Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rant Time - Road Edging

Hi all

Yes - totally OT, but had to vent on this one!
I live in an image conscious village west of Hull called Swanland.
Along with a neighbouring village, North Ferriby, a lot of vounteer work is
done to keep the place looking smart (planting tubs etc).

Between the villages there is a stretch of road with an elevated path
alongside for maybe 200 yards. The path kept breaking up, so the council
have put up a form of retaining wall. In section, this is like oval shaped
about 600 x 300 (oval laid on its side), with interlocking teeth to allow
location of blocks. The problems a
The colour is sand stone which is not in keeping with the area
The top line of the blocks is very "wavey" like a string line hasn't been
used to set the level/fall
The blocks should follow the curve of the road but meander in unsightly
manner.
Is there a total lack of quality control on this type of work?

At the end of the retaining wall, the blocks do not taper down to the
surrounding path or road level, but simply stop abruptly. Is it a
requirement for road edging to taper down like kerbstones do at drive
entrances? Any collision with this end face of wall would completely wreck
the front end of a vehicle.

OK feeling much calmer now

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Yes - totally OT, but had to vent on this one!
I live in an image conscious village west of Hull called Swanland.
Along with a neighbouring village, North Ferriby, a lot of vounteer
work is done to keep the place looking smart (planting tubs etc).

Well done that man!

Between the villages there is a stretch of road with an elevated path
alongside for maybe 200 yards. The path kept breaking up, so the
council have put up a form of retaining wall. In section, this is
like oval shaped about 600 x 300 (oval laid on its side), with
interlocking teeth to allow location of blocks. The problems a
The colour is sand stone which is not in keeping with the area
The top line of the blocks is very "wavey" like a string line hasn't
been used to set the level/fall
The blocks should follow the curve of the road but meander in
unsightly manner.
Is there a total lack of quality control on this type of work?

Surely the work that has been done is to protect the safety of the
pedestrians who use that path - If it does that without compromising safety
(due to actual poor workmanship), then what's the probem?

From your rant, it seems that you are the typical "village idiot" where
"image consciousness of that village" comes well before the safety and
wellbeing of most its residents - and others?

At the end of the retaining wall, the blocks do not taper down to the
surrounding path or road level, but simply stop abruptly. Is it a
requirement for road edging to taper down like kerbstones do at drive
entrances? Any collision with this end face of wall would completely
wreck the front end of a vehicle.

Sod the damage to any vehicle - it shouldn't be on the pavement anyway. Or
are you also one of those idiotic drivers who think that all pavement areas
are "car parks", and put there just for the motoris who's too lazy to park
legall and properly on the public highway?

OK feeling much calmer now

That's a pity 'cause I just rewound that coiled-spring in you!

Woodworm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Pictures? I'm having difficulty visualising some of what you're describing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May, 17:40, "Clive George" wrote:
Pictures? I'm having difficulty visualising some of what you're describing.

Aye, he lost me at "image conscious" and "Hull" ! 8-)

(...and yes, I lived in Cottingham for a couple of years)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Woodworm" wrote

Yes - totally OT, but had to vent on this one!
I live in an image conscious village west of Hull called Swanland.
Along with a neighbouring village, North Ferriby, a lot of vounteer
work is done to keep the place looking smart (planting tubs etc).

Well done that man!

I didn't claim to do this work myself, but do appreciate the efforts of
those who improve the area for the benefit of all. Old fashioned values
admittedly, in this age where litter strewn streets and barbed wire topped
fencing are accepted as the norm in many places.

Between the villages there is a stretch of road with an elevated path
alongside for maybe 200 yards. The path kept breaking up, so the
council have put up a form of retaining wall. In section, this is
like oval shaped about 600 x 300 (oval laid on its side), with
interlocking teeth to allow location of blocks. The problems a
The colour is sand stone which is not in keeping with the area
The top line of the blocks is very "wavey" like a string line hasn't
been used to set the level/fall
The blocks should follow the curve of the road but meander in
unsightly manner.
Is there a total lack of quality control on this type of work?

Surely the work that has been done is to protect the safety of the
pedestrians who use that path - If it does that without compromising
safety (due to actual poor workmanship), then what's the probem?

From your rant, it seems that you are the typical "village idiot" where
"image consciousness of that village" comes well before the safety and
wellbeing of most its residents - and others?

Quite the opposite, my vote is for practicality over aesthetics every time,
but appearance is still a consideration.
My gripe is over a council who will have private home-owners submitting
planning applications for minor works and jumping through hoops to maintain
the appearance of "the street scene". The same council then install a
retaining wall that is poorly built out of materials that are seriously
out-of-keeping with the surroundings.

At the end of the retaining wall, the blocks do not taper down to the
surrounding path or road level, but simply stop abruptly. Is it a
requirement for road edging to taper down like kerbstones do at drive
entrances? Any collision with this end face of wall would completely
wreck the front end of a vehicle.

On narrow(ish) country-type roads it is often necessary to use the full
width of the carriageway.
There are regularly horses on this stretch and the retaining wall is on the
inside of a bend - so no, it would not need someone attempting to use the
path as a car park to result in a collision on this poorly lit stretch of
road.

My question, which has not been answered was genuine - at this exposed
point, is it not a requirement to taper said wall down to road level?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote

Aye, he lost me at "image conscious" and "Hull" ! 8-)

You've obviously not been taken in by all the hype about city centre
revival, marina development, the success of The Deep blah blah...

(...and yes, I lived in Cottingham for a couple of years)

2 years in Cott - whereabouts? I was there for 7 (off Castle Road).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 May 2009 08:56:58 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

My question, which has not been answered was genuine - at this exposed
point, is it not a requirement to taper said wall down to road level?

I for one am having great difficulty in visualising what this "wall" is. A
picture (or three) is worth a thousand words...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

My question, which has not been answered was genuine - at this exposed
point, is it not a requirement to taper said wall down to road level?

I for one am having great difficulty in visualising what this "wall" is. A
picture (or three) is worth a thousand words...

--

Dave
Not quite a picture, but this sketch may make things clearer
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=Kerb.jpg

Road in fore-ground which drops away left to right.
Strange kerb-retaining wall thing then footpath with low banking behind.
Don't have time to show the kerb blocks on curved road but, if you imagine
these are set on a curving slope and look like they've been installed by an
unsupervised community support worker on drugs you'll understand the build
quality.
All other kerbing nearby is standard grey stuff sometimes double height, the
construction drawn is sand stone coloured.
One key point is the "blunt end" shown, which is right on the road side
about 10-12" tall.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Do you have a digital camera, or access to one? Coz a photo would be _so_
much better. Your sketch hasn't really helped at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

From your rant, it seems that you are the typical "village idiot" where
[...]

You could start with your local councillor. If the wall looks like a cows
**** and is possibly dangerous then they may help.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 May, 09:08, "TheScullster" wrote:

(...and yes, I lived in Cottingham for a couple of years)

2 years in Cott - whereabouts? *I was there for 7 (off Castle Road).

Put it this way - I had a blue door and orange curtains 8-)

If you will threaten Sherry's pavement from time to time clients, it will consistently travel the protocol. Jessica[_6_] Metalworking 0 December 10th 07 12:41 AM
Just scheduling from time to time a bathroom in search of the garage is too historic for Joie to glare it. Gavin Electronics Repair 0 December 9th 07 11:52 PM
Edging soup UK diy 2 September 23rd 06 09:39 PM
edging Ed D Ball UK diy 4 May 8th 06 02:06 AM
ON TOPIC (RANT) MidAmerican Extrusions (RANT) Pedro Metalworking 4 April 25th 05 11:02 PM