'oh!

Equals the sum of the squaws on the other two hides?

Thank you children,

No detention for you today

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Owain wrote:
mark wrote:
The square on the hippopotamus = the squares of the othe two sides.

It's the *squaw* on the hippopotamus.

D'oh!

Equals the sum of the squaws on the other two hides?

Thank you children,

No detention for you today

Please sir, sir.

FXputs hand up

How about; Some Officers Have, Curly Auburn Hair, Till Old Age.

I can still remember that!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Hexagon cutting tablesaw jig Neal Woodworking 33 October 31st 06 11:22 AM
hexagon Patt Woodworking 8 June 18th 06 05:05 PM
Hexagon nuts wont budge... nige UK diy 12 March 28th 06 01:29 PM